Roof insulation in fiver

ARGO

Looks like I may have to replace several headliner panels due to a leak. Current setup is vinyl over 1/4 foam, over wood and 3/4" Styrofoam on top for insulation (?).

Well, there's gotta' be better, has anyone done anything different? With the headliner down, now's the time.

Search on here came up 0

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

Best insulation (but not the easiest to install) in a RV roof is XPS (extruded polystyrene). It should be fit as tight (cut the pcs 1/32" oversize) as possible and then caulk any gaps so there is no air flow around it.

If you want more insulation adding another layer of 1/4" or 1/2" foam will reduce the thermal bridging.

2011 Cameo 34SB3

On 3/22/2019 at 4:21 AM, ARGO said:

Tks! I'd love to get it sprayed, but I think the cost/benefit would kill it. I put a 1/2" layer of pink styro in a boat overhead & that helped the A/C a lot.

Just to be clear XPS isn't Urethane Spray Foam. 

You don't want to use spray foam in an RV unless there is a properly installed / 100% sealed vapor barrier.  I've seen mold around the staple holes in a vapor barrier. 

Even the best foam spayed under ideal conditions is 5% open cell which means the foam will absorb 5% moisture/condensation. 

Also avoid ISO Board. ISO Board works great to insulate against heat (sun) but not cold.  It contains a gas that when cold turn to liquid thus reducing the R rating.

2011 Cameo 34SB3

• 3 weeks later...

OK, looks like the dreaded "headliner replacement" is on the horizon. Anybody done one? Vinyl, 1/4" foam, luan & Styrofoam. Factory sent me instructions on how to do it, & panels are relatively cheap. Can't find a shop competent to do that here closer than Elkhart

• 2 months later...

There are many RV repair/remodeling shops available. The most obvious action is run a search for those type shops within 100 miles of your location, no results-widen search.

ALLOY seems to have the best option for increasing insulation R-value.To fill voids I would use the best quality spray foam available.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Problem seems to be they all want to remove roof, drop in headliner and replace roof. Can't do mine that way, HAS TO BE done from inside & shops are scared.  Too much like work I guess. Want to stay east of Miss and south of Baltimore, Elkhart's too cold in winter.

On 6/17/2019 at 3:42 PM, ARGO said:

Problem seems to be they all want to remove roof, drop in headliner and replace roof. Can't do mine that way, HAS TO BE done from inside & shops are scared.  Too much like work I guess. Want to stay east of Miss and south of Baltimore, Elkhart's too cold in winter.

Nearly all RV's are built from the bottom up,and the roof is the last constructed. This means adding insulation from inside is much more difficult, requiring cutting around walls, cabinets, etc to remove the ceiling paneling. Removing the roof is IMO the most practical, I don't know why your roof is not removable, could you explain?

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961