Tinker Week?

rickeieio

Susan and I have been thinking of hosting a "gathering", not a rally, where folks could drop bye and we'd collectively fix stuff.  I'm not volunteering to repair everyone's trucks, but we have a decent farm shop with basic tools, concrete floor, refrigerator, and a guard cat.

Well, Jeff and Cindy Brett stayed with us for a few days, we worked on their truck a bit, and I proposed the idea to them.  After some bantering, and a couple beers, we thought early June might work.  There's a big rig friendly cg not far away, some of you have stayed at Little Farm on the River, in Rising Sun Indiana.  http://www.littlefarmresort.com/

I'm thinking we just hang out, bring a couple of trucks to our shop each day, and repair/modify/polish, or whatever  No seminars, no banquet, just tinkering, campfires, and story tell'n.

Think about it..........

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will there be any Dr. Pepper??

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Dr.Pepper will be available, especially for any newly retired folks.

My shop is near exit 21 on I-275 around Cincinnati.  Look for Pope Farms of Ohio on google maps.  It's 20 miles from the cg.

We can get two trucks in the shop at once, and more on the concrete aprons at each end.

I have tools and hardware on hand, but don't plan on providing a lot of materials.  A few of you have been here and participated in projects before.  While this certainly is no truck repair facility, we can have some fun doing simple projects and just have fun.  If you've been thinking of changing out air bags, putting on a new muffler, modifying your bed, etc, c'mon over.  I gots plenty of duct tape and zip ties.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

Bad timing as we will be at that campground the first weekend of May, would have been nice if the rally we are attending was later. . Oh  well but does sound like a neat idea.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Bubble gum and baling wire are so old skool.  Now we use zip ties and duct tape.

I had wanted to do this the week after the ECR, but so many folks hang out for the "after party", plus we have an appointment at Parkers Crossroads for some work on the rv.  And, we know of a couple folks who will be at Little Farm in early June.

A benefit of doing this at the last minute is that it'll hopefully be small this year, and can get a feel for what folks want.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

28 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Bubble gum and baling wire are so old skool.  Now we use zip ties and duct tape.

I had wanted to do this the week after the ECR, but so many folks hang out for the "after party", plus we have an appointment at Parkers Crossroads for some work on the rv.  And, we know of a couple folks who will be at Little Farm in early June.

A benefit of doing this at the last minute is that it'll hopefully be small this year, and can get a feel for what folks want.

I think if zip ties disappeared our rig would collapse right in the middle of the road.  

15 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Susan and I have been thinking of hosting a "gathering", not a rally, where folks could drop bye and we'd collectively fix stuff.  I'm not volunteering to repair everyone's trucks, but we have a decent farm shop with basic tools, concrete floor, refrigerator, and a guard cat.

Well, Jeff and Cindy Brett stayed with us for a few days, we worked on their truck a bit, and I proposed the idea to them.  After some bantering, and a couple beers, we thought early June might work.  There's a big rig friendly cg not far away, some of you have stayed at Little Farm on the River, in Rising Sun Indiana.  http://www.littlefarmresort.com/

I'm thinking we just hang out, bring a couple of trucks to our shop each day, and repair/modify/polish, or whatever  No seminars, no banquet, just tinkering, campfires, and story tell'n.

Think about it..........

Howdy Rick,

Well, if this were happening later in the year say around October I'd probably be at least in your area and would love to sit in a lawn chair and help you supervise the projects, whilst sipping a cold one of course, I am not much for story tellin but have been know to swap tall tales from time to time.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

4 hours ago, sdixon747 said:

Gail and I will be at Little Farm the week following the ECR. It’s always fun “Tinkering at Rick’s”. 

The day we spent when you and Rocky came, then working with Paul G. (adept99) is what sparked the idea.  Then working with Jeff this week cemented it.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

1 hour ago, noteven said:

Useful pre-visit info:

Duct tape test

They need to test performance after the tape has "seasoned" in the toolbox for a few years.🤔

Last spring, I found a roll of tape that the river washed into one of my fields.  It looks fine, and is on my work bench now. Perhaps it's past it's prime.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

9 hours ago, rickeieio said:

They need to test performance after the tape has "seasoned" in the toolbox for a few years.🤔

Last spring, I found a roll of tape that the river washed into one of my fields.  It looks fine, and is on my work bench now. Perhaps it's past it's prime.

My cargo/enclosed/bike garage trailer has a owie on the fibreglass roof cap at the front where it tried to move a hunnert year old elm tree...

Annyways the black gorilla tape on the wound has been there for 7 years....it’s getting a bit gray looking but I have fresh black gorilla on hand...

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

I appear to have an over-pressure issue with the engine oil system. Had an air leak  going on for several weeks, but no issues other than the air leak, just drained down overnight. When I went to move the truck, it went about 10 yards, flashed a (high) oil pressure indication, went to a mandatory stop indication, and shut down. After 3 or 4 more attempts to move it out of the way, a check of the engine bay didn't show any obvious signs, but did show the coolant level increasing from the norm. Looks like oil in the coolant system to me. After diddling around a bit more, seems that the air leak is related in some way because the auto cutout for the air system is going past the normal limits. More tinkering fun today. Hopefully its not a head gasket.

Edited by adept99

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

1 hour ago, adept99 said:

Hopefully its not a head gasket.

At least it did it in the comfort of your own driveway, rather than in Texarkana.

My money's on a blown gasket in the compressor.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

14 hours ago, rickeieio said:

At least it did it in the comfort of your own driveway, rather than in Texarkana.

My money's on a blown gasket in the compressor.

Same here, low air pressure and oil in the coolant is usually in the compressor. Could be a cracked compressor head but more than likely a blown head gasket on the compressor.

Edited by GeorgiaHybrid

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

I woulda thought youse guys woulda figgered out not to talk technical stuff after the night before by now. The problem is HIGH air pressure, not low. Once the compressor reaches the normal cut-out pressure, it just keeps going up, and the higher the pressure, the faster the pressure builds.

Rick suggested blown head gasket. Just went down & checked for that specifically. This is a D-12 Volvo engine. It is either a gear drive or a chain drive in a fully enclosed housing like a timing cover. Some of the rotating shafts are seeping but there are no leaks, especially no leaks on the compressor head. Dry as a popcorn fart. 

That said, this seems to be best characterized by something blocking the compressor output. Have not checked wet tank or storage tanks, but does seem to set parking brake. Need to check that further. ($100K of rolling stock, and I have to fix something so we can leave the house tomorrow)

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

I guess I missed something.....    Is it the air pressure, or the oil pressure, or both, that's shutting you down?

I think this is gonna be something hard to find, and silly simple when you find it.  Like cheap parts and $$$ labor.

Let me add, Paul told me that he has a loud air leak under the cab, on the drivers' side.  Isn't that where Volvo put the air governor on those trucks?  Could it be related?  Like the governor is telling the compressor to cease functions, but it still builds pressure until the governor pops of? Meanwhile, over pressured air is escaping from the compressor into an oil galley or sump'n.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Shutting down on high oil pressure which appears to be caused by high air pressure. 

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

Paul, check your unloader valve if the entire air system is getting too much pressure. If the high pressure is just at the compressor, you have a blockage in the line or inside the compressor. I would start by adding shop air to the system to see if the air dryer and pop off are working right. After that, remove the airline at the compressor to see if the line has a blockage. If all of that is good, it's time to pull the compressor.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Well, more bad assumptions and explanations. I used to work for an air compressor company in Fresno, Ca. Also worked for a hydraulics company out there. So I sat down last night & did a little flow chart. Result...What I was saying was happening could not be happening. Back to the chart. At the end of the evening, seemed like to me everything was really pointing to some type of sensor.

Called my local friendly diesel shop & got them to come by with their scanner. And Doncha know that Volvo has a dual function sensor for oil and coolant temperature. Plugged the scanner in & found out that sitting still with engine off that I had 104 psi of oil pressure. With the scanner unplugged, shows about 45 psi oil pressure vs normal of 60. Keep in mind that this is with the engine off. Engine running, 104 or so.

Pulled the sensor, will install a new one & my money is on problem solved. As for the rest of it, won't know until we start & drive it.

Welcome to the Twilight Zone (cue hokey music)

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

20 hours ago, rickeieio said:

I think this is gonna be something hard to find, and silly simple when you find it.

Way cheaper than I would have thought.  You must be living right.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN