Best Time RV

KayoCan

I should probably give you an update on the Best Time RV company since this topic was initially about them :)  I originally contacted them via email on March 17. Since then, I've been able to exchange only 1 email a day with them because their online reservation center is in Germany and I'm in the Central Time zone. If I was in the U.S. and was able to call the local rental office directly, things might have been very different. But as of now, I have not been able to reserve an RV with them. It is not all their fault, however, because there is an online reservation form I can use to make a reservation right away. It is taking time because I was requesting a specific model to rent (Roadtrek) and it is making things more complicated because they usually don't guaranty a model. 

In fact, everything is a little more complicated because I'm out of the country. I am still trying figure out which city I need to fly into at the end of this month. There aren't many used Lexors for sale within my price range right now so I will have to fly into a different city after I rent an RV. I know it's a wrong approach, but I am tempted to just buy an RV and deal with the regret later (if I have any) at this point. There are a couple of Lexors on the market I am very interested in right now. I only have access to the NADA online right now but I have been watching class Bs for sale online for a few weeks now. 

Edited by KayoCan

3 hours ago, KayoCan said:

I work online, and I will most likely be going to coffee shops, especially if I don't want to stay inside the camper all day.

If you don't particularly want to spend time in big cities I would look for McDonalds restaurants in smaller towns. They have free wifi for their customers. Some have better placed outlets than others. My favorite was the one in Parker, AZ, because it had outlets at three tables next to the restrooms. I didn't like the one in Quartzsite because it only has one outlet by a couch and the homeless were using it to charge their stuff every time I went there. In Parker, I would go and buy a drink then work for awhile. If I needed more time, I would buy more food. 

Perkins Restaurants also have free wifi but I didn't feel comfortable staying there as long as I did at McDonalds. But you do get to start working while waiting for them to take your oder, then bring you the food, then bring you the check--about an hour usually. You can find Perkins when traveling freeways by looking for their giant US flags near freeway ramps.

Some laundromats also have free wifi so you can work while washing clothes.

If you decide this lifestyle is for you, you might want to invest in a phone plan where you can use it as a hotspot. Both Verizon and AT&T cover most of the country now.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Now that I know you have been backpacking and staying in hostels I am more confident a Class B would work for you. Thus, I understand the temptation to jump right in and buy one of those units at a price you like. I suspect you won't have regrets if you decide to do that.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

9 hours ago, KayoCan said:

I didn't think about McDonalds or Perkins.

Walmart & Lowe's stores both have wifi available in all locations. Most Burger King restaurants also have it as do the majority of fast food locations. B Dalton books also have it and many shopping malls do as well. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks all for the great suggestions!

In the end, I did make a reservation with Best Time RV in Las Vegas. I'll be in the Las Vegas area for 2 weeks. Now I need a recommendation on which campsite I should go to experience my first night in an RV :) 

I will report back the renting experience with the company next week.

Edited by KayoCan

I can't recommend a campsite but I would move around to 3 or 4 to get the experience. Toward the end you might want to boondock for a night or 2 if you feel confident.  Also drive down the highway and maybe to Red Rock Canyon and/or Lake Mead to see how you feel about driving. Make sure you tke back roads, not just highways.

On 3/22/2019 at 1:30 PM, sandsys said:

Now I wish I'd simply installed a macerator instead so I would not have to pull the dump valve

Interesting comment,  just because you have a macerator doesn't mean you don't have to pull the gate valves on the tanks.  My RS has a macerator pump and I have to pull each of the valves. 

I guess there's so many options on various rigs.  My dump hose is permanently attached therefore I only need to extend the hose from the rig open the valves and push a button.   There's no gravity dump or need to hook up any hose at all.    It does make the whole thing a lot easier... only takes a few minutes to dump the tanks and no hose to roll up and store inside my rig....it's all neatly concealed in it's own channel compartment underneath the rig.

On 3/22/2019 at 4:49 PM, KayoCan said:

I'm interested in a class B because it looks almost like a normal car which I really like, AND it is small. I want to be able to drive it daily and also sleep in it. I want to be able to go to cities as well as national parks. I'm planning to use it full-time, at least for a while.  It'll be just me, no pets. I don't know how long I will be at each location... if I like a place, I may stay there for a while, if not, I'll keep moving

Regarding the other comments on "why are you considering a Class B"....the original poster wants a shorter RV.....as stated above......  It is certainly "more like a normal car".....   

A Class A or C is a huge vehicle compared to a Class B....  and a Class B+ is just a Class C without the bunk beds...it's registered as Class C. 

I personally wouldn't want to "live in my Class B"... I didn't purchase it for this purpose.....I purchased it for touring.  That's what these units are primarily designed for.... although... I suppose that one person could make it work... which is exactly what the OP said...  "use it full time for a while"....  It all depends on how you define for a while?   We've spent a few weeks at a time living in it.... BUT.... again...I love coming back home...

You are going to have a much more difficult time taking a large RV...32 feet or more to a National Park....

Finally,  I just returned from a trip and met someone who rents RVs....they have a try and buy program..   you might want to check it out...it's RV Rental by Advanced.

They have a program in Ohio and Southern California..I saw the rig... very impressive... call Jen at 949-495-1609 in SoCal.  Here is the website below; 

http://advanced-rv.rentals/

All I can say is that you have to sit down and do some "soul searching" on what you want to do....  Sure..you can rent them...but...it's very expensive.....

I did consider "renting one" to try it out.... I opted to test drive a lot of vehicles and find out which ones were better suited to me and my comfort level.... I figured if I wasn't completely comfortable driving it... I wouldn't take it places and this was an extremely high priority for me... not to mention the fuel efficency....more fuel less miles and fewer trips....all of this adds up to less enjoyment of the vehicle.  It doesn't do any good to have a vehicle you don't want to drive costing you a small fortune every time you drive it... what's the sense of that.? 

Good luck...it's a big decision...

Edited by Roadtrek 1

• 4 weeks later...

I am happy to report that I had wonderful experience with Best Time RV in Las Vegas. I rented a RoadTrek Zion from them for 2 weeks. 

Traveling in the camper van was exactly how I imagined it would be and the size was perfect for me. I knew I was ready to buy a camper van after the first night. And I am now a proud owner of a Pleasure Way Lexor!

Thanks everyone for great advices. I'm sure I'll be posting more questions!

9 hours ago, KayoCan said:

Traveling in the camper van was exactly how I imagined it would be and the size was perfect for me. I knew I was ready to buy a camper van after the first night. And I am now a proud owner of a Pleasure Way Lexor!

Wonderful!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI