Windows 10 update version 1903: Act fast to delay this big upgrade

RV_

Every time Microsoft rolls out the annual updates in April and October it breaks some computers. Ed Bott a senior tech writer for ZDNet on Windows topics, and one I admire and trust, has step by step instructions on how to do what I just did following the instructions in his article. I just set my Windows 10 Pro on all my machines to delay major updates for 90 days. He also shows you how to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro if you have not already in one of the links in the article.

Excerpt:

" Each time Microsoft rolls out a major upgrade to Windows 10, you have the option to wait a few months before you install it on PCs running Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise. But you have to act quickly.

Sometime this month, Microsoft will finalize its next big feature update. If the company follows its longstanding practice, Windows Update servers will begin delivering the Windows 10 version 1903 update in April, to current installations of Windows 10 that have been running for at least 30 days.

This is the latest feature update in Microsoft's new twice-a-year release cadence, and you should view it with the skepticism any initial public release of a new Windows version deserves. In a business setting, that typically means delaying the upgrade for a few months while you deploy the new release on a smaller number of test devices.

This deferral process is available only on PCs running business and education editions, such as Windows 10 Pro, Windows 10 Enterprise, and Windows 10 Education. Windows 10 Home does not offer any deferral options. (On a PC running Windows 10 Home, you might be able to upgrade at no cost. See "How to upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro for free" for details.)"

To read the whole article with the steps and other hotlinks to related material like what's in the new version, go to the full article here:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-update-act-fast-to-delay-this-big-upgrade/?ftag=TREc64629f&bhid=19724681974700635514865380622813

Safe computing!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

As a side note, Microsoft just certified version 1809 for general release.  With the short life cycle these versions get, they are almost end of life by the time most of the bugs are worked out.  

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-officially-designates-windows-10-1809-as-ready-for-broad-deployment/

Safe Travels... 

Edited by k4rs
Darn typos...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

• 2 months later...

I updated my LG Gram notebook with i7 processor to 1903 on May 22 without a hitch. So far so good. It's always best to do a fresh install, but don't know if I could find all the drivers I needed, so I did a reset which put my PC back to factory fresh condition. Uninstalled all the unneeded crap and did an upgrade.

Tom
—————————————————
2005 Born Free 24' Rear Bath
Towing 1978 VW Bug convertible
Minneapolis, MN

I have updated my four PCs three days ago and six at the store  I look after yesterday without and real problems.

Locally, I made a USB Update drive.  There was an issue with PCs with other attached drives which was easily solved by copying the contents of the USB drive to local disk and running the update from there.

At the store, I created an .iso image file and moved it around the PCs for the update.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I too updated all my six systems in late April and May and had no issues, not even with the 2GB RAM/64GB storage 32 bit Venue 11 Pro tablet and Voyo Mini PC. I'm in my old house to sell it so have only one Surface Pro with me here and I left my local Internet service up. But those systems were updated before the move too with nary a problem. 

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire