Smart tires

SuiteSuccess

Was just visiting with my long time tire guy.  I know several of you have same size tires all around.  My rears are 175/55/R15.  Fronts 155/60/R15.  Anyway he has 28 Toyo in the rear size he will sell for $59/tire.  Seems like it would be in my best interest just to go ahead and get 4 of the same size and just buy two new wheels for the front.  Thoughts?  BTW anyone coming to ECR, I can get you the same deal if you need some 175’s.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Hey Suite;

We just put the new tires on the old rims - so all tires are same size as the rears 175/55/R15 and they will fit the original front rims. They look a bit funny at first, but they work fine. We kept one rear tire as a spare (no rim)  because finding a 155/60/R15  tire out on the road can be a major pain. Looks a little rednecky, but at least you don't get stranded.

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

48 minutes ago, adept99 said:

Hey Suite;

We just put the new tires on the old rims - so all tires are same size as the rears 175/55/R15 and they will fit the original front rims. They look a bit funny at first, but they work fine. We kept one rear tire as a spare (no rim)  because finding a 155/60/R15  tire out on the road can be a major pain. Looks a little rednecky, but at least you don't get stranded.

Thanks Paul didn’t know the 175’s would fit.  Correct me if I’m wrong but thought front rim was 15 x 4.5 and rear 15 x 5.5.  So the inch narrower on the front rim is not a problem?  Just trying to learn.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

33 minutes ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

What model number tire?  We need to put new on ours as well.

Didn’t ask Jim but I can find out if you’re interested?

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Big 5'r put me on to the "use the same rims" trick. The folks at the tire store here thought it looked a little funny because the sidewalls pooch out a little bit, but they fit and work just fine. Don't seem to hydroplane any worse than the originals.

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

17 hours ago, adept99 said:

Hey Suite;

You know Paul, it wouldn't look so "rednecky" if you hide the tire on the truck instead of strapping it to the top of the smart car with rope. The other advantage to putting it on the truck is that you could roll the windows up all the way on the car once you get the rope unwound thru the passenger compartment.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Now you pipe up. I've already got the High Zoot grill mount mostly fabricated. 12" Ductile Iron pipe top & bottom, 1" plate stretchers, winch (Wench??) mount, and, just to keep that homey look, patio cushions for that no mar effect on the hood paint.

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

We put 185/55R15 Hankooks on our '05 Passion and they transformed both the ride and the handling compared to the hard as rock Eco Contis it came with. Kept stock asymmetrical rims and it worked just fine.

When We need new tires for the 2013 I will probably do the same.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Per the "ultimate wheel and tire plus sizing guide" that stays on my desk as the "bible" in the wheel business:

The 175/55/15 size is recommended for 5.0" to 6.0" wheels.  Out in the real world any tire will certainly squeeze onto a 1/2" narrower wheel, only possible adverse affect is the tire may crown slightly on the narrower wheel and may show minor premature wear in the center of the tread.  And I do mean minor, most would never notice the difference in tire mileage with the limited miles most of you are putting on. 

Should be no clearance issues with the 175/55/15 on the front as that was an oem front size on some models (with a 195/50/15 rear)

Thanks Hot Rod - had wondered about that

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

I put aftermarket 6" wide wheels all the way around mine with 195/50/15's.  They ride and handle better, are easy to find at any tire shop, do not effect the speedometer and allow me to rotate the tires.

Oh yeah, I kept one of the skinny front tires as a spare.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Archived