Leaking Leveling Jacks

Sharing what I've done to stop severely leaking hydraulic leveling jacks .

Our 2000 Monaco has Power Gear leveling jacks . They leaked a little over the last few years , but , the leaking reached the point of leaking fluid pretty bad . I had to readjust the level almost every day and , of course , the leaks left puddles of fluid .

I thought I'd have to remove the jacks and replace the seals .

Trying to avoid that task , I thought I'd try a transmission stop leak first . I bought Bar's Leak Automatic Transmission Repair ( pictured below ) . It is compatible with all automatic transmission fluids . Our system uses Dexron 3 . 

Being there was more than enough fluid on the ground , I wasn't too worried about over filling the system . Just to be sure , I retracted the jacks and applied the 'repair' .

To better mix the 'repair' with the fluid in the system , I cycled ( extend and retract ) the jacks 3 or 4 times .

That was a few days ago . The first day the rig settled a bit , but not as much as before . I readjusted . Since then , the rig has not sank a bit . And , no fresh fluid on the ground . 

So far , I'm a very happy camper . :D

I'll give the fix a fair amount of time and report whether it held or not .

81wwKY9yPtL._SY879_.jpg

Goes around , comes around .

This is a temporary fix.  All it does is swell the old elastomer seals.

Ken 

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Hydraulic equipment users have used similar products for many years to extend the life of the seals. Yes, it's a temporary fix, but one that sometimes works for several years before the cylinders need rebuilding. Many years ago, adding some brake fluid to hydraulic systems was a fairly common practice to swell leaking seals, but I don't know if the chemistry of the current brake fluids and seal materials still work that way though.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

13 hours ago, TXiceman said:

This is a temporary fix.  All it does is swell the old elastomer seals.

Ken 

It sure did what it said it would . As for temporary , what on this earth isn't ? 

2 hours ago, WeBeFulltimers said:

Agree. Could do more damage than good. Snake oil.

Snake oil turned a system that was doing no good into something that actually works . 

How long it will work is a story yet to be told .

Goes around , comes around .

A transmission stop leak product ( I don't recall the brand) sealed up the formerly leaking hydraulic cylinders on my old 1958 John Deere backhoe/loader for over four years until I sold it. I told the buyer what I was using, and as far as I know, he didn't have any problems either before I lost touch with him a couple of years later.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Yes it may be a temporary solution, however, the leaking seals were going to require removal  and rebuilding the entire system anyway at some point in time. There would be liittle logic in repairing only the leaking seals, when the entire hyd system is tthe same age. Why not  go this route, then plan on rebuilding the jacks, solenoids, pump, valves, new hoses, etc.,  ie, the entire system when the "temporary fix" stops working?

That's what I would do instead of repairing only the jacks, then waiting for the other shoe to drop. More expensive that way, worry-free in the future.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived