buying an older RV

I am looking at an older RV it is a diesel pusher with 200,000 miles and it is a 1989 model.  My question, 1st should I even be looking at this unit being this old.  If I would continue looking at this unit what are the things that I need to be looking at it.  The only thing that I have been told is make sure there is no leaks in the roof.

Any help with this question would be grateful.

James Van Driessche

First of all, welcome to the Escapee forums! We are here to help so do share with us and we will do all that we are able. 

My first thought is that you need to go over it very closely and use an inspection guide sheet, such as this one from Changin Gears website. As previously stated, a great deal depends on what make and model the motorhome is. In older RVs, the condition is everything so while the RV is now 30 years old it could be quite usable but it could also be a money pit.  I would also suggest that you should have it inspected by a professional RV inspector or by a mobile RV tech & a diesel mechanic. RV appliances have a limited life just as appliances in a house do and so this one may have original appliances that are nearly worn out or not working at all. Those are very expensive to replace and especially so if you need to pay someone else to do the work. In order to give you anything more, I would need to know far more about the coach. What make, model, and as much other information as possible. How old are the tires, as RV tires usually age out well before they wear out and are quite expensive to replace? Does it have a tag axle? How is the condition of the carpet, upholstery, and interior fixtures? 

My initial reaction is to suggest looking at something else but the RV particulars, the price, and general condition could well change that opinion.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Welcome to the forum!  I think they nailed your question.  I say the engine if maintained is not the problem (maintenance records?).  What would scare me is that many miles on the chasis/suspension.  I say chances are it's going to need a lot, tires, bearings, ball joints, etc.  A good professional inspector would be money extremely well spent if your serious about this rig!

Edited by NDBirdman

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

15 hours ago, FL-JOE said:

It would be hard for me to toss out an opinion just based on those facts.  What is the make/model/size?  If it was a Prevost it might be one thing.

A Prevost like this: https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/rvs/d/1992-prevost-xl/6818080649.html

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I just threw out Prevost because a buddy has one and is camped across from us for the winter down here.  It is a 2000 I believe and has two slides on the DS but none on the PS.  For being 19 years old it is a great looking rig inside and out.

To the OP, still wouldn't know what to tell you unless you provide more information.  Depending on the make/model you may either want to run from it or possibly take a look even if there are no tires on it currently.

Edited by FL-JOE

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

We have never purchased a used RV. We might purchase one 2 or three years old, maybe but I doubt it.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

We've been full-timing in a 1993 Foretravel for five years now. Yes, we've had some problems, but nothing that we couldn't handle. Condition and history are everything. If you haven't already done so, find the owners forum for that brand and ask about known issues for that model. There may be people there that can do an initial inspection for you. If not, find someone to do one for you. Spending a couple hundred dollars for an inspection can save you thousands in repairs.

Initial quality may be a factor. The more expensive the coach was when new, the more likely it will have been well cared for. Yes, there are exceptions, but those are rare. Find a similar model at PPL to get an idea of the low end of the price range.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Again, please tell us the make and model, and which engine.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

9 hours ago, richfaa said:

We have never purchased a used RV. We might purchase one 2 or three years old, maybe but I doubt it.

Different if you want a DP, then buying used makes sense.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

The D P has nothing to do with it. We did consider a MH but it was ruled out.The same rule would apply 2 or 3 years old used maybe if we could find a good one.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

• 2 months later...

Good advice here. I would only add that it would be a good idea to have a fluid analysis done on the engine and radiator, the generator and its radiator and the transmission on older RVs. The biggest possible repair expenses would most likely be in one of those areas, so it would be smart to get as much information about the current state of those mechanical components as you can.

Fluid analysis won't tell you everything but the information it provides is well worth the relatively small investment.

Duane & Cheri

NRVIA Certified RV Inspector

https://www.rvinspectionandcare.com

6 hours ago, RV inspector said:

Fluid analysis won't tell you everything but the information it provides is well worth the relatively small investment.

While I agree with that idea, if the fluids were just changed since the last siginificant trip, the information won't tell you much. In this case, well used give much more information. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

20 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

While I agree with that idea, if the fluids were just changed since the last siginificant trip, the information won't tell you much. In this case, well used give much more information. 

True, but even if the engine has been run for just a few hours it can begin to tell you something.

This is because when engine parts are beginning to fail they often produce a chemical or metal  residue that can be found in the engine oil. The analysis company will give you a complete breakdown of the chemical makeup of the oil and they are very good at spotting tell-tale signs of engine failure.

interestingly, the fluid analysis companies have found that there is more often severe problems with coolant than with the oil in most engines and generators. This is because a lot of people will change their oil and not think of flushing their radiator at the proper interval or changing the generator coolant when they should.

It is true that fluid analysis is most effective when you have a history of oil changes to compare. But even if there is no history it can help reveal whether there are major problems that seem to be developing. Once again, it is worth the small cost to have it done when you are buying something that could be very expensive to repair.

Duane & Cheri

NRVIA Certified RV Inspector

https://www.rvinspectionandcare.com