Wheel torque

bigredhdt

I don’t work on my own tires but I carry a 48” torque wrench that goes to 650 ft/lbs.  Part of my pre-season ritual is to check the torque on every wheel before our first trip then I repeat several times during the year.  As an anecdote I was with another member of this forum when he was getting a wheel worked on and as the tech removed his wheel cover on a steer tire (which also covered the lug nuts) two nuts fell off in his hand.  That was eye opening.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

53 minutes ago, jenandjon said:

Yea, We hammer em on with a Inch air impact until they stop turning.

That is how to stretch the studs.  That procedure works only if you have a torque monitoring extension.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Having been from the stud-piloted-wheel era, I always use nevr-sieze on bolts/lug nuts etc. Trying to get a wheel off with the old Budd wheels stud/nut combinations is not fun if they are seized. Apparently now that is a no-no, since it throws off the torque reading. My torque method is the #8AYS torque spec. Defined, that is a 3/4 ratchet with an 8' bar w/ All Your Strength. (That has been arrived at being the proper torque, because that's what it takes to get the lugs off when having been put on by a 1" air gun.)

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

16 minutes ago, ARGO said:

Having been from the stud-piloted-wheel era, I always use nevr-sieze on bolts/lug nuts etc. Trying to get a wheel off with the old Budd wheels stud/nut combinations is not fun if they are seized. Apparently now that is a no-no, since it throws off the torque reading. My torque method is the #8AYS torque spec. Defined, that is a 3/4 ratchet with an 8' bar w/ All Your Strength. (That has been arrived at being the proper torque, because that's what it takes to get the lugs off when having been put on by a 1" air gun.)

If you have Aluminum hub pilot wheels, steel hubs, and run in the salt at times, it is a good idea to use never seize on the hubs. I have had to get the port a power out to push wheels off before.

I guess I'm just old school, but I still put them on with a 1" impact.  Like I did when I was in the business and what every tire shop that I've seen do also.  
Our trucks would average 100,000 miles a year and cant recall ever having a issue with loose lug nuts.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

I also lent my torque multiplier to a friend to do a brake job on the front of his truck.  After reinstalling the lugs nuts with the multiplier he took the truck to a tire shop to make sure they were tight.  He said they couldn't tighten the nuts anymore then they were.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Old school rule of thumb, if using any lube (anti-seize) on the threads, decrease the torque value by 10%.  I use anti-seize on everything.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

15 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Old school rule of thumb, if using any lube (anti-seize) on the threads, decrease the toque value by 10%.  I use anti-seize on everything.

You know, I could have a lot of fun writing a response to that last line.😎

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

33 minutes ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

You know, I could have a lot of fun writing a response to that last line.😎

I would expect nothing less............😜

But, I gots to know......is the 10% thing pretty close, from an enjinearing point of view?  I read it many years ago in a technical article written by a fellow named Gordon Jennings.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

A torque multiplier is worthless, without a torque wrench. Just sayin'. Otherwise, both are assumed to be equally accurate, but the extension requires multiple items to cover the range of a torque wrench.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

2 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

A torque multiplier is worthless, without a torque wrench. Just sayin'. Otherwise, both are assumed to be equally accurate, but the extension requires multiple items to cover the range of a torque wrench.

I would think that the torque multiplier would amplify the error in the torque wrench and have an error itself.  Which leads to a much bigger error than a single piece of equipment. 

You folks have opened a very large can of worms.  Torquing a threaded assembly is just a poor man's way of stretching the fastener to it's specified clamping force. Works dandy 99.999% of the time. However, sometimes you need better accuracy and stretching, as mentioned above, is a much better process. 

Assuming that your torque wrench is properly calibrated with all the traceability documentation, that is as good as you're going to get until somebody is willing to spend a LOT of money and eventually, even that won't help any more. That leaves us with the torque multiplier. The difference is that the wrench is an "instrument" for precise measurements and the multiplier is a "tool" that does not make measurements, bur rather, aides in gathering those measurements.

At each step up in force multiplication, an additional amount of error is introduced into the function. However, that error tends to be linear and can be allowed for in the equation being solved.

Whoopee !!

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

OK Paul, we could get really technical and explain why a turn of the nut method is about 90% more exact than a torqued nut and a torque stick on an impact gun will vary depending on air pressure and volume as well as the fit of the stick to the gun and to the socket. We could then move into elastic deformation of the stud or plastic deformation in torque to yield fasteners.  That could get us into a lively debate over having the threads included or excluded from the shear plane.

I decided a long time ago to just torque them to spec dry without lube and forget it.

And eieio, the 10% is a rough approximation but can be off a LOT depending on the lube used. From the sound if it, you are an expert on lube so I will that up to you. 😎

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Also always use the 1" impact. Air pressure set at 140 lbs. Hammer then tight, and from 1984 to now. Never lost one, but guess I have been lucky. But then again every tire shop around still does that.

We always shot for 450-500 lbs of torque. And every time I would check them. Would be between those numbers.

event.png

14 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

From the sound if it, you are an expert on lube so I will that up to you. 😎

Been married to the same woman for near 45 years and ain't seized up yet.😁

When I first discovered anti-seize, I thought it was too much bother to dab it on every fastener.  After many years of wrenching on various equipment, I keep multiple flavors of it on hand.  A little dab will do ya.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Ok so just a thought, with some motor homes the tag axle has a single wheel.  For those that are not singled, what are the thoughts if removing a wheel from each side of the non drive axle?

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

Archived