Satellite Finder

I started with Direct in 1993 and have used a tripod, compass and luck in a connection, traveling from North to South West to East as far as the Maritime Provinces. Without setting up in recent years and with my "Smart" phone, what is a good app for finding satellites? This Summer I will be setting up in 4 locations in S. CA. Buying a "Carry out" isn't in my plans. Thanks Jim Ault, overlander1@live.com

I used the $20 DishPointer app for several years and found it very good. When the free Winegard app came out, I compared the two for accuracy and ease of use, and found the Winegard app to be its equal. I now use the Winegard app for all of my setups as well as OTA aiming, and recommend it. The DishPointer website is very useful for accurate settings data, but is not capable of showing the view from a ground location to find the best gap in the trees or other obstructions.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

The Dishpointer app does show the gap through the trees. I never knew Dishpointer had a website with info. I'll need to go look. Also didn't know Winegard had an app. Been a few years since we have been happy with the Dishpointer app.

Live and learn..............

t

Yes, the DishPointer app shows an augmented reality view from your location, and as I said, it's very good. What I also said though, was that the DishPointer website does not give you that perspective, although it's quite useful for other satellite locating information, like the correct elevation, skew, and azimuth for your exact location. The big difference between the DP app and the Winegard app is the $20 price for the DP app versus no cost for the Winegard app. That the Winegard app also does OTA is also a plus.

Dutch

I like the website for the elevation and skew settings. Much more accurate that the ZIP code charts. If you're using an automatic dome, then those settings aren't needed of course. For our multi-tuner Dish Hopper, we use a portable tripod mounted Dish triple satellite 1000.4 dish where those settings are needed. I log the settings for everywhere new we set up, so I don't need to get them online the next time we visit that location.

Dutch

We have a Traveler now but use the tripod when needed. I looked on the phone and we have a secondary app called Sat Finder that I think we use when needed. Has the GPS, azimuth, elevation and skew. We haven't set up the tripod in over a year so everything is a bit fuzzy.

We also log the settings for wherever we go. I don't seem to recall we had many problems setting up the tripod over the years. More our problem than anything else 

I usually look up the settings for new parks before we arrive, so the DP website works best for me for that. On arrival, the DP app, and now the Winegard app, are my go to apps for finding the sweet spot for locating the dish. We primarily move around on the east coast and having Dish eastern and western arc sat capability gives us more options for sighting through the trees, as well as getting the locals that are eastern arc only.

Dutch

On 3/26/2019 at 4:03 PM, Dutch_12078 said:

Yes, the DishPointer app shows an augmented reality view from your location, and as I said, it's very good. What I also said though, was that the DishPointer website does not give you that perspective, although it's quite useful for other satellite locating information, like the correct elevation, skew, and azimuth for your exact location. The big difference between the DP app and the Winegard app is the $20 price for the DP app versus no cost for the Winegard app. That the Winegard app also does OTA is also a plus.

Thank you very much for your replies. I'm new at getting apps and want to add what has been recommended. I tried the Winegard but I couldn't understand how to use it. Would someone please call me to help answer questions on which ones would help me. I want to practice at home before the trip. Jim Ault 480-319-5806

The Winegard app is really pretty simple to use:

1. Open the app by tapping on the icon.

2. Tap "Satellite Pointer" to open that section.

3. Tap on the name of your satellite service to see the sat list.

4. Tap the "View AR" button to see the sat locations overlayed on your camera view.

5 Move around as needed to find the clearest view of the satellites you want to use.

6 Locate your dish for the best view.

Dutch

Archived