Do all of you have collision insurance on your RV'S?

Roadtrek 1

Yeah, I'm looking at the "cost / benefit" of insurance on our 6 year old travel trailer.   When we first bought the trailer we had it insured by State Farm (our truck insurer) and the premium was less than $200/year (can't remember the deductible).   Then, about 3 years ago the premium jumped up over $400/year - something to do with changing their underwriting from regional to national - or that's what I was being told.  

So, I shopped around and got a Progressive policy for less than $300/year ($500 deductible) but that premium has steadily increased each year until now, they've gone up over $500/year.  

It's hard to rationalize paying that much for coverage on an older travel trailer.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, chirakawa said:

Why would you need collision insurance while you are parked in a campground or storage?

Because the person who hits you while you are parked or in storage may not have any insurance. You can’t have uninsured/underinsured without your own collision coverage.  And hopefully everyone here has UIM coverage too, but that would be another thread. As a lawyer before I retired I handled numerous cases filing a UIM claim  on my own clients UIM coverage on their own policy. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

57 minutes ago, Twotoes said:

Because the person who hits you while you are parked or in storage may not have any insurance. You can’t have uninsured/underinsured without your own collision coverage.  And hopefully everyone here has UIM coverage too, but that would be another thread. As a lawyer before I retired I handled numerous cases filing a UIM claim  on my own clients UIM coverage on their own policy. 

I have three insured vehicles, two with collision coverage, one without. All of them have uninsured/underinsured coverage...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

1 hour ago, Twotoes said:

Because the person who hits you while you are parked or in storage may not have any insurance. You can’t have uninsured/underinsured without your own collision coverage.  And hopefully everyone here has UIM coverage too, but that would be another thread. As a lawyer before I retired I handled numerous cases filing a UIM claim  on my own clients UIM coverage on their own policy

Excellent explanation..... you see the "devil's in details"....and obviously a lot of people on this thread didn't understand the ramifications..... I used to work with insurance risk management issues.    It's all about liability and covering yourself.  By the way, not knowing is not as bad as not asking questions and options. 

I found it interesting that a lot of people people just jumped onto the bandwagon and ridiculing me saying things like "there's no such thing as collision insurance for towables". and "collision insurance is only good for motor vehicles.......

You should be ashamed of yourself... not to admit that you were wrong say you sorry for jumping to conclusions...

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 5:21 PM, Roadtrek 1 said:

Many people will drop their "collision insurance" once a vehicle gets old. 

I cannot imagine anyone doing this on their RV?  

Have any of you gone this route?

From:  Easier to sell timeshares vs RVs ??,  to RV collision insurance??...…

…….what's on your mind ...next?

On 3/8/2019 at 7:21 PM, Roadtrek 1 said:

Have any of you gone this route?

I will say one thing for this thread. It has gotten many of us to think about their RV insurance which they may not have done in some time. Insurance is one of those things that most of us complain about paying for but don't give a lot of thought to until we need it. I even got our RV policy out and read through the coverages again, which I hope that others have done as well. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

1 hour ago, Kirk W said:

I will say one thing for this thread. It has gotten many of us to think about their RV insurance which they may not have done in some time. Insurance is one of those things that most of us complain about paying for but don't give a lot of thought to until we need it. I even got our RV policy out and read through the coverages again, which I hope that others have done as well. 

Kirk, that's a very good idea.

Dave or I always reads the fine print on our contracts. That's how we found out the policy we bought from Progressive did not actually cover anything for us since, at that time, we only owned one vehicle--a Class B RV--and the policy required you have more than one vehicle. Fortunately we got our money back on that policy and Foremost sold us one that did cover us.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

1 hour ago, sandsys said:

Dave or I always reads the fine print on our contracts. That's how we found out the policy we bought from Progressive did not actually cover anything for us since, at that time, we only owned one vehicle--a Class B RV--and the policy required you have more than one vehicle. Fortunately we got our money back on that policy and Foremost sold us one that did cover us

Linda, the agent from Progressive Insurance should have disclosed this to you when you signed up with them....Yes, they don't want you only have the Class B....then you would be full time..... you're not full time, correct? 

We have two other cars....and we have Progressive Insurance on the van. 

Glad you were able to find another company....was the insurance premium higher because they know you use the van exclusively?

I was told (by an insurance agent) that my truck's liability insurance would cover any issues with the travel trailer while the trailer is hooked up and being towed.  But, if the trailer is parked and, for example, it rolls down a hill and smashes into somebody's RV, the truck liability coverage would not apply; I could be liable for damages to the other RV.  They said the separate collision insurance on the travel trailer would apply in a case like this.

Does this sound right?

Collision coverage pays for damage to your vehicle/trailer. Liability pays for the other guys damages. You need both to cover the trailer when it's not hooked up to the truck.

Dutch

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 8:10 AM, chirakawa said:

Comp has nothing to do with damaging other units.  Liability would cover that, if you have liability.

If it's not connected to the truck, liability is not in effect.

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

9 minutes ago, ARGO said:

If it's not connected to the truck, liability is not in effect.

Exactly, which is why I said "if you have liability".  You had said that "if it lights off & does damage to other units,  you might be glad you had comp".  I simply pointed out that comp does not pay anything if you damage other units.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

13 hours ago, Kirk W said:

You're right ....   I dug my policy out, too.   Apparently, I haven't had any travel trailer specific liability  coverage - just comprehensive+collision.   So, I'm covered by my truck's liability as long as the trailer is hooked up but, if something weird happens when the travel trailer is off the hitch in the RV park, I've got a potential liability.   

Has anyone heard of any stories where an off hitch,  stand alone travel trailer has caused a liability claim?

3 minutes ago, DavidCD said:

You're right ....   I dug my policy out, too.   Apparently, I haven't had any travel trailer specific liability  coverage - just comprehensive+collision.   So, I'm covered by my truck's liability as long as the trailer is hooked up but, if something weird happens when the travel trailer is off the hitch in the RV park, I've got a potential liability.   

Has anyone heard of any stories where an off hitch,  stand alone travel trailer has caused a liability claim?

Aren't you glad I raised this question? It's raised an issue that people should review.

If you have any specific questions regarding your policy I would highly recommend that you simply call your insurance company...they are the best source for the explaining this in detail to meet your expectations.  That's their job to explain what you are paying for. 

11 minutes ago, Roadtrek 1 said:

Aren't you glad I raised this question? It's raised an issue that people should review.

If you have any specific questions regarding your policy I would highly recommend that you simply call your insurance company...they are the best source for the explaining this in detail to meet your expectations.  That's their job to explain what you are paying for. 

I'm leaning on you all for info because I was led to believe that I had complete liability coverage on the travel trailer through the Progressive policy I was sold.

I do see now (internet searches) that various insurance companies offer "Vacation liability" and "Full-timer's liability" coverages  for RVs.  I'm guessing these are riders that could be added to the comp/collision coverage and not stand alone liability policies.

Is there such a thing as a liability-only policy for travel trailers?

12 minutes ago, DavidCD said:

I'm leaning on you all for info because I was led to believe that I had complete liability coverage on the travel trailer through the Progressive policy I was sold.

Call Progressive Insurance and talk to them.... they have the answers.

48 minutes ago, DavidCD said:

I do see now (internet searches) that various insurance companies offer "Vacation liability" and "Full-timer's liability" coverages  for RVs.  I'm guessing these are riders that could be added to the comp/collision coverage and not stand alone liability policies.

Again, it's all about the details.... some insurance companies offer insurance for RVs that are not being used and just stored. Part time is usually based on time....I think they offered me less than 30 days, 30 to 150 days part time... anything over 150 days is considered full time......

Don't assume anything. Ask questions, there are no stupid questions.  Either you have comprehensive and collision or you don't.   

Good luck. 

8 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Collision coverage pays for damage to your vehicle/trailer. Liability pays for the other guys damages. You need both to cover the trailer when it's not hooked up to the truck.

Exactly as Dutch said. You need both.  Collision will pay for the damage to your trailer and liability will pay for the damages to the other party’s personal property and bodily injury. Your truck policy only applies when hitched up to the truck. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

Fulltimer

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought a 2005 Newmar Scotsdale (30 ft.) and am now shopping for best insurance coverage. I know this is not an easy question but: What is most popular insurance carrier with Escapee members? Will a good compresive policy give me the protection I need? Would appreciate any advice? 

I have not had collision coverage since I was 16, I always pay cash. I gradually built up to my expensive cars but still bought them used and inexpensively. I just picked up our new 2019 Subaru Forester and paid cash. I do carry liability, un insured motorist, and non collision comprehensive, as well as medical. I have saved enough over the years to be able to replace this first ever new car for me 5 times over. But unless I am at fault, the other guy pays as happened a couple of years ago when my wife was rear ended in her car. I have been hit four or five times while parked and my wife rear ended. So I have never had to go out of pocket to cover a loss. I may, sometime but I am way ahead on gains.

Of course in addition to paying finance charges you have to carry collision on any vehicle financed. I know, I do things much differently. But we drive no junkers! My current truck looks and drives like new, as does my HHR, both of which are being sold. I have to sell the Scamp before the truck or together but am not ready for that yet.

Many folks are unaware non-collision comprehensive is available and takes care of everything as long as I am not at fault. I do not recommend anyone take my decisions for their own. I may even drop some of my homeowner's insurance coverages but I need to move and settle down first and the final prep is now and the move is in a few weeks.

Safe travels!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

1 hour ago, RV_ said:

I have not had collision coverage since I was 16, I always pay cash. I gradually built up to my expensive cars but still bought them used and inexpensively. I just picked up our new 2019 Subaru Forester and paid cash. I do carry liability, un insured motorist, and non collision comprehensive, as well as medical. I have saved enough over the years to be able to replace this first ever new car for me 5 times over.

A friend of ours recently backed his 5'ver into a tree and did $3400 in damage. That would take about 50 years of savings at the $67/yr we currently pay for collision coverage on our Class A. If our coach was totaled by our own actions, it would take a few hundred years of savings to replace it.

Dutch

Many folks are unaware non-collision comprehensive is available and takes care of everything as long as I am not at fault.

No such thing as non-collision comprehensive insurance. Comprehensive coverage covers fire and theft. Collision covers property damage. Liability covers damage to another party as well as injury. And if you are not at fault,  it the liable party has no or littleinsurance, uninsured/underinsured will come your damages and injuries. And I don’t know of any insurance company that will sell UIM without having Collision and Comp on the policy. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

Fulltimer

31 minutes ago, Twotoes said:

Many folks are unaware non-collision comprehensive is available and takes care of everything as long as I am not at fault.

No such thing as non-collision comprehensive insurance. Comprehensive coverage covers fire and theft. Collision covers property damage. Liability covers damage to another party as well as injury. And if you are not at fault,  it the liable party has no or littleinsurance, uninsured/underinsured will come your damages and injuries. And I don’t know of any insurance company that will sell UIM without having Collision and Comp on the policy. 

Yep, here's the coverage on the 2002 RAV4 "spare" car that lives at our upstate NY cottage:

Note the "Auto Comprehensive..." listed just below the "Auto Collision..." listed as "Not purchased".

VVNkZFal.jpg

Dutch

You got me Dutch. After 20 years as a lawyer I have never seen a policy like this. However it is a NY policy and anything can happen in NY. LOL LOL LOL. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

Fulltimer

<grin> Different strokes for different folks, and their insurance companies too. I'm happy with my USAA quirks, been with them for 29 years since we were assigned to Germany in 1990 and found that they allowed enlisted to insure with them, but only overseas. They used to be officers only. They let us stay until they switched. Sorry guys, in this case they do write it separately. Some don't. But those also told me they could not under price USAA. They were right. 

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived