Retiring and traveling at 50

Phxnewbie

I'll be officially retiring next year at 50 without a spouse or significant other. I'll be a youthful 50 that thinks and acts like a 40 year old.  Please don't take this the wrong way, but I have fear of staying in parks (for lack of a better term),  with no single women of my desired dating age (the ladies are going to love that line).  Is that just something I'm going to have to accept, or are there a few gals under 50?  More reason to have a toad, I guess. 😀  Thanks in advance for your responses.

There are also single groups in RV clubs. You are lucky to be able to retire at such a young age. You must get some help with your medical coverage? I had to wait until I was 67 years old before I retired because of medical insurance. Thanks for Medicare! You may be retired for 35 or more years and I hope you have planned wisely? The effects of inflation can be great over a 35 year period and your buying power could be greatly reduced? Hope your retirement has a COLA adjustment like SS? The fact that I helped my parents with their retirement before they died helped me and I did notice that as they aged they didn't spend as much money as when they first retired. Good Luck

16 minutes ago, whj469 said:

There are also single groups in RV clubs. You are lucky to be able to retire at such a young age. You must get some help with your medical coverage?

Thank you.  As of today, when buying insurance through the exchange, my insurance payments are based on income, not assets.  Although I expect that to change in the future, I think I have that figured out.  My biggest fears/concerns are lifestyle changes.  Oh, and I'm also a little concerned by the "Green New Deal" and the clueless trying to take away our diesel fuel.  I don't want to have to take a boat to Europe.

Look into this group of younger Escape members.  They meet up at various times and places throughout the year.  Some then travel together in a mini caravan or plan to meet up with each other in the future.

http://www.xscapers.com/

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Lucky you.. 50.  Do all you can now instead of waiting until you're older and unhealthier.  You are correct... most of the women will be much older. 

I hope you are retiring with enough money.. not just "quitting working."  Being old and broke (or having to work) is not a good situation.  Ever seen those Etrade commercials? "I'm eighty...five.. and I wanna go home."

7 hours ago, Phxnewbie said:

are there a few gals under 50? 

That is about what you will find, but if finding a suitable date is of major importance I wonder if this is the right lifestyle for you? Most of the under 50 women that I know from the road are also wives and often mothers as there is a growing number of younger families in the RV lifestyle. While I am sure that there are a few out on the road, Pam & I can not think of any single ladies on the road that we know who are under the age of 60.

6 hours ago, Phxnewbie said:

My biggest fears/concerns are lifestyle changes. 

RV living is a major change of lifestyle for nearly everyone who joins it. Remember that this is a lifestyle and not just a very long vacation which means that all of the baggage and life problems you have now will travel with you. There will be times that you will have problems with no friends there to assist. From time to time we all must deal with mechanical breakdowns and RV problems. Long term RV people tend to be independent and adventurous and make friends easily. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

After years of staying in RV parks around the country, I would say that if one's main interest is finding women of any age to date, I just haven't seen that much of it.   I think following the blogs of some of the younger full-time RVers might help one to understand the reality of the situation, although at your age, you are sort of between the younger set and the older set.(I believe age is more than just a number.)   I think it is more likely that one would find dating material at a location out of the RV park maybe focused on activities that both enjoy, but how many women would be interested in dating someone that was "on the road", I am just not sure.  Becky of https://interstellarorchard.com/ discussed this and although I searched for the article I couldn't find it right now.  She mentioned that she always explained when dating that she was only in the area for a short time.  

Cathy

I retired from the AirForce in 1997 and moved into a fiver. We played guitar and were looking for others our age and only met two full time RV couples our age and one 30ish in our seven years of full timing 1997-2003. Bear in mind that regardless of age the mindset of a working age person who is a weekender is just not the same. So many of my friends from my early days with Escapees in 1997 on were 20 years my seniors. Most of them are dead now, two that are gone we did Alaska with as a caravan of two rigs and we met up with my other buddy from here in town. Regardless of the many more younger folks in Escapers, and families home schooling on the road, for your age group and dating, all of the above suggestions apply. If you go trailer you'll have your truck to go out in. If you get a motorhome definitely have a toad.

The singles RV groups may have date-able ladies so do go with each group on get togethers/events/ etc. Remember weekenders will likely be married with children.

So do have a Toad or TV and go to the places you meet people now. Or start learning the dating apps online. They are not about hookers. (although they are online elsewhere too)

Good luck!

Safe travels!  (and dating)

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I’ve been full time over a month now. Enjoying it so far. I still work though and this is a nice alternative to an apartment. You can find possible dates anywhere but I believe you will have better success outside the RV parks. Mostly what I’ve seen are families and work camping males. 

At almost 54 and newly single it’s a bit of a challenge but not a surprise. 

You may need to do the online dating thing as well. You just have to get out and socialize. It’s a little difficult crossing paths with available females. Somewhere out there are compatible females who would love to go out as well. You just have to find them or they find you. 

I haven’t done an online profile yet. 

I believe a good attitude is important. Life is a journey and adventure.

Best wishes!

I’ll have to join the Escapees singles club called SOLOs.

• 4 weeks later...

My experience over the last 5 years it's nearly impossible to find Solo dating. Being on the road limits meeting chances. I joined Escapees because it is a younger crowd with focus on meeting up and social activities. However, nearly all I have met are young families. All great to meet and social so the club is right on that account but still a struggle for singles. In fact I will be meeting some young "couples" in May for some fun in CO....but...I will be the Solo, Single...lol

Someone mentioned Becky already. It wasn't an article it was actually a discussion start on one of these forums almost exactly on this topic but from the female perspective.

It was a terrific discussion and it came to the same conclusion that it's extremely difficult for Solos to cross paths let alone those Solos having enough in common to start a Nomadic Lifestyle dating...

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2019 at 3:50 PM, sandsys said:

WIN= wandering individuals network

LOW= loners on wheels

Some members of  LOW have an RV park at Bushnell, FL. for singles. They are advertising for summer help now.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

3 hours ago, JimK said:

This is the wrong lifestyle for meeting single, middle aged women.  You will find very few on the road, in RV parks or places like national park campgrounds.  

I disagree.  Join a suitable group and you'll find them.... like Xscapers.  You'll become friends and perhaps travel together or meet up in other places.   We've known some where this has worked.

Full-timed for 16 Years

Are you members of Xscapers?  Although it is a "social club" it certainly does not appear to be oriented towards singles.  In fact the orientation is "geared toward the working age RVer".  The application asks for the spouse's name, which would be strange indeed for a singles oriented group.

No, it's not oriented toward singles but they are younger RVers and there are 'some' singles in the group.  Young RVers typically still need to work.  If there's a place to put your spouse's name that doesn't mean you have to have a spouse.

Here is one geared to singles and if you look at the faces, many are young.

You just have to 'network' as in many things.

https://rvsingles.org/activities/hiking/

Full-timed for 16 Years

Archived