Minimum requirement for WA HDT MH title

MikeShatt

Hello,
new member here. I am in the process of my conversion, and would like to know from someone that would know the min. that I would need to do to my truck (2003 VNL 660), to be able to license it in Washington State as a motorhome, so that I would not need a CDL to drive it. At this time I do have the Jackalopee wired up, and working, I have an inverter that runs my fridge, and microwave. What else must I have at min.
Thank you,
Mike

Mr. Cob (Dave Hooker) lives in Washington and has had two different HDT’s hopefully he will be along soon to answer your question.  You should also be able to talk with him in person at the WCR.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

I'm not in Washington but this is what I did.

Go to your local DMV. They should be able to tell you what is required. I asked nicely and they printed the page out of the book for me to take home.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

12 hours ago, Jaydrvr said:

Hello Mike,

Welcome to the forum. Read as much as you can in the resource guide. There is a lot of good info there. The resource guide helped me with my truck conversion for Ohio.

Good luck with the build and please post pictures. They all love pictures here.
Al

Edited by alan0043

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Hi mike where are you located at  I am in Wenatchee .All I had to do was go to the department of licensing and get a description of a motor home . They will be able to tell you what's required in vehicle to me that description I believe the want 6 items they require at least 4 such as porta poti (got one don't use it)cook station fridge kitchen  table  microwave. Didn't have to be inspected for this .But they  told me if I do get inspected  and  I don't have the basic requirements it would be bad

Here is what I did 14 years ago in Mount Vernon. Had a bill of sale called the vehicle inspector from the local WSP office and found out no inspection needed. Printed out copy of RCW 46.04.305 and went to the local auditors office. Told them very little other than wanted to register this over the road tractor that is converted to a motorhome as a motorhome. Paid required fees and walked away with the vehicle registration saying it is a motorhome.

cat called Anne May

Lifetime SKP member 93117

2021 Renegade Classic 45' DD13 with a DT12 

runaway, I am located in the Tri-Cities. I have printed and filled out the certificate of fact, will be getting that notarized, and the truck weighed, and see what happens.

I really appreciate all the comments, very big help and is giving me more confidence about the process.

any suggestions on insurance companies that will insure such a conversion?

Give Miller insurance a call.  They are a broker that specializes in RV policies.  I went through them and have been happy with their service.  There are a few other brokers who specialize in the RV market and are recommended here regularly whose names escape me right now, but I’m sure someone will come along and have that information soon.

Edited by Chad Heiser

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

25 minutes ago, MikeShatt said:

runaway, I am located in the Tri-Cities. I have printed and filled out the certificate of fact, will be getting that notarized, and the truck weighed, and see what happens.

I really appreciate all the comments, very big help and is giving me more confidence about the process.

any suggestions on insurance companies that will insure such a conversion?

State farm is who we go threw .I had to take truck to them to prove I had removed the commercial  hitch and glad hands air lines .they needed to take pictures for the underwriter . had to prove it was no longer a commercial vehicle

4 hours ago, MikeShatt said:

Good info, didn't even think about having to take the glad hands off.

Don't take off any more than necessary.  You may want that air available some day, like if you choose to convert to BluDot.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

On 4/4/2019 at 4:14 PM, MikeShatt said:

Hello,
new member here. I am in the process of my conversion, and would like to know from someone that would know the min. that I would need to do to my truck (2003 VNL 660), to be able to license it in Washington State as a motorhome, so that I would not need a CDL to drive it. At this time I do have the Jackalopee wired up, and working, I have an inverter that runs my fridge, and microwave. What else must I have at min.
Thank you,
Mike

Howdy Mike,

Welcome to the forum and towing with a real truck.

I can't remember off hand exactly what the requirements are, there are 6 but you only have to fulfill 4 in order to legally CONVERT an over the road tractor to a MOTOR HOME, here in the Peoples Republik of Washington.

I went the EASY route, my truck has a sleeper so that fulfills that requirement for permanent sleeping quarters. My truck came with a refrigerator, I installed a micro wave and an inverter to power it, that's makes two requirements fulfilled.  Later after I had driven the rig home I installed an inverter-charger this gave me shore power, that's a third requirement. And to fulfill a fourth requirement I bought a PortaPotty that is still in the original box, never to be open or used, the box with the PortaPotty fits under the bunk, its out of the way but its THERE.

So that was enough to legally CONVERT my truck to a motor home.  Be aware that IF for whatever reason you are inspected, once you sign and submit the STATEMENT OF FACT, you can be fined BIG TIME along with other costly problems if you DON'T have in place what you said you did when you filed and had notarized that statement.

When I bought my first HDT a Freightliner it was titled as a HOUSE CAR in North Dakota, to make it a MOTOR HOME in Washington, I added the PortaPotty.  When I bought my Pete it was an over the road tractor, in order to legally drive it home from Minnesota I added the micro wave, the inverter and a shore power plug and the PortaPotty, then sent the documents over night back to Washington, they then sent to me license plates, tabs and registration as a MOTOR HOME.  As I don't have a CDL, I needed to do this so I could drive the Pete home legally.

I hope this has been of help to you.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

6 hours ago, MikeShatt said:

Dave,
very good information. Thank you.
I have the 4 items you mentioned, and a certificate of fact. I will be getting notarized asap.
I am hoping to be able to take that in and get my plates and tabs.
Does WA require a weight ticket?

Howdy Mike,

Yes, you will need a weight ticket, its a good idea to have receipts for the items like micro wave, inverter, PortaPotty, etc that are needed for the conversion when you take your statement of fact in to get it notarized.  If the folks you deal with to get the plates know what they are doing you should be able to get everything in one trip, if they don't know the laws and how they are applied you could be in for a hassle.  I have no idea where you live but if your within reasonable driving distance of Granite Falls, go to the local licensing place called "The Mail Zone" at the corner of 84th street and Hwy 92, ask for Angie, she can take care of you.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

10 minutes ago, MikeShatt said:

Thank you everyone for the information. I did as was suggested and had no issues getting it registered.

will include photos soon, before the build of the bed begins.

Howdy Mike,

Glad to hear you have your paper work in order.  What part of Washington do you live in?

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

1 hour ago, MikeShatt said:

Doesn't look like my last response went through.
Dave, I am in the Tri-Cities.
Also, I am looking for a bed, on the inexpensive side right now, I need to but a bumper hitch receiver on as well.

Howdy Mike,

I probably pass through your area at least a couple of times a year, on my way to events I attend.  I would encourage you to attend the WCR (West Coast Rally) its held not to far from you just outside of Caldwell Idaho, there is an ongoing thread concerning it in this forum.  Attending one of the HDT rallies is the BEST way to get ideas and see what other folks have done, doing so could save you a ton of money as well as introduce you to some of the best and most helpful people you will ever meet.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

3 minutes ago, MikeShatt said:

I have been reading that thread, and I am very interested in going, although it would have to be just for the weekend, due to not being retired yet.

Howdy Mike,

Seriously, it would be a weekend very well spend, even if you did nothing but walk around the campground and look at how the other rigs are setup, doing this would a great education and in the end save you big money as you could see what others have done and not have to reinvent the wheel.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg