Health Insurance for early retires

Dreams do come true

Want to see what some of you have for health insurance. We are retiring early and hitting the road. We need to have some type of insurance starting the first of August. Wondering what some of you might use for health insurance. We are fairly healthy and would need it for sure for 2 1/2 years. I look forward to hearing from anyone that was in the same boat as we are. Thanks Bob and Terry "Dreams do come true".  

Bob and Terry,

What we have used and still do have is a health cost sharing program called https://www.chministries.org/.

This is not insurance and shouldn't be relied on like insurance.  But if you have the means and follow the instructions laid out for you, this works very well.  Would be glad to speak with you about it anytime.  I don't receive any compensation for telling you about it unless you use my member code if you sign up.  (1 free month fee).  You can share in the same program as you share with others once you come on board.  Look it up and catch all the reviews.  This is really ideal for us travelers out there.  Don't have to worry about where I am in the country.  Not forced to use anybody.  Lots of tools to manage your care using this program.

Good luck.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Congrats on retiring early!  I take it you are 2.5 yrs away from medicare?  Wish I could give you an idea but someone will be along.  My situation fits few.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

Thanks Rocky and Sheri. I have heard of it and I do work in healthcare and have seen a couple of people that is work well and others that have a huge bill that still is not been paid. Not sure on it. I will read more about it. Thanks for your comment and if I have any questions I will certainly ask. 

Never had employer health insurance. Three years ago $2800 per 1/4 $5000 deductible. 2018 $4600 per 1/4 year with $12000 deductible.

I am with Blue Cross. I am now on medicare but wife still pays $2700 per 1/4 for one more year. A lot of people don't know how much insurance has gone up over the last few years. Getting insurance is doable with plenty of money. Good luck with your search.

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

When I retired at 60 and had to fund 5 yrs of private heath insurance until Medicare kicked in, it was all pre-obamacare. So it was a very different marketplace. I was able to find a reasonably priced Bluecross/Blueshield plan with nationwide coverage. Today the choices are more limited and more expensive, and vary greatly depending on your home state and even your home county within the state. Most reasonably priced options are HMO type that limit covered care to a specific region. Many limit out of network coverage to "emergencies". PPO policies with national coverage are harder & harder to find. There is no "one size fits all" answer, but start by reviewing this site that summarizes most of your options and is specific for RV'ers  

http://www.rverinsurance.com/

Jim

This is the very reason that I continued to work until Medicare age. I would be very careful with any type of share plan and be sure that you understand what you get in that plan. It is not health insurance. I hear people say that I am healthy but that can change fast. Plans with deductibles of $10,000 or more are not something that I would want to try. If you have your deductibles, for you and spouse, you could try it. Good Luck

• CHM is affordable and compassionate  (we have the Gold Plan, $1800 per year, per person)
  • An eligible option for individuals under the Affordable Care Act (ACA)
  • Generous maternity program
  • Choose your own healthcare providers
  • No application fee or annual fee  (we are also members of the Brother's Keeper Program, no more than $50 per quarter)
  • No one is dropped or denied membership due to medical conditions  (this was important to us for pre existing conditions)
  • Costs are not adjusted based on medical conditions or history  (the cost adjusted only once since 2000)
  • Bill discounts often eliminate out-of-pocket expenses  (this was a surprise for us! Almost every Dr. or facility gave a 25 to 30% discount when submitting yourself as a cash paying patient.  That "out of pocket" expense discount 1st helps you!)
  • Longevity, integrity and accountability
  • One free month for each new membership you bring to CHM
  • Knowing that each financial gift goes to help a fellow Christian as fellow Christians stand by to help you!

You have lots of reading to do so get started.  This program has taken care of our medical expenses like knee replacements, triple by-pass surgery.  Probably the big difference with CHM - it is not a for profit company.  Lots of sources on their website.

True, there is not a one size fits all plan out there.  But this one was recommended to me by several individuals.  Can't talk about the other share programs, but can give a big thumbs up for this one.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
HERO Makers Ministry

That is $150 per month! What do you think you will get for that? It is my understanding that you can get 25% or more discount for cash almost anywhere? I get 30% cash discount for lab work in the UP of MI during the summer when I am there. I still believe that you get what you paid for. I have obtained health insurance for more then 500 employees for many years, for profit and non-profit providers, you get what you paid for.

There is a separate category that discusses alot of the health options.  Kyle from RVer heatlh insurance or healthsherpa.com can give you some advice as well.

If you travel out of state that is the most difficult part o any insurance.  Even in state providers are more and more limited as providers leave networks.  It is hard to stay within one hospital system or the MD you like.

18 hours ago, whj469 said:

That is $150 per month! What do you think you will get for that?           We get a really good savings on our overall healthcare.            It is my understanding that you can get 25% or more discount for cash almost anywhere?       This is true and by asking and receiving that discount, it lowers your max out of pocket ($500 per incident) You get the savings first before the share program does.          I get 30% cash discount for lab work in the UP of MI during the summer when I am there. I still believe that you get what you paid for. I have obtained health insurance for more then 500 employees for many years, for profit and non-profit providers, you get what you paid for.                There are many testimonies on the website and thousands of people are being helped by this sharing program.  More importantly, there are thousands more who are helping share the burdens of others healthcare.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
HERO Makers Ministry

Archived