Fuel issues

Pete Kildow

Truck has this happen a while back. Did not think that much of it. Fuel filter will be sucked dry. Only happened when parked where it leans to the right side. 😱 Yesterday it did it again. Grabbed the fuel can, filled the Filter back up. Got it primed, and then it died again. Filled it this time, but seen bubbles coming up and fuel running back to the tanks.

So tomorrow will pull the fuel line off the Davco housing. Check valve is not shutting off fuel. And hope that is the only issue. But may turn out to be the fuel pump also. Will post findings when I get done. With my luck the last few month's no telling what I will find.

event.png

Here is my recent experience. Had very similar issue. Volvo vnl 610, d12. Started loosing fuel level in the Davao filter. Finally gave up the ghost after about 5000 miles while out on winter travels. Also, running rough. Traced to cylinder 6, by the use of a heat gun. Temp significantly lower than the rest. Would not re prime. Ended up being injector sleeves. Also had the injector wiring harness replaced. I have heard that there is a check ball valve in the Davco which can be problematic. Good luck with the problem.

Had the same symtoms on my Mack.  After much wailing and gnashing of teeth, it was the o-ring on the filler cap of the Davco.  Too simple.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I thought of the o-ring first thing. But with the fuel returning back to the tank. That tells me the check valve is sticking. Got a new kit coming for it. Should be in town by 2pm. Buddy of mine ordered it with his parts this am. Will replace that first. Then go from there if its an issue after that. He had a lot of the o-rings. And I will pick up both of those also.

It only does this after parking where the truck is lower on the pass side. That is what is odd about the whole issue. But been told, the ball in the check valve just happens to be bad on that side.

event.png

Yep, I replaced the check valve first, but it was the o-ring that finally cured it.  I was carrying a siphon hose and gallon jug in the cab for a while.  What a pain..........

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

Just my two cents, but since I started putting a can of Sea Foam split between two tanks, all those fuel issues went away. Yeah, I ruined a couple of filters when I first did that, but no issues since. Cheap fix.

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

34 minutes ago, adept99 said:

Just my two cents, but since I started putting a can of Sea Foam split between two tanks, all those fuel issues went away. Yeah, I ruined a couple of filters when I first did that, but no issues since. Cheap fix.

Another snake oil, that works.  I've had very good luck with Sea-Foam over the years.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Howdy!

I cant talk higher or better of the "Davco" and there filter system! I two have had my issues with the filter system but overall it's the best, IMHO! 

Bubbles means  air getting in. The replacement check valve spring and ball are $10. I would suggest while you have it apart use a Scotsh brite pad to clean the ball socket before reassembly. All the new filters I have bought over the last 12 years come with new "O" rings, Use Them. If your still having problems  call Davco They will go out of there way to help you, ask for tech assistance. I have had 3 occasions when they stuck with me to solve my problem and for no more than the cost of the call.

HAPPY TRAILS                                                                                                                                                   HOPE TO SEE YOU  IN TN.                                                                                                                                 roadfitter  SKP# 96308

roadfitter

2000 T-2000 10 speed autoshift DD430/500 H.P.

2001 Alfa 39' Toyhouse

http://community.webshots.com/user/roadfitter597

Holiday lite trucks.

Replaced valve and issue went away. Bubbles were from fuel going back into the tank. After the new valve no more issues so far. But with my luck the last month. It may grow wings and fly away.

Been looking for a Bronco the last 10 years. Found one I liked 2 week ago. Got it home, and the fun started. Finding lots to fix 🤬 but it had been sitting 10 years. New gas tank coming in tomorrow. Filled it up with gas, and it ran out on the ground. Or the first 15 gallons did.

aGJjawIl.jpg "border=0
m3zZPvb.pngClick For Full-Size Image.

80,000 miles on the clock. Seats and carpet in great shape. 1989 Eddie Bauer Edition.

XeOemnwl.jpg "border=0
m3zZPvb.pngClick For Full-Size Image.

As you can see still has the best Stereo around in 1989. Yes Cassette, glad I still have all of mine from the day. Even have a bunch of my 8 tracks.  Still has all the window decals from the  factory. So far nothing had been taken off it.

Still have the 5 factory wheels. There going back on before winter time.

event.png

Sweet find!  I've been looking for one for a long time, all I find are rust buckets... LOL, I have too many projects now for that.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

5 hours ago, NDBirdman said:

Sweet find!  I've been looking for one for a long time, all I find are rust buckets... LOL, I have too many projects now for that.

I almost sold this one 9 days after getting it. Guy wanted to buy it, I tossed out a price. He offered me $2,000.00 less then I was asking. And I would not drop the price. I scared I had messed up when I priced it.

There getting harder to find each day. Like you I found a lot of them. Most were falling apart with rust.

event.png

A couple years ago I had fuel problem as well.  Turned out it was a bad check valve.....clogged with slim/algae or some other mystery tar ball.  It was suggested that I use Bio Bore as a treatment for algae since the truck sits much more that driven.  More snake oil perhaps but the Navy likes the stuff so I now use it.  Seems to work.

I am using a Bio-cide as well, on a monthly basis, I also am keeping the tanks full when it will sit as this suppossedly help keep the condensation out of the tanks.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

On 4/9/2019 at 8:09 PM, Flying Finn said:

A couple years ago I had fuel problem as well.  Turned out it was a bad check valve.....clogged with slim/algae or some other mystery tar ball.  It was suggested that I use Bio Bore as a treatment for algae since the truck sits much more that driven.  More snake oil perhaps but the Navy likes the stuff so I now use it.  Seems to work.

Mine was clean, and the bottom of the tanks are clean. I did put Bio Bore in it last year. As it had 375 gallons of fuel in it. Holds around 470 gallons 4 tanks in mine. And would rather stay ahead of Algae then fight it after it starts.

We also still have 2 500 gallon farm tanks. Never figured out why they never had issues? Even when mine sat for a year half full. But never any issues with it.

event.png

One of my past lives I was tasked with rescuing SEPTA locomotives from serious clogged fuel filters. They could not keep them running for more than two days. We cleaned the tanks and started a fuel treatment program. It got me out of the office once a week. Detective work found that the fuel supplier was not putting the contract required treatment in the delivered oil. Perhaps your dealer keep your farm tanks protected?

54 minutes ago, Sehc said:

Perhaps your dealer keep your farm tanks protected?

My supplier did just that.  When the snake oil salesmen woukd stop by, wanting to sell me fuel additives, I'd tell them my fuel was like Prego, "It's in there."

In 45 years of having too many diesels sitting around, (6 at the moment), often for months with a partial tank, I've only had two instances of algae.  It's a nuisance, but so is treating fuel often.  Pick your poison.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

On 4/15/2019 at 3:58 PM, Sehc said:

One of my past lives I was tasked with rescuing SEPTA locomotives from serious clogged fuel filters. They could not keep them running for more than two days. We cleaned the tanks and started a fuel treatment program. It got me out of the office once a week. Detective work found that the fuel supplier was not putting the contract required treatment in the delivered oil. Perhaps your dealer keep your farm tanks protected?

I think your 99.999 right, we used to buy from a different dealer. And had issues, but the one we have used the last 20+ years. Not an issue, and everyone else is the same. While buddy of mine  had his 5000 gallon tank filled last fall. At a great price, has changed more filters over the winter. Then all the rest of us.😱

event.png

Archived