Jump to content
Lance A Lott

knee replacement Update

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy k4rs,

Thanks for your post, other then when the va rebuilt my nose twice, I have never had any real operations, lots of local anistisha (sp) things but only really put under twice, its just something that gives me the willies.  I am kinda hyper vigilant, have an acute sense of whatever the surrounding situation is, so going under is not something I am comfortable with.

Dave

Make sure your docs, nurses, and anesthesiologist know this.  I always tell them not to be within arm or leg reach because I come out of anesthesia fighting.  When they did my lower back, I woke up restrained....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy k4rs,

Thanks for your post, other then when the va rebuilt my nose twice, I have never had any real operations, lots of local anistisha (sp) things but only really put under twice, its just something that gives me the willies.  I am kinda hyper vigilant, have an acute sense of whatever the surrounding situation is, so going under is not something I am comfortable with.

Dave

My surgeon put something in the knee, they used ultrasound to guide the needle.  There was something in the iv and I had a spinal. I think I remember them telling me to sit up for the spinal, if I do then that's the last I remember until my wife woke me up. I was breathing on my own for the operation. After they started the iv I didn't care what they did to me. Two hour latter I started this post, maybe I should go back and read it to see how out of it I was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/19/2019 at 7:46 PM, Lance A Lott said:

Just had my right knee replaced about 2 hours ago. Now I can work on the Volvo again! Well in a month or so. We will probably have snow atleast that long anyway. I have to figure out why the abs dose not work, the left front brake grabs and I need to install the premium shifter and lots of other stuff, the longer I lay here the longer the list will get. 

I also want to make a binder to show law enforcement. Maybe I will even have time to post build pictures from last July.

 

Well it's been 6 weeks and 6 days so thought I would update for any thinking of having this done. The knee has no pain and works just fine. I have had difficulty with the soft tissue behind the knee and down into the calf. This has put me 2 weeks or so behind where my father was with his replacements. After 34 years of being bent the tissue just domt wont to move but they are going if a little slow. 

This past week I went back to work driving school bus, got the Volvo out of storage, cut up some trees, rode a horse and trimmed a horses feet. I haven't used a cane or crutch for two weeks and have put that stuff in storage. My limp gets better every day and if I dont over do, like yesterday, I get out of bed with no limp. 

I can now see that I will be fine and am going to be very glad I had the operation. O ya I can now sleep through the night in bed.

I did almost none of the things I wanted to do, pt takes up a lot of time and reading was of little interest, I watched a lot of tv.

 I had to quote my self to bring this back up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Howdy All,

Quick update, I have an appointment on May 23rd to talk to the doctor I chose to do this work.  I’ll fill in details when I get them.

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, phoenix2013 said:

Dave, are you going for two or one? Are you talking to Conformis surgeon?

 

Howdy Henry,

Doctor Manner is a Conformis surgeon, I will be asking for the Conformis joint and will be asking if my body is in condition to have both done at the same time.  It all comes down to cost the va will go with the cheapest option but I am hoping that the surgeon will have some input and will intercede to have a quality joint installed. 

I know full well that having both knees done at the same time is going to be rough but if the doctor feels I am in good enough shape to deal with it I just want it done and over with rather then have to go through the recovery process and misery twice.

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dave,  I am only 55 and not in two bad of shape, maybe if the muscles on the back of the knee had been in better shape I would think differently, but I would only have done 2 if I was in Henrys  boat. Rehab is rough and I would have been in trouble without a good knee. My other knee is fine but the one I had replaced would have supported me fine if the other had needed replacement. In my case in order to sit down I had to put the new leg out in front and lower myself on the old leg as I continued to slide the new leg forward. I suppose if I had to I would have figured out a way.  I am what I consider 2 weeks behind in recovery but I could probably due a second knee soon, thank God I dont have too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lance A Lott said:

Dave,  I am only 55 and not in two bad of shape, maybe if the muscles on the back of the knee had been in better shape I would think differently, but I would only have done 2 if I was in Henrys  boat. Rehab is rough and I would have been in trouble without a good knee. My other knee is fine but the one I had replaced would have supported me fine if the other had needed replacement. In my case in order to sit down I had to put the new leg out in front and lower myself on the old leg as I continued to slide the new leg forward. I suppose if I had to I would have figured out a way.  I am what I consider 2 weeks behind in recovery but I could probably due a second knee soon, thank God I dont have too.

Howdy Lance,

Both of my knees are shot, they have been for years, every step I take they click, pain that will keep me from sleeping or wake me up while I am sleeping.  I know its going to be hell if both are done at the same time but I'll leave that decision up to the doctor, I am welder-machinist-fabricator, don't know anything about rebuilding human body parts.

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have known a couple of guys who did both and if your Dr is good with it you should be fine. I am glad that was not my case. I should have done more presurgary stretching but the knee was bent at least 10 degrees so it probably wouldn't have helped. Good luck, Lance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have good pain tolerance, one or two is not much difference. It's only one day of "rough" on each, it's the day after. Wife who is a nurse and spent lot's of time in OR (transplants, etc.) said it's common with all (more involved) surgeries, the day after sucks. By the third day everything settles and the pain killers "catch up" and life is good again. On my day after I told the surgeon I'm not doing the second one, on my third day I told him "bring it on". Tuesday was my first one, Friday was my second one and yes, Saturday was rough but Sunday was OK again.

I asked my surgeon how many "wimp out" to do the second one, I was surprised that he said only 5%, 95% go for the second one at the same time. They never do these on the same day though, they want the first one to stabilize and see how thing are working out, before they proceed with the second one.

I don't know how bad you are, I was totally gone and useless. So my thinking went as follows: "I can hardly move, even with walker, so I don't have anything that woks well. If I do one, I will not be able to do proper physical therapy since the second one will useless to help with the therapy". Frankly, I did not have an option to do just one.

There was one advantage to doing two, at least in Florida where I am and the insurance (Medicare) and the supplemental I have (Aetna, plan N). With single knee physical therapy is outpatient only, with two done together they put me into 10 days of in-patient physical therapy facility, with 4-5 hours per day of various therapies. The test on tenth day was, can I function by myself. Get up, get dressed, use all the bathroom "offerings", get meals, etc. The Medicare and the supplemental covered everything, surgery and PT.

This was after 10 days in that place. I did have additional 6 weeks of outpatient PT after that.

2ckMZwgl.jpg

Edited by phoenix2013

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am probably a poor example, all my issues have been with the soft tissue behind the knee down into the calf. The replacement didn't realy hurt just uncomfortable at times. Most of my trouble started in the second week when i started to walk heal to toe, before that I thought I was golden. My fsther hsd both done about a year apart,same Dr he said he would do them at the same time but felt it was unnecessary in his case. If both of my were bad i would be tempted to do both at once. I would however do more home prep before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy Lance,

Both of my knees are shot, they have been for years, every step I take they click, pain that will keep me from sleeping or wake me up while I am sleeping.  I know its going to be hell if both are done at the same time but I'll leave that decision up to the doctor, I am welder-machinist-fabricator, don't know anything about rebuilding human body parts.

Dave

Hi Dave,

   It may be real interesting to see what you could come up with in your shop. It would appear that our reckless youth does catch up after awhile. But the drag racing and motorcycles and the other silly stunts we pulled sure are fun to look back on aren't they. At home it was a bit of 'Hold my beer and watch this'

Brad

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brad & Jacolyn said:

Hi Dave,

   It may be real interesting to see what you could come up with in your shop. It would appear that our reckless youth does catch up after awhile. But the drag racing and motorcycles and the other silly stunts we pulled sure are fun to look back on aren't they. At home it was a bit of 'Hold my beer and watch this'

Brad

 

Howdy Brad,

There are times when I am in pain that I wish I had not been so hard on myself but then I think about how BORING life would have been had I just drank beer and watched foot ball on TV.  I just wasn't cut out to be a spectator but being a competitive participant does come at a cost.  As to what I could come up in the shop, well if I had anything to do with designing the human body one of the things I would have insisted upon would be grease jerks at every joint.

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mr. cob said:

well if I had anything to do with designing the human body one of the things I would have insisted upon would be grease jerks at every joint.

Bacon grease comes to mind......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They tried "greasing" my knee for a year I never saw  any difference. They also gave me a brace to unload the knee, I am sure glad they finaly stop all the nonsense and did something.  I suppose it was to show the insurance that I really needed replacement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's interesting. My doctor told me just to let him know when I wanted each knee replaced, my call. I told him one week that I was ready to go and had the knee replaced 2 weeks later. No hassle from anyone. Same thing with the second knee.

I had the same experience with cataract surgery, just let him know when and it is scheduled

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

Escapees Hangouts

RVers Online University

campgroundviews.com

Our program provides accurate individual wheel weights for your RV, toad, and tow vehicle, and will help you trim the pounds if you need to.

Rv Share

Dish For My RV.

Find out more or sign up for Escapees RV'ers Bootcamp.

Advertise your product or service here.

Shade My RV



×
×
  • Create New...