Have you ever figured out what your true cost per mile is with everything included?

Roadtrek 1

At 1 time I had figured this out and on our HDT Volvo truck it was .48 cents a mile.  That included everything we could think of and a fuel cost of $3.00 a gallon.  We included an estimated life span of insurance, tires, brakes, oil changes, batteries, wiper blades etc and the replacement cost of each.  Thankfully the truck is paid.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/7/2019 at 9:35 PM, Roadtrek 1 said:

Have you ever figured out what your true cost per mile is with everything included?

Almost every topic you start on here is based on money and how RV'ing is not an economical venture. You are not looking for information for your own education for an RV'ing future of your own, each topic is almost phrased and directed as if you are trying to show people how much RV'ing costs and trying to educate them on their wasteful ways. 

My answer to your question is "NO". I never have tallied the cost of the way of life I have chosen and I have no need to. I can afford it. I know my RV will never appreciate in value and I personally don't give a damn. I used to say my ski boat was a large hole in the water that I threw money into. If full-timing is not for you, as you said previously, that if fine. I do it, I like it, I want to do it and that is all that really matters. If the costs are to much for you to justify, then don't do it but quit belittling people that do it. Quit trying to show people how they are throwing their money away. It is THEIRS. They can spend it anyway they want to and how they "waste" their money is really none of your business. What is the sense in having money if the only things you spend it on are "practical" and have a return value? What a sad existence that would be. I spent money on a movie the other day...no return value, strictly a waste of money...but it was fun and it was my money. Get over it. People here spend their money on things they enjoy. Some track their expenses and some don't. I have no issues with saving money but I also enjoy doing what I enjoy. You have made it very clear that my lifestyle isn't for you and you have explained your reasons. Great, I am happy for you...why can't you just be happy for the people that think differently than you do rather than trying to explain what they are doing wrong? 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

3 hours ago, rm.w/aview said:

As I read the thread title seeking the cost per mile, all included, it seems that someone in vacation mode on a whirlwind 4 month trip could have a high cost per mile, all included. Then the part time vs fulltime RVer costs per mile came to mind and I wondered if the costs of the sticks-n-bricks life should be added to the part time RVer's costs to be properly compared to the annual fulltime RVer's costs per mile, all included. I then wondered if a more proper comparison of sticks-n-bricks life vs fulltime RV life would be the cost per hour, all included, as a cost per mile would be difficult with a sticks-n-bricks abode, to reach an annual tally and more of an apples to apples comparison. And as I went for paper, pen, & calculator and began structuring comparison guidelines I wondered if I had enough coffee this morning

YES... that was my experience on the 3 months excursion.....we pay for both part time RVing and our regular house.... I'm sure that the two added together costs more. 

We didn't just stay in the Class B Sprinter...we also stayed in hotels, and dined out often....11,000 miles in three months is a lot of ground to cover...yes .. whirlwind, with some stops along the way.

11 minutes ago, Big5er said:

Almost every topic you start on here is based on money and how RV'ing is not an economical venture. You are not looking for information for your own education for an RV'ing future of your own, each topic is almost phrased and directed as if you are trying to show people how much RV'ing costs and trying to educate them on their wasteful ways

It is expensive....and for people reading this for the first time.... they might not know it.

YES, and I figured it at least $1 or more per mile....it's just 25 to 35 cents per mile for diesel fuel... plus all the maintenance....

Look, I'm not saying it's a waste of money....I own one..... But, what I am saying is that go into this with "eyes wide open".... and compared to a house that becomes an asset with a future appreciated value, the RV will be practically worthless in 20 or 25 years...  If you can live with that.... great.   Actually...I could certainly do that no problem......As I said before... I have three houses all appreciating in value over time, so having one really expensive depreciating asset is not too bad.    The thing that gets me is the money I have in the RV is what I paid for my first house!  I'm glad I got the houses first before the RV......at least I have a lot of equity in the real estate...

There's no equity in an RV... especially if you financed it....

I'm sure that many people have a dream about taking road trips or living in their RV'S.... RV'S have more drama than just driving your car.    And, they require more care and maintenance.... they just do.   

I actually love my experiences with the RV.... mostly. 

And, for now, I'm keeping it.... but, when its time to sell... I won't be replacing it.

Keep enjoying your rig and safe travels. 

1 hour ago, Roadtrek 1 said:

Look, I'm not saying it's a waste of money....I own one..... But, what I am saying is that go into this with "eyes wide open".... and compared to a house that becomes an asset with a future appreciated value, the RV will be practically worthless in 20 or 25 years...  If you can live with that.... great.   

I would think very few buy a RV with the intention of keeping it 20-25 years.  Also, very few compare a RV to a stick house - cost-wise.  It's a 'recreational vehicle'.  That's why folks buy RVs.

I can't believe you even own a RV thinking of $$$ constantly.  Do you really enjoy it?  Do you get into it and the thoughts of  'cost' escapes you during the trip? 

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

10 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

I can't believe you even own a RV thinking of $$$ constantly.  Do you really enjoy it?  Do you get into it and the thoughts of  'cost' escapes you during the trip?

A budget is a tool... everyone thinks about the costs... I'm just willing to be up front about it. 

YES....we enjoy the RV... that's why we had already put 15,000 miles on the rig in less than 2 years.     I'll probably keep it for at least another 3 years. .. when it's 12 years old.... I'm definitely getting rid of it.  

I talked with someone about diesel miles...as you know NADA doesn't count them.... what they told me is while diesel miles are not added they're not deducted either.... however, there's a perception that anything over 100,00 is a problem....I don't agree with that, and think it's a wrong perception... but... people will believe whatever they want. 

In the meantime... just traveling... whenever we can part time. No full timing for us. 

People who own gassers worry about 100K, diesel owners don’t.

Anytime I see someone go on and on and on about horrible fulltiming, RVing, etc is, I can’t help but see traces of a green-eyed ....

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

6 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

Anytime I see someone go on and on and on about horrible fulltiming, RVing, etc is, I can’t help but see traces of a green-eyed ....

Very true... If I was worried about a 100k mile rig, I'd be out of luck with 560k on ours now....   

What I've learned that Roadtrek1 has figured out, is that everyone operates on their own budget and income.  I've met folks with 2-300k a year budgets that feel like they can't make it work, and then the folks on 1600 a month that have a blast.  

There is no right or wrong way to Fulltime RV, or part time.... Its all about your perspective...... and YOUR perspective is NOT mine...

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Most people have a hobby. It appears that calculating finances is Roadtrek 1's hobby. He says he's trying to educate newbies but, if that was the case, why doesn't he just share his own experiences; that's what the rest of us do. The person who suggested he might be gathering data to write a book feels like he might be right to me. If so, I sure hope he's not planning to do it without getting permission from all of us who have responded to him.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

3 hours ago, Roadtrek 1 said:

It is expensive....and for people reading this for the first time.... they might not know it.

It seems that you feel like you know something that a lot of people do not. You have started thread after thread regarding how costly RV'ing is, and seem to think that folks who have lived in their RV's for years and have far more experience with them than you do need to be educated regarding this fact. 

I frankly think that you're on the wrong forum here. Perhaps starting a Facebook group or a YouTube channel with a title like "The REAL cost of RV'ing" would be more satisfying to you?? 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

7 minutes ago, mptjelgin said:

I frankly think that you're on the wrong forum here. Perhaps starting a Facebook group or a YouTube channel with a title like "The REAL cost of RV'ing" would be more satisfying to you?? 

AMEN!!

2014 smart Fortwo

1 hour ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

If I was worried about a 100k mile rig, I'd be out of luck with 560k on ours now....   

You've got me beat Jim. I'm at 537k on my truck. 

2014 smart Fortwo

23 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Very true... If I was worried about a 100k mile rig, I'd be out of luck with 560k on ours now....  

22 hours ago, Big5er said:

You've got me beat Jim. I'm at 537k on my truck. 

You guys are both way down on the mileage scale.  I’m pushing nearly 900,000 miles on my rig. ;)

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

On 3/9/2019 at 1:02 PM, Barbaraok said:

While gasoline engines don't last as long as diesels, it has been a long time since a typical gasoline engine was worn out at 100k miles. There are many of them around with well over 150k and 200 isn't rare anymore. And while there is no doubt that the average for diesel is well above the gas engine life span, you would be a lot more credible if you were just a little less prejudiced. I have known people who had to replace a diesel for a blown engine at about 160k(Boogity on these forums) and he paid out about $15k to get it done, more than double what a gas engine costs. 

If we had not gone with a gas chassis we could not have afforded to go fulltime in a motorhome. There are many others like us. We may have smaller budgets than you but we go the same places and see the same things that you diesel owners do. The sunset, or mountain scene looks exactly the same to the folks in the converted school bus as it does to those in the diesel pusher. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

10 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

While gasoline engines don't last as long as diesels, it has been a long time since a typical gasoline engine was worn out at 100k miles. There are many of them around with well over 150k and 200 isn't rare anymore.

Absolutely true. The "gassers last 100,000 miles" mantra expired about 30 years ago. My two Ford Superduty Trucks with V-10 engines each were past 150,000 miles (with extensive heavy towing) when sold, and the engines were at 100% with zero issues. And I know of many folks north of 250,000 on that same motor. Our "other vehicle" is a 13 year old Ford Escape with better than 175,000 on the odometer and again, zero issues. 

Time to re-think the mileage limit on modern gasoline engines!!

Mark & Teri

Mark & Teri's Travels

10 minutes ago, mptjelgin said:

Absolutely true. The "gassers last 100,000 miles" mantra expired about 30 years ago. My two Ford Superduty Trucks with V-10 engines each were past 150,000 miles (with extensive heavy towing) when sold, and the engines were at 100% with zero issues. And I know of many folks north of 250,000 on that same motor. Our "other vehicle" is a 13 year old Ford Escape with better than 175,000 on the odometer and again, zero issues. 

Time to re-think the mileage limit on modern gasoline engines!!

Oh yeah, even the 1976 Toyota HiLux pickup I bought new went almost 210,000 miles before the body and frame gave out. The engine kept going though, and after an overhaul and conversion is still in service powering an Amish saw mill on propane.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

22 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Oh yeah, even the 1976 Toyota HiLux pickup I bought new went almost 210,000 miles before the body and frame gave out. 

I think that Toyota and other foreign manufacturers were the main reason that US automakers got so much more serious about quality. And it has made a huge difference in expectations for gas motors. 

Mark & Teri

Mark & Teri's Travels

1 hour ago, Kirk W said:

I have known people who had to replace a diesel for a blown engine at about 160k(Boogity on these forums) and he paid out about $15k to get it done, more than double what a gas engine costs

$15,000 is what a dealer would charge for whole new engine? 

I think it could be rebuilt with necessary parts for less? 

I don't know how this person "blew up" a diesel engine at 160,000 miles unless they were not keeping the proper oil levels.... likewise for a neglected overheated engine.....these are two of most important things you can always check in your vehicle.

The people I knew who had a Mercedes Benz 3 Litre V6 turbo diesel like mine (OM642).... easily went 500,000 miles ( 800,000 kilometers).. and it was still running.   I'm not sure I have the energy to go 500,000 miles 😀😀😀.

That's a lot of miles....it took me 19 years to put about 150,000 miles on my car.  I understand that most RV's get about 5,000 miles per year... that would be 20 years to drive 100,000 miles...  

I'm confident that the Sprinter 3500 can do 150,000 miles easily....now..the emissions system and the coach is a different story. 

I'll worry about this later....

33 minutes ago, mptjelgin said:

I think that Toyota and other foreign manufacturers were the main reason that US automakers got so much more serious about quality. And it has made a huge difference in expectations for gas motors. 

I absolutely agree 💯 percent. 

Another thing is cars and vehicles last a very long time now.  And you can thank automation;  robotics has taken the human element out. 

Robots do it exactly every time....they don't get tired, go on vacation or have deviations . 

Gasoline engines have been perfected over time as well with newer natural aspiration and more power from a smaller engine.   Mostly all the old pushrod engines are replaced with single and dual overhead cams and variable valve timing.

And now smaller turbocharged engines with smaller displacement. 

Cost per mile__ I never think about it. I'm consistently amazed at the folks who search for fuel that is as much as 15 cents a gallon cheaper than Pilot/Flying J. Convenience is worth more than that to me. I'm not made of money, just saved enough to enjoy retirement as we choose.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

1 hour ago, Ray,IN said:

Cost per mile__ I never think about it. I'm consistently amazed at the folks who search for fuel that is as much as 15 cents a gallon cheaper than Pilot/Flying J. Convenience is worth more than that to me. I'm not made of money, just saved enough to enjoy retirement as we choose.

When you're on the road and need fuel Pilot/Flying J is a convenient truck stop, has huge turnover so no stale fuel sitting around in tanks and consistently good quality. Besides, we once had to stop for unexpected reason and parked in the lot for the night at no charge...not the best sleeping arrangements... but, better than being on the road in the middle of the night. 

I have a Pilot charge card so I can refuel and just get billed at the end of the month with a discount on every gallon.   That's quick and easy.   They have convenient showers and nice facilities.

18 MPG at $3.45  for diesel is around 19 cents per mile for fuel... but, you have to figure other costs like maintenance, repairs, insurance and depreciation.  Depreciation and insurancei is a constant; happens regardless of miles driven.  Actually, the more miles you drive the lower the overall cost per mile goes down. 

8 minutes ago, Roadtrek 1 said:

When you're on the road and need fuel Pilot/Flying J is a convenient truck stop, has huge turnover so no stale fuel sitting around in tanks and consistently good quality.

I'm surprised to read that from you. When Flying J went to using up to 20% biodiesel I stopped using them because my Sprinter's manual said no more than 5% bio. Locally I used Holiday stations and in the SW I used Valero. I still tried to stop at ones close to freeways for the fuel turnover.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

1 minute ago, sandsys said:

I'm surprised to read that from you. When Flying J went to using up to 20% biodiesel I stopped using them because my Sprinter's manual said no more than 5% bio. Locally I used Holiday stations and in the SW I used Valero. I still tried to stop at ones close to freeways for the fuel turnover.

Linda

Linda,  I appreciate your comment, however, we traveled across the USA....it was definitely not a local trip.  Around here we typically fill up at Costco and whenever I can find Costco on the road we do. 

The key phrase is "up to 20 percent"... I'm not planning on taking another USA trip.. our Sprinter was using an excessive amount of DEF "before we left on the trip" and when we returned we had to get a new emissions system and get a new software update..

Do you know of any diesel additive to counteract the bio-diesel?  You can't control every situation...

Archived