TV in the RV...Part 1

I wrote a quick part one on how I've been streaming TV into my trailer for nearly two years now....When I'm boondocking, lots of folks come and ask how I'm watching TV without a satellite dish...Here's how

www.rvbprecision.com

http://www.rvbprecision.com

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

17 minutes ago, rbertalotto said:

Strange, not sure what is happening. I just edited the link. maybe it works now.

Now the link takes to me your webpage, but I still dont see the post on streaming.  Maybe either I am messed up or my computer is.

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

I have found I get a better signal in my Travler dish than on my cellular devices in many places. I carry a portable too and I agree that it is a pain to aim but the travler is great and much more reliable than my hotspot or cell phone.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I have found I get a better signal in my Travler dish than on my cellular devices in many places. I carry a portable too and I agree that it is a pain to aim but the travler is great and much more reliable than my hotspot or cell phone.

In part 2 we will discuss this. It's important because in a few years satellite broadcast will be going away. Streaming is the future.

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

www.rvbprecision.com

16 hours ago, rbertalotto said:

In part 2 we will discuss this. It's important because in a few years satellite broadcast will be going away. Streaming is the future.

Satellite TV may be going away, but satellite internet is on the horizon. Elon Musk's SpaceX is in the process of launching thousands of low orbit satellites.

Tom
—————————————————
2005 Born Free 24' Rear Bath
Towing 1978 VW Bug convertible
Minneapolis, MN

28 minutes ago, Tom_M said:

Elon Musk's SpaceX is in the process of launching thousands of low orbit satellites.

That's his plan, but, at present his first actual satellite (out of the > 4,000 needed) is supposed to launch sometime in 2019.  So saying that SpaceX is "in the process of launching thousands of satellites" is a bit of a stretch.

Here's more information about his plan: https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg24032033-300-the-first-detailed-look-at-how-elon-musks-space-internet-could-work/

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Last summer space xlaunched acrocket that deployed multiple,low orbit satellites from a single rocket. Huge advantage. They need to launch 6500 mini, low orbit, decaying orbit satellites. In fact, they actually launched one from a fighter jet that was at so 70,000 ft when it fired a rocket into low orbit.

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

www.rvbprecision.com

20 hours ago, Big5er said:

I've never tried streaming, but we're often in places when traveling to and from our home in the winter where we either have no cell service, or just 3G or 1X...not good enough for streaming.

I've always wondered, though, what kind of programming you can get with streaming?  Besides network news and some prime time shows, we watch a lot of HGTV, DIY, Discovery, Animal Planet, NatGeo Wild, Science, Travel Channel, and MSNBC.  Are these available with any streaming services?

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Every single one of those shows and thousands more are available streaming. With the right equipment I have never not been able to get good enough cell service to stream video. Stay tuned for more info on this.

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

www.rvbprecision.com

We've been internet-only for our TV at home and while traveling for over ten years now.  Once you stop seeing ads and other BS telling you what to watch and think, you realize that you can get "everything" online because you aren't looking for the things they are telling you to go look for.  We download some shows to have with us while traveling, which means we don't need a connection to stream.  When boondocking or otherwise in low coverage areas, this solves the problem.  Then it can be played right on a laptop or tablet outside, or streamed locally to the TV inside.  

3 minutes ago, Carlos said:

We've been internet-only for our TV at home and while traveling for over ten years now.  Once you stop seeing ads and other BS telling you what to watch and think, you realize that you can get "everything" online because you aren't looking for the things they are telling you to go look for.  We download some shows to have with us while traveling, which means we don't need a connection to stream.  When boondocking or otherwise in low coverage areas, this solves the problem.  Then it can be played right on a laptop or tablet outside, or streamed locally to the TV inside.  

I'm glad for you.  It's good that you have been able to do that.  However, just because this works for you is no reason to be condescending to others who make a different choice.

Not everyone is content with what you watch.  I don't watch "ads" and other "BS telling you what to watch and think".  I am a free thinker and decide what I want to "watch and think" and I can not get everything on the internet.  Ten years ago?  Not even close.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

11 minutes ago, Carlos said:

Once you stop seeing ads and other BS telling you what to watch and think, you realize that you can get "everything" online because you aren't looking for the things they are telling you to go look for. 

Just now, Carlos said:

It wasn't condescending.  There was no emotion at all in my post, just the facts of our situation.  You can do whatever you want.

Your implication that we are unable to know what to "watch and think" without "seeing ads and other BS" is indeed condescending.  Emotion is not a necessary element of condescending.

I usually do whatever I want, with or without your permission.  🙂

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

One of my customers is a market research company, and they serve a few entertainment and media companies.  What I said is exactly what they've also told me, and they are helping these companies figure out how to market to the new generation that isn't as susceptible to ads and all that junk.  The experts in marketing are saying this, it's not just my words.  So you can choose to feel however you want about it, but there was no intent of anything from my side other than spreading what the industry thinks is fact.

Netflix is doing the best job of embracing the new way of getting consumers interested in media.  

Archived