Do all of you have collision insurance on your RV'S?

Roadtrek 1

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Insurance is all about risk management and shifting the responsibility to someone else.    I agree it's better to have the collision insurance. 

3 hours ago, Kirk W said:

My travel trailer has never had collision insurance. 😄

If you don't have this be prepared to lose the asset if it's in an accident.   The other company ( if you are not at fault)may or may not give you what you want...? 

17 minutes ago, Roadtrek 1 said:

Insurance is all about risk management and shifting the responsibility to someone else.    I agree it's better to have the collision insurance. 

If you don't have this be prepared to lose the asset if it's in an accident.   The other company ( if you are not at fault)may or may not give you what you want...? 

Towables don't get collision. The coverage comes from the policy on the tow vehicle.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

19 hours ago, Roadtrek 1 said:

If you don't have this be prepared to lose the asset if it's in an accident. 

This shows what you don't know about insurance for towables. There is no such thing as collision insurance for any type of trailer. Collision insurance is only available for motorized vehicles.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

LOL  good one Kirk.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

1 hour ago, Kirk W said:

This shows what you don't know about insurance. There is no such thing as collision insurance for any type of trailer. Collision insurance is only available for motorized vehicles.

I'm currently looking at my State Farm Insurance Policy for my fifth wheel travel trailer.  It lists the annual premium in two parts.................

$100 Deductible Comprehensive-$504.60

$250 Deductible Collision-$225.00

Total premium of $729.60.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

26 minutes ago, Randyretired said:

Kirk is the one that doesn't know much about insurance.  I also have collision insurance on our 5er with a deductible. This covers our 5er in an at fault collision.

Are you sure? Maybe so but mine sure doesn't list collision anywhere. It addresses fire, theft, storm damage, vandalism, etc. It does address the event of an accident but not collision. My truck does have collision coverage. I've been wrong before so it wouldn't be a new experience but I sure can't find collision coverage on my travel trailer policy. Who is your policy with and how is the collision coverage stated? 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

6 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

Are you sure? Maybe so but mine sure doesn't list collision anywhere. It addresses fire, theft, storm damage, vandalism, etc. It does address the event of an accident but not collision. My truck does have collision coverage. I've been wrong before so it wouldn't be a new experience but I sure can't find collision coverage on my travel trailer policy. Who is your policy with and how is the collision coverage stated? 

I readily admit I don't know much about insurance.  However, it doesn't make sense that you could have full coverage insurance, including collision, on a $10,000 truck and it would also cover collision damage on a $100,000 trailer. 

I know that your tow vehicle liability insurance covers you while you're towing.  That's why you can't buy liability on the trailer for traffic related issues.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

12 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

Our policy is with National General Insurance and the coverage is listed as collision.  We have a deductible that is also listed.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

I just Googled trailer insurance and there is an explanation on the internet.  You can check it out.  It states the same as my post.  If you don't have collision you may want to check with your insurance agent to see if it is desired on your policy.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

There are usually two types of coverage. Comprehensive covers theft and fire. Collision covers  . . . well . . . collisions. A trailer is usually covered by the motor  vehicle policy that is towing it.  My fifth wheel was covered on my F-350 policy. Some insurance companies will write a separate policy for the trailer/5th wheel. A combo policy only covers the trailer while being towed, not parked in a campground or while in storage so it is sound to have a separate policy. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

7 hours ago, Twotoes said:

There are usually two types of coverage. Comprehensive covers theft and fire. Collision covers  . . . well . . . collisions. A trailer is usually covered by the motor  vehicle policy that is towing it.  My fifth wheel was covered on my F-350 policy. Some insurance companies will write a separate policy for the trailer/5th wheel. A combo policy only covers the trailer while being towed, not parked in a campground or while in storage so it is sound to have a separate policy. 

Why would you need collision insurance while you are parked in a campground or storage?

I almost hate to even post on this subject because we have no dog in the fight currently.  However, several years ago when we had a fiver we stored it up north for a winter.  Our insurance carrier at the time said we could drop collision and a couple other things while it sat there for 5 months.  Our policy was reduced about half for that time.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

Well, parked may be pretty safe. But if it lights off & does damage to other units,  you might be glad you had comp. Unless batts removed, a mouse chewing the wires could do that.

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

8 minutes ago, ARGO said:

Well, parked may be pretty safe. But if it lights off & does damage to other units,  you might be glad you had comp. Unless batts removed, a mouse chewing the wires could do that.

Comp has nothing to do with damaging other units.  Liability would cover that, if you have liability.

9 hours ago, Twotoes said:

You might want to check with your agent I have had several different companies and other than liability the tow vehicle policy has never covered the trailer. This is a very common and expensive misconception.  

There is a point at which a vehicle is worth so little that between the deductibles and the probable increase in premiums, if you file a claim, and the higher cost, that it is not worth having collision coverage. For me that's some where below 5k. A 1k repair could cost you $1500 in higher premiums over the next couple of years.

Archived