Michigan Registration, Plates, & Insurance

Pro 5 Racing

New to the forum, thank you for the add. I have a 2013 Freightliner, and Wildside Trailer that is used for hauling my racecar/equipment. Racing is our family hobby, and I do not use the trailer for any commercial business.

I am falling into what seems to be a common trap. I am having to register/title my tractor as a commercial vehicle and I believe that there is a way to get around this by converting to a Motor Home.

I would greatly appreciate any guidance as to how I can convert my tractor into an RV with the State of Michigan.

Thanks in advance!

Dave

MI MH N N Web Site application-pdf.pngMI_CDLManual.pdf
application-pdf.pngMI_257.49a.pdf
application-pdf.pngMI_RecreationalDouble.pdf
MI 257.49a exempts RVs from special licenses.

MI Recreational Doubles define the rules for towing double trailers.

"R" endorsement required if pulling two trailers

Start here, from the resource guide.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

Just be aware that while you may be a hobby racer in the eyes of the IRS, DOT runs by a different set of rules.  If your car or trailer is owned by a business, or you have sponsors, or win prizes, you're commercial.

When we first bought our rig, my business owned the truck/motorhome.  My accountant said sure, lots of companies own a motorhome for their executives.  But, then it's registered under the company name, making ti commercial in the eyes of DOT.  I bought it from the company, at a loss of course.

Good luck. And welcome.👍

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

On 3/19/2019 at 7:05 AM, Pro 5 Racing said:

New to the forum, thank you for the add. I have a 2013 Freightliner, and Wildside Trailer that is used for hauling my racecar/equipment. Racing is our family hobby, and I do not use the trailer for any commercial business.

I am falling into what seems to be a common trap. I am having to register/title my tractor as a commercial vehicle and I believe that there is a way to get around this by converting to a Motor Home.

I would greatly appreciate any guidance as to how I can convert my tractor into an RV with the State of Michigan.

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Howdy Dave,

I am NOT a DOT enforcement officer nor do I pretend to be one on the internet, that said we DO have some folks on this list who are or have been DOT officers and they may comment to your thread.

I am not familiar with your trailer, is it a toy hauler or a dedicated car hauler with no living quarters?  If its a toy hauler and you DON'T have any signage advertising that you are a racer on the truck and or the trailer you may get by, if your trailer is a dedicated car hauler without  living quarters and you have any signage on it advertising that your a racer I would wager that you WILL find yourself on the side of the road having a very costly conversation with a DOT officer.  Folks who do the hobby rodeo thing find themselves in the same position.

Dave

Edited by mr. cob
Cuz i cant sqel

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

I live in Mi. and pull my racecar with a Peterbilt 359 with antique plates. Use to have Gulfway Insurance and now state farm. No CDL also. The only one  I know of was Jegg's with their huge bug yellow rig with their name on side getting a big ticket for not having a CDL driver. Hello your commercial advertizing a business. I think my buddy just put a porta potti in his Freightliner. Funny thing the SOS just played dumb with me saying just get it weighed for $$$.3qyQSiml.jpg

Edited by beemergary
more info

• 2 weeks later...

I converted in Michigan last summer. You need a permanently installed toilet, sink, refrigerator, microwave (or other form of cooking), bed, and separate HVAC from truck. I titled as a motor home and paid the registration based on the truck purchase price. The secretary of the state just requires a signature saying you have all of the items listed above and your out the door. No inspections. They did say that dot or a state officer could ask to inspect the truck if you are pulled over. I had some issue with insurance because all of the companies stated that I couldn’t have a fifth wheel hitch. I ended up with farm bureau and they were great. I can look through my info if you need more details. After it was all said and done I pay less to drive the truck than any of my other vehicles.

• 2 years later...

Will a port-a-pot qualify as a permanent installed toilet? I am adding a generator to the semi to power the microwave,small space heater... a small fridge wired to the trucks batteries and inverter. I have a pedestal foot pump sink with a fresh & grey water containers. Will the small heater & a fan ran off the generator qualify as a hvac not powered by the semi engine? Commercial hitch removed. Jackolope wiring converter & brake controller installed. 

Michigan 

Edited by guytim

I have a porta potty in my truck. I don't know about Michigan but in Nebraska they didn't even check.  Actually, I went to the DMV to see what I needed. They asked me a bunch of questions if I have this, and do you have that and on and on I just kept saying yes. She gave me a plate and we walked out. Got in the car and I looked at my wife and said now we have to go get all the stuff I just said we had. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Unless your state requires it, don't waste time, space, and money in items you may not use.  In Ohio and Indiana, all that's required is bed, dining table w/seating, refrigerator or icebox (cooler) and oven or range for cooking.

Of course states differ in requirements.  If I were in a state that offered "private truck" or something similar, I wouldn't bother with converting to MH.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

On 3/8/2022 at 6:13 AM, rickeieio said:

Unless your state requires it, don't waste time, space, and money in items you may not use.  In Ohio and Indiana, all that's required is bed, dining table w/seating, refrigerator or icebox (cooler) and oven or range for cooking.

Of course states differ in requirements.  If I were in a state that offered "private truck" or something similar, I wouldn't bother with converting to MH.

In Nebraska we don't need a bed, but we need a toilet. I assume its implied that its an RV and it will have one. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

• 1 month later...

In Virginia I Registered mine as a private truck. I do have a CDL. I got insurance as a private truck. And it’s currently only 70$ a month through State Farm. The only trailer I am supposed to pull right now is a fifth wheel camper. Of course I would need to add that to the insurance. Might be able to add another trailer if I talk to them. 
Virginia registration form has two blocks at the top asking if it will be registered as a commercial or private. That’s it. I called and they didn’t care. You just pay more for the registration because of the weight. It was a little more than 500$ for a year.