Limited power issue

Cat

I had my 2000 Avion Savanna unplugged and running on battery for a time.  Now when I plug it in, the outlets work but the things on the battery do not.  I know there is a switch or something like that, I lost the owners manual and cannot remember.  

Welcome to the Escapee forums!

The outlets all operate on 120V-AC electricity that comes directly from your power cord while the other things require 12V-DC electricity that must come either from the battery or from a converter that changes 120V-AC into 12V-DC power. I suspect that your problem may be the battery has failed as a shorted battery could cause your problems. There are other possible causes but it probably is not a switch. I suggest that you first take the time to read The 12V Side of Life by Mark Nemeth to better understand what you have. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

1 hour ago, Kirk W said:

There are other possible causes but it probably is not a switch.

With all due respect, there may be a breaker protecting the 12V converter as well as a switch on the device itself.  If either of those is OFF the result would be a lack of 12V power.  It's also possible that the converter has failed and didn't recharge the batteries after they were drawn down.  A complete battery failure is one of the last things I would consider after checking out these possibilities.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Hope this link helps: http://my.execpc.com/~drg/avionrem.html

Interesting enough that Avion website references  The 12V side of life for electrical basics.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

11 hours ago, docj said:

With all due respect, there may be a breaker protecting the 12V converter as well as a switch on the device itself.  If either of those is OFF the result would be a lack of 12V power. 

Which is the reason that I said probably? As a career technician, I say that based on the probability that nobody mentioned any action to turn a switch off. Even if a breaker were tripped, the battery would have to be discharged as well. A good quick check is to see if the lights will turn on even dimly. The circuit breaker could be tripped but again isn't a high probability in my opinion. You are free to your opinion, but I think that I am also. 😉

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 2:12 AM, Cat said:

Now when I plug it in, the outlets work but the things on the battery do not.  I know there is a switch or something like that

If "things on the battery" don't work there's EITHER

a) A dead battery OR

b) Circuit breaker of fuse(s) that are tripped or blown or an open wire between the battery and 12 VDC distribution system input

HOWEVER when plugged to shore power ifffff you have a working??? Converter/Charger that's ON with 120 VAC present on its input (IE no tripped 120 VAC input breaker)   and    ALSO  ifff there no tripped breakers of fuses or an open wire/circuit between its DC output and the batteries,,,,,,,

"things on the battery" 12 should work unless there's a serious battery problem    

Years ago (past used RV dealer and 49 year RV owner)  I saw RV's with changeover systems between the battery and Converter so you could select Converter OR Battery to feed 12 VDC loads but I haven't seen that in a long time

If NOOOOOOOOOOOOO 12 VDC loads are working even with a good working and connected (no breakers or blown fuses) Converter/Charger, Id be looking for an open wire or bad loose connection or tripped breaker or blown fuse between the battery + output post up to the DC distribution fuse panel. On many RV's theres a fairly large wire from the Battery + up to the DC distribution panel (also needs a good connected -) and there should be a breaker or fuse in the circuit/wires FROM battery up to 12 VDC distribution/fuse panel.

You need to see if the battery is charged and reads like12+ Volts ???? If the Converter/Charger is working when plugged to shore power battery voltage could rise from say 13 to 14+ volts does it ?????????? IFFFFFFFFFFF the battery is charged and if the Converter/Charger is working but still no 12 volt loads operate I suspect a bad or broke or open wire or a tripped breaker of blown fuse FROM the battery up TO the 12 VDC distribution/fuse panel. No 12 VDC there means no working 12 VDC loads.

You say NO 12 VDC loads (lights or vent fans or water pump etc) work right?? and Even on shore power with a working powered up Converter/Charger still no 12 VDC loads work right ??  CHECK BATTERY AND WIRES AND/OR FUSES/BREAKERS from battery to 12 VDC distribution/fuse panel and also insure there's 120 VAC to the Converter/Charger input (no tripped 120 VAC breaker feeding it) and its output is connected to the battery )no open circuit or fuses or tripped breaker)

John T

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2019 at 2:12 AM, Cat said:

I had my 2000 Avion Savanna unplugged and running on battery for a time.  Now when I plug it in, the outlets work but the things on the battery do not.  I know there is a switch or something like that, I lost the owners manual and cannot remember.  

Did you ever get this figured out?

Archived