Volvo wire gauge size

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

What is the size gauge size for the head lights on a Volvo ? I can not find any info on the wire. That is the reason for the question.

Thanks for any input,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Al, I don't know what gauge wire they use but I have read that the factory wire is not heavy enough, as there is significant voltage drop at the headlights.  You would think that Volvo would use the proper gauge wire but I guess cost overrides sound engineering and manufacturing decisions in too many cases.?!  David Dixon would probably have the answer as to what gauge wire would be best for the headlight circuitry.      Charlie            On edit, I'm pretty sure that David is the one who said the factory headlight wire gauge is undersized.

Edited by sclord2002

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

9 minutes ago, sclord2002 said:

Al, I don't know what gauge wire they use but I have read that the factory wire is not heavy enough, as there is significant voltage drop at the headlights.  You would think that Volvo would use the proper gauge wire but I guess cost overrides sound engineering and manufacturing decisions in too many cases.?!  David Dixon would probably have the answer as to what gauge wire would be best for the headlight circuitry.      Charlie            On edit, I'm pretty sure that David is the one who said the factory headlight wire gauge is undersized.

Hi Charlie,

David got back to me a few days old. I sent him an email asking about the color codes on the head light wires and he must have seen my question. His answer to me was 16 AWG. Next month I'll tell you more about what I am doing.

Talk to you later. Thanks,
Al

16 hours ago, NTPA Announcer said:

OH OH.....Al's going back to the 70's .....All I can see is 47 disco balls in and around the entire rig.  Dang it , I got to go.... I need MORE CHICKEN LIGHTS !!!

Got to get the truck ready for light up the night. lol.

• 3 weeks later...

Gir R Dun !!  Al

I think our ECR Light up the night is growing for 2019. It seems there's a lot more interest. I'm just kinda afraid of what David Dixon and Milo have cooked up.....

I'm coming in Sunday and have to leave on Saturday this year due to covering events. I'd always love to come in a week early and stay a few days after , but that's for next year. See everyone soon as I'm really looking forward to this !!

Denver and Ms Judy Geitgey

2006 VOLVO 780

41 ' Redwood

NTPA Event Announcer

dngeitgey@gmail.com

event.png