4 cyl or 6?

1 hour ago, homelesshartshorns said:

Do I want a 4 cylinder toad ?

It just depends on what is important to you. I know a very happy class A owner who is towing a Smart that has no cylinders at all! Another acquaintance tows a V-8 Hummer and is happy with it. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Many newer makes may have 2, 3, or 4 cylinder engines and turbos thereby making them much lighter and faster than some 6 or 8 cylinder.  In todays auto market the number of cylinders for a toad really is of no consideration to me.

We needed a pretty narrow and light toad because of hauling it inside an enclosed trailer not equipped with a side escape door.  We also stuck with only front wheel drive just in case someday we might want to switch and put it on a dolly.  Ended up with a Mini Cooper.

What requirements for a toad are you after?

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

I would think that the transmission is more important. My thought is that the transmission needs to have lubrication going down the road. This is if you flat tow the toad. The number of cylinders is not a deal breaker for me.

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

4 hours ago, homelesshartshorns said:
4 hours ago, homelesshartshorns said:

Is this because you are concerned about "power"?  

What are you towing now on the tow dolly? The more important question is can I tow it using a dolly or 4 down. Be aware that some all wheel drive cars can't be towed on a dolly but can be towed 4 down, I have a 2014 CR-V that is that way. 

Bill

2008 Newmar Mountain Aire model 4521
450 hp Cummins ISM
Allison 4000MH tran.
Towing a 2014 Honda CRV with a blue Ox tow bar

Home base Fort Worth Texas

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

-Mark Twain-

You are going to be happy towing 4 down.:D

I see you have been some of the places I have. Where are you now?

Bill

450 hp Cummins ISM
Allison 4000MH tran.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

-Mark Twain-

I'd start by deciding exactly what you want in a towed. Are you looking for luxury, fuel economy, off-road capability, passenger-carrying capability, etc.? Once you have that figured out you can look at vehicles that meet your desires. Cross off the list of those that can't be towed four-down (if that's the way you are going) or can't be towed with a dolly (if you're going that way). If you've going to use a trailer you will have to check that the car can physically fit in the trailer and doesn't overload it. Then you can make sure that your MH can tow whatever combination you come up with. Sounds harder than it is.

BTW, many of us rely on remcotowing.com to tell us what can and cannot be towed four-down. Sometimes their information doesn't agree with the car manufacturer. If a warranty is involved I'd go with what the manufacturer says. Example: lots of people tow manual transmission Mini Coopers four down with no problems. Mini says that's a no-no.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 7:34 PM, WILDEBILL308 said:

You are going to be happy towing 4 down.:D

I see you have been some of the places I have. Where are you now?

Bill

Swan Lake NWR

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

George Hartshorn | Facebook

Swan Lake NWR

Near Mendon, MO? I haven't stayed there but have stayed in Sedalia, KC and St Louis. Looks like a nice area.

What tow bar/brake system are you looking going to use?

Bill

450 hp Cummins ISM
Allison 4000MH tran.

-Mark Twain-

Archived