Have you ever figured out what your true cost per mile is with everything included?

Roadtrek 1

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would I care? Knowing won't change our enjoyment of our lifestyle. And of course the "true cost per mile" can't be calculated until the RV is sold anyway.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

9 hours ago, Roadtrek 1 said:

SO, what do you think is the mileage rate on your RV?

It would just depend on what the parameters are. In the real world, you would have to include the cost to purchase the RV and you don't know that until you sell the RV. If someone buys an RV and then lives in it sitting in one spot until it falls apart, that cost per mile would be phenomenal!  Your obsession with costs goes way beyond what most people here actually care about. I'd bet that you can't give me accurate figures on cost per day of your stick house or a true cost per mile of the car that you drive. There are far too many variables 

It would just depend on what the parameters are. In the real world, you would have to include the cost to purchase the RV and you don't know that until you sell the RV. If someone buys an RV and then lives in it sitting in one spot until it falls apart, that cost per mile would be phenomenal!  Your obsession with costs goes way beyond what most people here actually care about. I'd bet that you can't give me accurate figures on cost per day of your stick house or a true cost per mile of the car that you drive. There are far too many variables when RVing, and especially so for fulltime RVing to ever get any kind of cost per mile that would make sense because many of the expenses happen whether driving it or sitting parked and living it in. 

Gaylord Maxwell, former RV magazine columnist said it the best. "How much does RV living cost? It will cost whatever you have to spend."

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Kirk, nice write up.  When are you going to figure out he only starts these types of threads so he can come back and explain how cheap his unit is to operate per mile.

Who cares how much the mileage rate is on your RV, or how much it is all costing you as long as you can afford it and you are doing what you want to do?

We spent yesterday with another couple exploring the mangroves off Matlacha (Pine Island) in our Kayaks.  Stopped and had some baked lobster mac/cheese.  Hauled the yaks back to the CG, washed the salt off, and had some cocktails with friends.  What is that day worth?

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

11 minutes ago, FL-JOE said:

Who cares how much the mileage rate is on your RV, or how much it is all costing you as long as you can afford it and you are doing what you want to do?

Tracking expenses can be the occupation of some. Others get into living off the grid and conserving, some enjoy accomplishments of volunteering, some RV to explore and experience the country, while some do a mix of more than one lifestyle. If numbers are the chief interest of someone, that doesn't bother me as long as they accept that not everyone cares. ☺️

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

It is what it is, it's the price we pay to be warm in the winter and cool in the summer and spending time with our RV friends. 😁

Denny 

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

Lets turn this around what is your cost per day of living in your sticks and bricks? I think you might find it is more than the RV.

2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.

Never have. If we looked at things like that or how much we spend eating out or how much we spend on camp ground fees, electric, propane, water we might get a headache.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

1 minute ago, hamrs_62 said:

living in my house costs me about 29,000 a year, everything included,

Wow. We have never  figured that out but it will be  way, way, less than that. There will be years that will be higher like the last  two years when we replaced all the windows but still does not approach 29K a year.

Property taxes, Homeowners Ins,Utilities. We have no Mortgage but even when we did it did not approach that number

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Don't know, don't care.  If I had to worry/care what it costs, I'd have to change what I'm doing and hide in a cave.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

1 hour ago, FL-JOE said:

What is that day worth?

Priceless!

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

I'm with the others on this thread. Don't know, don't care. We are living well within our means and enjoying life, so we're good.

Spending time calculating cost-per mile, or cost-per-day isn't my idea of enjoyment, nor is it going to impact what we are doing. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Still have money left at the end of the month, so we're doing something right. Don't worry about the cost per mile, or the cost per day, but we do watch our pennies.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I was trying to show how absurd the original poster was! As most people have figured out the cost doesn't matter! If you can afford it and enjoy it then just do it. If you are fixated on the costs you really don't need to own an RV as you will never enjoy what most people have found and that is the freedom from all the chaff.

Just my 2 cents worth yours may vary

2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.

To us it isn't "cost per mile".  Sometimes we may zip up a few miles to enjoy the cool weather.   Other times we may travel much further.  This year we may spend a lot of time at our mountain property and drive the RV very little.  Cost per day enjoying ourselves might be something for someone to figure out but I have other things to do.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

7 hours ago, accumack said:

I was trying to show how absurd the original poster was! As most people have figured out the cost doesn't matter! If you can afford it and enjoy it then just do it. If you are fixated on the costs you really don't need to own an RV as you will never enjoy what most people have found and that is the freedom from all the chaff.

Just my 2 cents worth yours may vary

X2 plus what randyretired said sums it up great!!!!!

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

I have not seen this in a number of years but the auto rental companies used to calculate the real total cost per mile for some autos. I remember being shocked that they stated it was well over 50 cents per mile for a compact auto many years ago. We do seem to keep our autos longer and put more miles on them then we did years ago. They do cost a lot more now.

Archived