GlennWest

Dometic Weatherpro awning problem

Our awning motor I believe is failing. It will work sometimes but is getting worse. Motor sounds to be in a bind. I will start to move and will stop. We can start it again shortly and go a ways and stop. It will come back in if we continue with this.Needless to say I need to fix this. It appears to be the original on our Teton. The canvas appears to not have any wrinkles in it so don't think that issue.  We have 4 12v batteries and they charged good so that not issue. Never worked on a awning. Something I can do by myself? DW not getting around good now so she no help. She would if she could.

Edited by GlennWest

Be aware of the coiled spring under tension inside. Bites like a rattler if you take things apart in the wrong order. I'd probably start with a voltage measurement, at the motor, as the awning moves. A small voltage drop can do a lot on a 12 volt system. Watch for any interference at the same time.

1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

I was under the impression that the electric awing didn't have tension.  

Yes, electric awnings are under spring tension. You Tube is your friend.

I replaced the electric motor in our awning a couple of years ago. Mine quit altogether and smelled burned up so I knew it was dead.

And as has already been stated, be very, very respectful of the torsion spring in the tube end opposite the motor. It will hurt you badly if you let it get away from you. Mine got away from me at one point and I thought it had broken my hand. Talked to an RV Tech who knew of a man who had lost fingers to one. 

As long as you keep it totally under control you'll be find. But learn all you can about it before starting work.

Found my manual for it. It states placing a carter key in a slot and that locks in tension so motor can be replaced. 

Edited by GlennWest

I ended up taking my motor out first to: 1. Verify that it was truly dead, and 2. Get the relevant part numbers off of it. 

I ended up getting my new replacement motor off of E-bay for significantly less than other places. The place I got it converts new electric awnings to manual awnings and then sells the motors. Seems weird, but it looked brand new and has worked like a champ. 

Getting the cotter pin in can be a little tricky. My manual listed the wrong size (too large) and I couldn't get it in. I ended up using a drill bit as a pin (because that is what I had to work with) and it worked fine. You have to get the two holes lined up and that will take a little fiddling. 

Edited by mptjelgin

7 minutes ago, mptjelgin said:

I ended up taking my motor out first to: 1. Verify that it was truly dead, and 2. Get the relevant part numbers off of it. 

I ended up getting my new replacement motor off of E-bay for significantly less than other places. The place I got it converts new electric awnings to manual awnings and then sells the motors. Seems weird, but it looked brand new and has worked like a champ. 

Getting the cotter pin in can be a little tricky. My manual listed the wrong size (to large) and I couldn't get it in. I ended up using a drill bit as a pin (because that is what I had to work with) and it worked fine. You have to get the two holes lined up and that will take a little fiddling. 

Thank you. Sounds like we may have same awning. Did it have to be retracted or extended to do this

It is easier if you have it out just a little bit (couple of feet) to give you some working room.  No need to have it way out, as that puts even more tension on the spring. 

Thanks. It's windy today and couldn't if it needed to be out. Found that guy on ebay. 

Edited by GlennWest

wind died down. Noticed while retracting awning, the arms are under so much pressure they bow. This is the arm that the push rods like the storage doors have,  are connected too. Is this normal? 

I wonder if your gas struts are bent or offering a lot of resistance? That could sure burn out a motor. I just ran mine in and out and everything should be smooth with no binding or bowing.

Well, I was outside running it in and out by the weather controller in the storage bay. Nothing appears to be binding. When it stops, I can push arms up and down with little resistance. It does have to compress those struts though and it is bowing that arm but more so on the motor end. Think I will replace them to with the motor. The guy on ebay, his part number doesn't match mine. Their is some on ebay, $500ish.

We just replaced our motor and also the fabric. Was a little over $1000. Called Shade Pro, they come into our park almost daily repairing and replacing awnings. I worked out a deal and he replaced ours and I saved all my fingers.