Nebraska/Iowa floods

jenandjon

Be aware if you are planning on traveling though either state this summer many roads and bridges are washed out. It is going to take a long time to fix all this. I don't have a complete list but I know that many campgrounds are also destroyed. Double check your routes before you get there and find out you have to go a hundred of miles out of the way. I know Hy 281 is a very popular north south route to get to  South Dakota. A dam broke so that is not passable anymore. If you travel that way to Sturgis you have to find a another way. I-29 in Iowa is now under water. We still don't know the extent of the damage. Just yesterday another bridge collapsed on Hy 275 in Nebraska.

I live in North Eastern Nebraska while I was not effected many of my friends and family are. I have a friend staying with me who lost everything. My dad is in a hotel. Not allowed to go home. I'm afraid he lost everything also. Whole towns had to be evacuated and were under water. Some still are.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

It certainly looks devastating in Nebraska.  We had friends leave Florida early and return home to western Tennessee due to severe flooding of the Tennessee River in that area.  I suspect the spring floods in many states will be severe this year.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

Everyone is looking at the water in eastern Nebraska but I'm looking at the temps out west in South Dakota and Nebraska, until the frost is out the water will keep on coming because it can't soak in just run off. It happens in that part of the country often but this year is a little more than in the past but nothing new. The COE lake our home base in NE is next to is in flood pool so I'm sure they will have to start releasing water soon to make room for spring rains and snow melt out west just a nasty cycle of to much water and not enough.

Denny 

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

My son lives in Omaha and I am planning on being there sometime in April or May. The Omaha KOA in Gretna is uphill and dry. They will open as scheduled April 1sr. The town of Ashland is flooded but Pine Grove RV Park in Ashland, between Omaha and Lincoln is not flooded and should open soon  

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

We hosted at Big Lake SP in NW MO last year and planned to visit there again this summer. They have been completely flooded. The last time that happened there was talk about closing the park. It was rebuilt then, but this time may be a different story. Since the park and town are literally IN the Missouri River, will the taxpayers stand for two rebuilds in seven years? SHOULD it be rebuilt? Those questions aren't for us to answer, but I'm sure that many people who are asking them WILL have to answer them.

If we can't stay at Big Lake we'll find another place to go.

Be sure to check the State department of transportation website for road closures and call or email any campgrounds you are interested in far enough in advance to allow you to look at Plans B, C, D, E and F.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

On 3/22/2019 at 2:19 PM, kb0zke said:

We hosted at Big Lake SP in NW MO last year and planned to visit there again this summer. They have been completely flooded. The last time that happened there was talk about closing the park. It was rebuilt then, but this time may be a different story. Since the park and town are literally IN the Missouri River, will the taxpayers stand for two rebuilds in seven years? SHOULD it be rebuilt? Those questions aren't for us to answer, but I'm sure that many people who are asking them WILL have to answer them.

If we can't stay at Big Lake we'll find another place to go.

Be sure to check the State department of transportation website for road closures and call or email any campgrounds you are interested in far enough in advance to allow you to look at Plans B, C, D, E and F.

There comes a time that they shouldn't be able to get flood insurance, in extreme SE Nebraska the last time this happened the farmers were told they would get paided to rebuild but they will no longer have flood insurance. They can still farm the ground but no buildings or structures will be insured. Most moved off the farm but still farmed the ground because it's the best around because of the flooding.

Denny 

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

"There comes a time that they shouldn't be able to get flood insurance,..." I doubt that a State would have any commercial insurance. Government entities are generally self-insured, so rebuilding the park would be up to the State of Missouri.

Big Lake SP has eight camper cabins that can be moved, and I'm pretty sure that they were all taken to high ground well before the flood came. Most of the campsites are electric-only, with maybe 20 basic (non-electric) sites. The only FHU sites are the host sites. I'm guessing that they have ways to shut off the electricity and the water hydrants scattered around the park. The office area is the highest part of the park, and in 2012 they only had water in the basement. Don't know how this flood compares to that one.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Archived