Amazon plans satellite internet system

How many "thousands of satellites"  LEO systems can we deploy before they start posing a threat to space launches that have to pass through their orbits?

Most of the present space junk is in an equitorial orbit, close to the geosynchronous arc which occupies a small percentage of the available sky.  The LEO constellations are lower orbits, so their web will be everywhere and constantly in motion across the sky.

Better and faster Internet access is fine, but I'd hate to see space launches constrained or placed in danger from having to pass through the paths of these constellations.

Edited by Lou Schneider

6 hours ago, Zulu said:

All this technology is for naught if it costs too much to use. 

I've seen a $50/mo price point mentioned, but I don't know any particulars as to speed, caps, etc.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

11 hours ago, Zulu said:

There's also the reception devices. I heard "pizza box" sized antennas . . .

(image)

Yes, Elon has mentioned the "pizza box" antenna/receiver a number of times. It will be interesting to see how adaptable it is to portable RV use rather than just RV roof use. It won't need aiming, but it will need a clear sky view.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Yes, it's important to remember that this is still satellite, and still not as "portable" or as easy to use as cellular.  The current satellite systems such as BGAN use an antenna like this, which likely will still be used with the new stuff, at least at first:

thrane_expl_N.jpg

The big differences in the new system are the orbit level, and the throughput.  Current systems orbit higher, which means farther, which means high latency.  Latency makes some applications annoying and others unusable.  Web usage with high latency means an annoyingly slow response to clicks.  For things like voice and two-way video, it means a long delay between the person speaking and the person hearing.  I have had two satellite phones, and had to train everyone I talked to that they need to wait half a second between speaking and hearing a response.

The throughput on this is huge, while old systems were super slow.  That means the old systems had to charge a lot.  These will have lots of capacity so it will be cheap.

• 1 month later...
On 4/4/2019 at 7:02 PM, docj said:

Although satellite phones are available all over the world, cell phones in Europe and Asia are tower-based, just like ours.

that's why they are called "cell" phones.

i would not hold my breath for internet satellite phone access just yet. (price per bit). and who here thinks we need more trash in orbit around this small blue marble?

with in 20 years there will be a couple major crashes up there. and make billions of more junk things flying around at 10 of thousands of mph. in 30 years at least one human will die thanks to all the junk up there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_debr

http://go.discovery.com/dscovrd/space/this-is-how-much-garbage-weve-left-in-orbit-around-earth/