GOODBY direct tv satellites....

Last year in a discussion about the future of streaming video, I suggested that small satellite dishes days were numbered. This article was in this weeks “Broadcasting Cable” magazine

https://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/at-t-gets-serious-about-sunsetting-satellites

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With all due respect, it's my understanding that DirecTV already has enough satellites in orbit to last for the next decade or so.  The concept outlined in the article requires that a customer have cable, FIOS, etc.   It doesn't apply to rural homes that have neither and DirecTV has millions of those as customers.    I'm not going to worry about the loss of satellite signal anytime soon.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

We've not been very happy with Direct TV since they dropped one of our local channels, the one we watch most.  Even less happy with them since the AT&T take-over.  We're very rural here, if we loose their service, good riddance, they won't be missed!  I doubt they want to loose that many customers though, I just don't see it happening. 

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

This is all pie in the sky. Until everyone is on 5G or beyond and until everyone is covered by the internet this isn't going to happen. Maybe in cities but Verizon stopped rolling out their FIOS to many people disappointment. I would guess this is many decades away.

5 hours ago, hemsteadc said:

If they *want* to get out of the satellite business they can, I'm sure DISH will be happy.

Dish seems to be headed in the same direction. They're losing 200,000 Sat customers a year and already announced plans to spend a $1 billion a year converting to a 5G wireless TV system.

Jim

My son used to work for Cox and now works for Comcast. He said that in 5 to 10 years Cable and Satilite television Service will no longer exist. All service will be streamed via the Internet. Not just AT&T but Dish and all cable companies too,  it’s the future. He said that we may be able to have satilite Internet by then but is not sure what will happen to RV Service because we move around all the time and there are not enough RV customers for the industry to care about us. My brother lives in a remote area of ID and has Hugh’s Net internet and no cable. His sat dish on the roof is very small and must be spot on to receive a signal. The trees bloomed and the leaves blocked the signal and the tech had to come back out and re-set the dish on the roof. It’s that sensitive. We in RVs move a lot. Hope they figure it out before they turn off all our roof dishes. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

I think it is a generational thing.  We sold our Florida home to a young couple last year and they were not having DirecTV or Dish put in.  They get everything via the internet.  Two of our five kids households are the same way.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

1 minute ago, FL-JOE said:

I think it is a generational thing.  We sold our Florida home to a young couple last year and they were not having DirecTV or Dish put in.  They get everything via the internet.  Two of our five kids households are the same way.

I was going to do the same but with my new iphone, I can't cast to my TVs.  I tried the Chromecast Ultra and all the apps available in the app store.  It just won't connect, not even with my new/smaller camper TV.  One of the Geek squad guys spent a couple hours trying to get it to work, he walked away scratching his head.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

I almost hate to admit this, but whenever I have a I-phone question or a streaming question, or anything of that nature I contact one of the grandkids for advise.  We have 14 and any of the ones between 12 and 20 can usually answer my questions immediately.   

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

3 hours ago, NDBirdman said:

I was going to do the same but with my new iphone, I can't cast to my TVs.  I tried the Chromecast Ultra and all the apps available in the app store.  It just won't connect, not even with my new/smaller camper TV.  One of the Geek squad guys spent a couple hours trying to get it to work, he walked away scratching his head.

With an iPhone I think the easiest approach is to use AirPlay to cast to an Apple TV (and, no, an Apple TV isn't another TV, it's a device like a Chromecast).

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

9 hours ago, NDBirdman said:

Howdy!

I agree with docj. We used Chromecast when we had Android phones a tablets. We switched to Apple because they are the only ones that will connect to my hearing aids and now have what I call a Apple orchard iPhones, iPads and Mac laptop. I learner very quick the best way is to use Apple TV for apps like DirecTV Now and Amazon Prime, I can still connect to Netflix’s using Chromecast. Another easy way is to use a cable to connect the iPhone to a hdmi adapter and cable. Which also cut out having to connect via WiFi.

https://www.amazon.com/Lighting-ebasy-Converter-Projector-Compatible/dp/B07NW5GR9F/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1K49C9VL8Q8X6&keywords=iphone+hdmi+adapter+to+tv&qid=1553295966&s=gateway&sprefix=iPhone+hd%2Caps%2C238&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

”Happy Trails”

Chiefneon

Edited by chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

Thanks!  I think tomorrow I am stopping by best-buy and picking up an apple tv unit.  We have netflix, amazon prime video and a couple other free tv stations.  We due at the moment have a DirectTv app on our phones but as soon as I get everything working and our stations dialed in, it's gonna be bye-bye AT&T.

Again, thanks ya'll, your the best!

With Musk’s low orbit satellites, AT&T mini cells going on thousands of telephone poles and TMobiles 600mz channels and the deployment of 5g......get ready. Sat dishes and cable is over way sooner than you think. This is great for the RV community as the goal is to have full, high def streaming “on the go”.....this means everywhere. I just returned from a cross country, 9400 mile trip and I had streaming video everywhere. Including many places that I did not have service last year. Up in the NM mountains, in the valleys and in the desert. Great service with either AT&T , TMobile and Verizon.

its not about the number of satellites in orbit or how long they will last. It is about what millenials are willing to pay and they will not pay $300 a month for tv entertainment. At around $50 a month the funds are simply not there to support the infrastructure. Streaming is long term much less expensive for the providers.

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

It's not generational. I'm late 60s and am now using cable internet only and we're streaming Sling TV for all our old cable channels and CNN for 24/7 news. We don't care about or watch any sports except some Olympics, and we can watch the the Winter Olympics OTA. We stream Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime too. We put a Channelmaster HD OTA antenna on the roof here in our Louisiana house because we're semi rural on the fringe but with the rooftop get max signal with our 1in 4 out distribution Amp.

We'reMoving to Colorado Springs in a few weeks, we already bought the house, and it is in town so we can use cheap indoor amped antennas for each TV - no wires on the walls or under them. We have five TVs with Fire TV streaming devices on each that handle all the streamed content wirelessly. We already set up for CenturyLink fiber to the home with 140Mbps down and 60Mbps uploads for $65 a month for life with no price increases or data limits for life. We are using a Linksys AC5200 two piece mesh network so no cables needed. No satellite, no high cost Internet like here with the damn cable company overcharging $95 a month for Internet only, no TV, @ 200Mbps with a 1TB data limit and price raises yearly. Suddenlink cable works cost is out of control. Versus faster service with $65 for life. We had Prime for shopping and free shipping along with the Kindle free content before we streamed everything so we don't count it as a streaming cost. Those are Hulu for 11.99, Netflix for $13.99, Slung TV Blue $25, and HBO for $14.99 with HBO Now. That's $66.00a month for much more than just cable or Satellite channels. Mobile will have it from Sats or 5G service via phone companies in the next five years give or take.

And we have unlimited data on our phones to boot for $100.00 for both of our phones. No hot spots needed since we came off the road full time to take care our aging parents is needed.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

My neighbor was recently given an early out from AT&T/Direct because they are already seeing a massive shift away from TV over old-style delivery systems.  While it may not be directly generational, that's definitely a component.  He said he was basically only installing services for retired people most of the time.  If you take a room full of 60-somethings or even 50-somethings, a couple will be doing streaming.  If you take a room full of 20-somethings, a couple will be using the old tech and the rest will look at them like they are insane.  I'm 54, we switched to streaming only over ten years ago.  But then, we're a tech household; two network/VoIP engineers working from home.  We've helped a few neighbors convert, and they simply wouldn't have without us.  They are all in the late 40s to 50s range.

Standard TV systems are dying with the generation that still uses them.

All things come to an end eventually.  Suits and ties, dresses and hose, handwriting, language skills, and good manners are all dying with the generation that still uses them.  Most new generations abandon some of the practices of the older.  Thank God and Henry Ford we don't have to shovel manure off the streets anymore.

However, it's a long ways to go before everyone has access to broadband internet capable of relying on for streaming television.  I know, Elon Musk, 5G cellular, da da da da da.  I am no soothsayer, but I'm predicting that satellite TV will be around for the rest of my lifetime.

That being said, for the time being I'm happy with the structured format of satellite TV.  I like having a guide I can use to find what I want to watch.  I've dabbled in the streaming world a bit and know people who do it exclusively.  I spent more time just finding what to watch than actually watching it.  I seldom watch anything live, usually record it and watch it delayed so I can skip through commercials and commentary.  That especially applies to live sports.  I can't stand all the talking heads in between plays.

Most of the people I know who do only streaming, pay more for the combined internet and TV than I do.  I pay $23 per month for internet and $73 for TV.  For that, I have more than enough choices for the two or three hours per day that I actually watch the boob tube.

But that's just me, an old man who doesn't always believe that newer is better.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

We spend around $45 for the combined streaming service costs.  Not a huge difference from your cost.  But lots of my friends and neighbors were spending well over $100 and even $200 for it.  There are so many options out there that it's hard to compare.  Just yesterday I got an offer from our cable company to add TV for only $10/mo over the cost of internet.  I really thought about it, then realized that we probably wouldn't use it anyway.

I think the structured format is exactly what will kill regular TV.  There's just no reason to search for things based on a "channel" or a time, it should be based on specific shows, genres, and the like, no matter where it comes from.  That takes adjustment, but in the end, that seems to be where younger people are going.  My mind has never worked that way which is why I was happy to switch to online only as soon as it was practical.

The millenials I know are more courteous and respectful than the previous generation, so there is hope.

If you're not happy with jumping from app to app for the streaming channel you want, take a look at the Fitzy TV app. It consolidates a number of different streaming services into a single guide. The app and guide service are free, and there's an optional $5/mo DVR service available. Fitzy doesn't include all channels yet, but I think the current count is 100+ with more being added.

https://www.fitzytv.com/index.html

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2019 at 12:21 PM, chirakawa said:

All things come to an end eventually.  Suits and ties, dresses and hose, handwriting, language skills, and good manners are all dying with the generation that still uses them.  Most new generations abandon some of the practices of the older.  Thank God and Henry Ford we don't have to shovel manure off the streets anymore.

However, it's a long ways to go before everyone has access to broadband internet capable of relying on for streaming television.  I know, Elon Musk, 5G cellular, da da da da da.  I am no soothsayer, but I'm predicting that satellite TV will be around for the rest of my lifetime.

That being said, for the time being I'm happy with the structured format of satellite TV.  I like having a guide I can use to find what I want to watch.  I've dabbled in the streaming world a bit and know people who do it exclusively.  I spent more time just finding what to watch than actually watching it.  I seldom watch anything live, usually record it and watch it delayed so I can skip through commercials and commentary.  That especially applies to live sports.  I can't stand all the talking heads in between plays.

Most of the people I know who do only streaming, pay more for the combined internet and TV than I do.  I pay $23 per month for internet and $73 for TV.  For that, I have more than enough choices for the two or three hours per day that I actually watch the boob tube. 

But that's just me, an old man who doesn't always believe that newer is better.

I`m with you OLD MAN, I`m 79 close to 80 and going back full time with a pull trailer and 1/2  Ton Truck. I`m totally confused on what to do with all these new fantangled stuff. I`ve got Internet through Verizon OK but TV I`m Lost.

Home is where I park it.