Maps

SWharton

We like paper maps for our in-depth touring. In the past, we have bought the Benchmark Atlas for various states. We are getting ready for an in-depth visit to Idaho prior to going to Alaska. We don't have any really good maps of Idaho. Many years ago the Benchmark Atlas was to go-to map for the western states. Has anyone surpassed their quality? I don't think we have bought a map in 10 years or more. Now that we have more time we are very interested in getting better maps for our in-depth look.

Thanks

Benchmark has one for Idaho. That's the one I'd recommend. We had them all and each time we entered a new state that was the first thing we pulled out.  They give so much information and show good backroads to travel and are very easy to read.  We started out with Delorme and soon found Benchmark surpassed it.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

We usually pic up, sometimes free, sometimes a couple bucks, each individual state map.  Usually each place that carries those also has local/state tourist info/maps.  We find lots of info, things to do more from that than any electronic or *big book* map.  I'm sure you have seen what I'm talking about, the usual visitor centers maps.  We use a Benchmark to get us to the area then use the tourist maps from there.

Edited by NDBirdman

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

While I always carry paper maps, one of the places a GPS is hard to beat is for county roads.  Most of the free or AAA maps & atlases don't have the detail that a GPS provides.  Trying to carry county level maps for the entire country is difficult, at least on paper; not difficult on a GPS. Both have their advantages...

Edited by vermilye

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

Here's a sample of Benchmark's Idaho.  A GPS doesn't show all that this does.  It's an excellent resources if you're into exploring and using backroads. A Gazeteer map like this gives you a big picture of the area without loosing detail like a GPS does when you zoom out.  If you're just going from A to B in travels then a GPS is good.  Or... if you pick a gravel side road from the marked ones on Benchmark then use the GPS as you're traveling that road.  That's our feeling, anyway, and we travel the backroads at every stop.

https://www.benchmarkmaps.com/products-page/atlases/idahoroad-recreation-atlas

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Hi Swharton - Benchmark maps can be purchased and loaded through the Avenza Maps app as well. Has the details of the atlas version and you can toggle back and forth between Benchmark and Google maps to look at terrain or satellite or plot distances etc. Benchmark shows your location by GPS so you can see if you are on BLM or whatever...

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

We have all the tools  available .GPS is primary. Google maps on the smart phone, paper maps, Google Earth.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

We have about 20 of the Benchmark maps books as we used to get them for every state that we spent time in. Frankly we are using them less and less as our GPS seems to have just as many roads and we allows us explore backroads just fine. We use the Benchmark maps for "big picture" considerations, often the evening before, but between our GPS and Google Maps we seldom use the Benchmark books while underway. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

We travel the back roads, dirt and sometimes mild 4x4 roads.  I like and buy Benchmark atlases.  However nothing beats looking at the satellite view of the roads with Google Earth, or the satellite views on Google Maps and/or Bing Maps.  I usually start with Benchmark and/or NF maps and then go to the online views.   Sometimes I am amazed to find ground level 360 degree photos of the dirt/gravel roads.  I know of no way to know if there is a 360* view unless I click on the icon to see if there is a photo.  

We also, at times, take our RV back to boondock spots on the dirt roads, but not before we drive the toad to check out the access. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 9:08 PM, SWharton said:

I believe there is a time and a place for all our "mapping" items. If we have internet then Google comes in handy. Many tims we don't then the Benchmark maps are useful. GPS is used to get us back where we came from if we are all turned around.

Always remembered this guy who now is passed. Always take time to look back where you came from. Things may look different going that way and you may think your going the wrong way. I enjoy looking at maps and even if someone is flying me to a remote location have an idea where its at. Like Captain Sully said. you gotta know where your going. I don't own a GPS but use google maps a satellite views. I did find there road marking of I69 south of Indiannapolis wrong the other day.

We travel the US, State, County, and other backroads whenever possible.  More to see and get a real look at the USA.  We use the Delorme Atlas & Gazetteer.  They do have one for Idaho.  One word of caution, buy directly from Delorme.  Amazon and other places have them but not always the most updated version.  We looked at one for Colorado and they had a 2012 version when we ordered from Delorme we had a 2015 copy.  Same with Arkansas.  We had a 2004 version and wanted something newer but Amazon only had a 2012 and Delorme had 2018.  

I find Delorme Atlas & Gazetteer really lacking in the back country gravel, dirt, and sometimes narrow paved roads.  Delorme shows the same width and boldness to fairly decent gravel roads as they do to some pretty rough dirt roads

Benchmark maps has very easy to see distinctions between paved, good gravel, good dirt and roads which are 4x4.  

I haven't purchased at Delorme Atlas & Gazetteer in about 15 years because of this issue.  

I do use both Delorme Street & Trips and Delorme Topo quite a bit.  Both do a good job of distinguishing between the various types of roads.  Unfortunately both computer based programs were discontinued several years ago. 

Edited by Al F

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/