HDT Jeep Hauler

mrchips

If you ever wanted a Jeep hauler, or any vehicle of similar or shorter length and still be able to pull your fiver, I have the one you want. 2013 Volvo 730. D13 Ishift, Eco-torque XE performance package, 2.64 rears 6x4, 635,000 miles 100% ready to hook up and go. I bought this truck in Nov 2017 and since have turned it into a hauler. We fulltime and use it all the time. I have an extensive list of items I have added, replaced or repaired. All service since I have owned it has been done at Volvo and just two weeks ago had a valve adjustment and full Volvo inspection and service. I am sure I have forgotten some things I have done, but this is a list of everything off the top of my head. I built the bed and have done all work on the truck except the heavy lift items. Truck is 100% ready to go. All you need to supply is a vehicle to put on the bed, tie down straps and a fifthwheel. 

10” chrome front bumper with LED running lights

David Dixon headlight conversion with new housings,    David Dixon fog lights

New king pins, bearings, bushings      New King shocks on steer axle

New brake cans, slack adjusters and S cams at all positions

New brake liners on front      New drive axle shocks

New ride height control valve       New Yokohama steer tires and centramatic balancing rings

Three new Michelin Super single rear tires, one that is three years old

LED stop/turn/running lights on rear of fairing

45 Gal black/grey tank under the bed with standard RV sewer dump

Tucson Brake trailer brake controller      Jackalopee for trailer lights

1000w inverter with cab power and installed battery maintainer

7” 4 camera monitor with two truck cameras and wired for trailer camera, all CabCam system

Dash cam    TPMS system      New stereo    New CB antenna wiring      New fridge

Complete new interior, new carpet, new door panels, new workstation cushion covers, new wall covering.

New Legacy Silver air ride seats in both positions

New Donvel air control valves on seats, cab and drive axles

New cab shocks     New front windshield

Comfort Ride 30K hitch

Fresh 3 axle alignment      Valve adjustment and full Volvo inspection and service

$68,500 as it sits (minus the jeep)….lol

FuCr79cl.jpg

69RuZnPl.jpg

ueduY2Cl.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/30/2021 at 6:33 AM, Free wheeling said:

Hello Mr. Chips,

who did the bed to the tractor and what did it cost? We are looking to buy and or build something just like yours.

thanks

robert

I don't think Mr Chips follows the forum much as they have sold the truck and moved into a Class A and he tows the jeep on a trailer behind the class A now. 

I believe the bed shown in these pictures is the first bed he built and later extended the wheel base on the truck to not have that much overhang which can cause handling issues. 

If you want to carry a vehicle long ways on the truck and still pull a 5th wheel, you will want to consider having a long wheelbase on the truck and do some very good weight calculations. But then your manueverability will suffer with the longer wheelbase but the ride may be better.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

• 4 months later...

I built a Isuzu several years ago for a smaller fifthwheel  at that time I had all the metal working tools plasma cutter mig welder , I have a friend that has a 2014 international With sleeper  he just about wants to give it away 7,000. Dollars it has 750,000 miles  I have thought about putting a bigger one together but being 73 yrs old I may not be up to it ,I want to haul a 2018 Ford Edge  I like some of the older fifthwheel  Travel supreme those were well built units  I can’t buys these new Fifthwheels but 150,000 is way to much for me