MB killing off smart cars?

JonathanGill

I just saw this... https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/daimler-ceo-kallenius-considering-killing-smart/ .  Without smart cars, what's the next best option for a car sitting atop an RV hauler?  Nothing else is that short.  Jeeps are popular, but have to sit front-to back with the truck, adding much length.  Anyone been thinking about this?  (I'm inclined to use a singled-short HDT as a daily driver, or convince my wife that a Can-Am Spyder would be a good idea...?)  I'm still years away from pulling the trigger on an HDT, which means smart cars will be long gone by then...

Kandi  is the manufacturer referred to above. I have seen the smart clone in the  US, but don't know if they were grey-market imports, or fully legal. They were all electric drive, no ICE powertrain versions. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

We're upgrading now, to a low mileage unit.  I gave a lot of thought to just buying a newer model, and hoarding it, to put in service after our 2013 wears out.  My wife pointed out that by the time we wear out the newer car, we'll likely not have a need for a smart at all.  We only put about 6k a year in it.  Hopefully, that will increase, as I've retired and will spend more time traveling.  

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

57 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

We're upgrading now, to a low mileage unit.  I gave a lot of thought to just buying a newer model, and hoarding it, to put in service after our 2013 wears out.  My wife pointed out that by the time we wear out the newer car, we'll likely not have a need for a smart at all.  We only put about 6k a year in it.  Hopefully, that will increase, as I've retired and will spend more time traveling.  

Are you going to put a bulletproof dome on it so it will be a true Popemobile?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

12 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Are you going to put a bulletproof dome on it so it will be a true Popemobile?

Don't need no stink'n dome.  When you ride in a smart, bullets can't catch you...🤣

Besides, anything we drive is a "Pope-mobile."

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

Cars sales people is so stoopid................

I've called multiple dealers who have smarts on the lot, advertised as pession or even prime.  Was ready to put a hold on one 400 miles away, but fortunately asked some questions......  Advertised as a very low mileage passion.  Had a metal roof, and no heated seats.  The ad also said it had 15" and 16" wheels, and automatic and 5 spd. manual.  🙄

Found one close to home, in a color only available on electrics, but advertised as gas/passion.  Umm, it has hub caps and metal roof too.

They're out there, if you wanna go on a road trip.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Archived