Almost full timers.....

tracylea

All we've done so far is haul our new to us 5th wheel to our daughter and son in laws home but in May we are moving out of our home (our two sons and a friend will be renting it from us until the market gets better here to sell it) and living in our 35 foot Montana high country full time.  We have some short trips planned in our area to get our routine down properly as far as setup/breakdown at camp.  Thank goodness our daughter and son in law have been rving for years now because they have been a huge help.  The only advice we didn't take from them was buying a brand new rv.  We found one a couple bought used once or twice and decided they didn't like it so ours is like new even the place that did a check on it for us said they doubted the people used it at all.  So we're very happy with it.  Husband wanted a toy hauler for our golf cart but there just wasn't enough space in it if I have to live in it for the next however many years.  We have a smart trailer so he is in the process of figuring a hitch set up to haul his cart behind the 5th wheel here at home in Texas.  And I know, everyone says don't do it but the only place  we'll take it is to Port A, no where else.  Most of the time the cart will be at our home on the lake and our boys will most definitely enjoy it in the summer lakeside.  I am slightly excited to see how much I enjoy this new lifestyle we've decided to try.  My husband has always wanted to do this I just wanted a little home in the sticks with him, my horse and the dogs but I'll give it a shot.  My horse and I are both finally retired from our crazy teaching schedule so now is as great a time as any.  As soon as we sell our home I've already told my husband we are becoming Escapees!

Edited by tracylea

Welcome to the forum.  We began the same way by purchasing a gently used fiver as our first RV for full timing.  We also found a brand specific forum to match our fiver and those folks were great helping me out on doing repairs and maintenance on the exact model I had.

Good luck with your upcoming travels.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

Congrats on the new adventure! We are officially 4 years to the day from retiring/full timing.

One aspect of it we need to figure out is what to do with the house and have considered renting it or just selling, depending on how the market will be at the time. 

Also something to be careful with is towing behind your 5er. Some Montana's just have a class 1 or 2 receiver hitch that I'm sure aren't rated to handle the tongue weight of a trailer stout enough for a golf cart. Others that have a class 3 hitch will probably work but you need to be careful with weight capacites etc.(another rabbit hole in itself).

From what I understand, it is not recommend to put a hitch on a Montana that doesnt have a factory installed receiver already on it. Speaking from experience here as our original plan was to tow a Toyota Tacoma behind the 5er, but have learned that isn't a safe option. At least we have time to figure it out.

Looking forward to hearing how things work out for you!

Edited by TravellingCircus

3 hours ago, TravellingCircus said:

One aspect of it we need to figure out is what to do with the house and have considered renting it or just selling, depending on how the market will be at the time. 

One thing to explore is how much money storage costs for your furniture if you move out and rent it.  If you're serious about full-timing and not just "going to try it for a year or two" then consider selling the furniture instead of storage.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

7 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

One thing to explore is how much money storage costs for your furniture if you move out and rent it.  If you're serious about full-timing and not just "going to try it for a year or two" then consider selling the furniture instead of storage.

At this time we are fully committed to full timing. That might (albeit unlikely) change before we get there. Other options are renting/selling furnished which is becoming popular in my locale.