Co-op questions

kb0zke

We're on the waiting lists at The Ranch and Lone Star Corral. At this point we don't plan to actually use our lot for more than a few months during the winter. Even then, we'll probably be in and out during that time. At some point, though, we may find ourselves staying there for longer periods of time.

Question: At what point will each State say that we are residents of that State and want us to register the vehicles and get new drivers licenses? I spent some time trying to find what New Mexico's rules are, since that's where we are right now, with no success. I see vehicles with plates from all over here, but I don't know which are leaseholders and which are visitors.

It would seem to me that the co-op parks would be targets for those who want to make sure that the State is getting every penny they can. Do the co-ops have to keep a record of who the leaseholders are and share that with the authorities whenever they ask? It would seem that it would be easy for NM, for example, to figure out which leaseholders are here more than X days and then tell those people that they must become NM residents and pay NM taxes.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

5 minutes ago, kb0zke said:

It would seem to me that the co-op parks would be targets for those who want to make sure that the State is getting every penny they can.

I have never heard of any reports of this from any of the co-op parks and I think that it would come up on the forums if it were the case. I suggest that the best way to get that information would be to contact the department of motor vehicles office in each of the areas of interest and ask them. In most states, it is different if you are permanently employed(very short period) and much longer if not employed, usually 6 months or so. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

20 hours ago, kb0zke said:

I spent some time trying to find what New Mexico's rules are, since that's where we are right now, with no success.

New Mexico, like many states has multiple definitions for "resident" status depending on the specific state law and department involved. If you're applying for state benefits or in-state tuition then its 12 months. But if its the state personal income tax as a resident, then its when you physically spend 185 days or more within the state if your domicile was elsewhere, or immediately when you moved into the state with the intention of making it your home.  Its not unusual for there to be some variation in when you become a resident, most states allow for several different circumstances. 1) you moved here with the clear intention of staying and working fulltime in the state, so you become a resident immediately  2) you have a permanent home elsewhere and only moved here temporarily, so you will be considered a non-resident for tax purposes, until your stay exceeds 185 days.  3) you have no permanent home, but have an established domicile elsewhere and moved here temporarily, but have now stayed 185 days or more.  

Fulltime RV'ers usually fall into gray areas that the laws don't always exactly fit, but the generally accepted rule is, don't spend more than 6 months within any one state if you want to avoid residency & tax disputes.

Some states are very aggressive in forcing compliance and would use the tactics you describe. However, NM and TX are not one of those and are somewhat flexible. Sometimes it also depends on your visibility & exposure to law enforcement. If you're out in the boonies and don't come in contact with the authorities, you can get away with more. If you park in the middle of town, raise hell, drive drunk, participate in public protests, etc,  then you're more likely to be held to the letter of the law.

As for the NM MVD policy on when your vehicles need to be registered, thats spelled out clearly, within 60 days of becoming a resident of the state.  (when do you become a resident -- see above)

https://www.mvdexpress.com/new-resident-registration/

Jim

Archived