Have you ever figured out what your true cost per mile is with everything included?

Roadtrek 1

1 minute ago, Roadtrek 1 said:

Linda,  I appreciate your comment, however, we traveled across the USA....it was definitely not a local trip. 

So you missed the part about using Valero in the southwest? From Minnesota to Arizona is not usually considered local.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, sandsys said:

So you missed the part about using Valero in the southwest? From Minnesota to Arizona is not usually considered local.

Linda

Sorry... yes I did miss that.....

I did try and fill up at Chevron and Shell along the way... whenever I could. 

There were some other stations like Phillips 66 that said they didn't use bio-diesel. 

Yes, I know about Valero.. they are their own oil refinery... good fuel. 

1 minute ago, Roadtrek 1 said:

Sorry... yes I did miss that.....

I did try and fill up at Chevron and Shell along the way... whenever I could. 

There were some other stations like Phillips 66 that said they didn't use bio-diesel. 

Yes, I know about Valero.. they are their own oil refinery... good fuel. 

I have also used Phillips 66.

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

18 minutes ago, sandsys said:

Nope. Never felt the need since I was careful not to exceed the 5% bio.

Linda

Great... I'll try and watch that if I ever decide to go on an extensive USA trip again..

We covered 24 states in 11,000 miles.

Do you know if Chevron and Shell are mostly safer than Flying J? 

I did like the truck stop and facilities at Flying J... maybe I need to rethink their fuel? The fact that it's a problem for the Mercedes and not for other diesel engines like Cummins does bother me. 

Finally, the lack of Sprinter dealer networks in outlying areas is a huge concern and the bio-diesel issue is one that Mercedes Benz has been not willing to address... there's a lot of vehicles like that on the road.  

Tell me again...what year is your Mercedes?  You have the same OM 642 engine with the 5 speed transmission?

When on a road trip we use pilot/FJ diesel for the convenience and locations of the truck stops  We usually fuel, take a break and lunch when ready. We have been using their fuel on this 08 F350  for over 100K miles with not a problem.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

1 hour ago, richfaa said:

When on a road trip we use pilot/FJ diesel for the convenience and locations of the truck stops  We usually fuel, take a break and lunch when ready. We have been using their fuel on this 08 F350  for over 100K miles with not a problem.

Rich, 

Linda is talking about the advice of Mercedes Benz to avoid or limit using bio-diesel over 5 percent in their engines. Problem is they put this out there after they have sold a lot of these vehicles🤔🤔

Of course Pilot/Flying J is great and you're right convenient. My RV Pilot charge card gives me a discount on every gallon...and the turnover of fuel, dump stations, propane, amenities... what's not to like? 

They say that the bio-diesel is between 5 and 20 percent...who knows exactly what that means?  Maybe it's closer to 5 percent than 20? 

I don't think Ford has any concerns about bio-diesel?   Question, is your diesel engine actually a Ford or a Navistar International engine?    The reason I ask is someone told me that a lot of Ford diesels were actually made by International for Ford?   Either way... you have nothing to worry about regarding bio-diesel as far as I know.  I don't think Cummins diesels have this concern either. 

I'm a little disappointed that I have to worry about this with the Mercedes Benz.

Aside from the bio-fuel question, we use PFJ stations for fuel using a Good Sam Swipe & Save Membership card that gives us a 5 cent/gal discount at the pump on gas (8 cents for diesel). The GS S&S card is not a charge card, so we pay at the pump with our PenFed Cash Rewards VISA card that gives us an additional 5 percent rebate on fuel each month. The area we're in right now for instance, the GS S&S card drops the PFJ price of gas down to about $2.40/gallon, and our PenFed card drops it an additional ~12 cents to ~$2.28, saving us ~17 cents a gallon in total.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

14 hours ago, Roadtrek 1 said:

Tell me again...what year is your Mercedes?  You have the same OM 642 engine with the 5 speed transmission?

It was a 2012. I don't speak engine or transmission. :)

Linda

37 minutes ago, sandsys said:

.....was a 2012. I don't speak engine or transmission

OK 😁😁😁, yes, it was the same engine ..V6 turbo diesel, with the 5 speed.... that's all they offered ....

SO, your Sportsmobile was a 2012 model probably on the 2011 Mercedes Benz Sprinter...... that's your current van or you sold it?   I think I recall correctly that you sold the van.? 

27 minutes ago, Roadtrek 1 said:

OK 😁😁😁, yes, it was the same engine ..V6 turbo diesel, with the 5 speed.... that's all they offered ....

SO, your Sportsmobile was a 2012 model probably on the 2011 Mercedes Benz Sprinter...... that's your current van or you sold it?   I think I recall correctly that you sold the van.? 

No, it was a 2012 van I custom ordered then had the interior built to my design. Yes, I've sold it; as I've told you several times. I'm starting to wonder if you ask all the questions because you never remember the answers.

Linda

26 minutes ago, sandsys said:

No, it was a 2012 van I custom ordered then had the interior built to my design. Yes, I've sold it; as I've told you several times. I'm starting to wonder if you ask all the questions because you never remember the answers.

Linda

Sorry Linda... my apologies..... 

17 hours ago, Roadtrek 1 said:

Any idea on the additive?

There is nothing to neutralize bio-diesel, it it the most efficient and  lowest cost additive used to replace lost lubricity during the refining process that removes sulfur. All diesel fuel today(US standard is <50ppm sulfr) contains 2%(B2) bio-diesel, and it is not required to so state on the pump by federal law.

If any station states they do not sell fuel containing bio-diesel, ask for the lubricity additive replacement name.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I'm kind of late to this  this thread about cost.   But <smile> that's never stopped me before.....

In standard accounting rules one can get the true cost per mile of a car/truck/rv without much problem.    There are standards that are well known.   There are standard depreciation table for just about any type of equipment.  What that means is you take the purchase price and divide by the useful life of the gear and that is your yearly cost.   At the end of x amount of years that gear is now worth $0 in accounting terms.  

I track the cost per mile just for entertainment and putting money aside for planning.   I have a 26' Lazy Daze Twin King.  It costs me about .76 cents a mile total.   The only cost I don't track is opportunity cost.   Opportunity cost is the return or cost of money that you used or should of used to buy something else the may appreciate in value.  IE if I used the money in the stok market instead of buying an RV.  

3 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

All diesel fuel today(US standard is <50ppm sulfr) contains 2%(B2) bio-diesel, and it is not required to so state on the pump by federal law.

My understanding is they don't need to label the pump if they are using less than 5% bio. More than that needs to be labeled. Flying J pumps say up to 20% so I never used them just in case this was one of their higher days. My Sprinter could handle 5% but no more. Valero's pumps did not have labels so I used them.

Linda

On 3/11/2019 at 10:44 PM, sandsys said:

My understanding is they don't need to label the pump if they are using less than 5% bio. More than that needs to be labeled. Flying J pumps say up to 20% so I never used them just in case this was one of their higher days. My Sprinter could handle 5% but no more. Valero's pumps did not have labels so I used them.

Linda

Ya, you''re right, B2 is the minimum amount blended in to replace lost lubricity; and there has not been anything cheaper or more efficient than bio-diesel discovered or invented to this day. https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76-speciality-forums/64-maintenance-fluids/177728-lubricity-additive-study-results.html

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived