Diesel Pump Nozzles

Friz

I have not been on the road pulling a 5th wheel with a diesel pick up truck in 13 years. Although I have always had a diesel pickup I go to the car pumps to buy diesel.
The last time I camped the semi-truck pumps at truck stops had larger diameter nozzles which were too large for my pickup truck. Obviously I had to chose fuel stations wisely. I would have paid the extra money to fill up at a truck stop for the convenience of using the semi truck pumps. I have a 2004 F250 diesel. Are pickup trucks now able to use the larger nozzles? 

Thanks, Friz

My 2019 F-350 is rated to take a 30mm (1.2 inch) nozzle, and fill at up to 20 gallons per minute. I've used a truck pump once. It had an obviously larger nozzle and it filled quickly.  What I don't know is if there are even larger nozzles out there. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Most major truck stops have an RV lane for filling pickups with a regular size nozzle.  It's usually located at the front or next to the truck lanes but separate from the usual car lanes.  I'm speaking of Love's, Pilot's/Flying JIkEzjn2l.jpg etc.

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Even if there's not a specific RV lane, we found that *most* truck stop diesel lanes have one pump with a smaller nozzle, usually on an outside lane.  If in doubt, go inside before pulling up to a pump and ask.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

6 hours ago, LindaH said:

Even if there's not a specific RV lane, we found that *most* truck stop diesel lanes have one pump with a smaller nozzle, usually on an outside lane.  If in doubt, go inside before pulling up to a pump and ask.

X2. I quickly learned that in my Sprinter van.

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

No problem But don’t set the handle they are high pressure high capacity pumps. 

The back wash from the fuel fill neck will get you covered in diesel. 

Remember truck stop etiquette, usually your cc won’t work at the pump. Walk in tell the cashier you lane # and that it’s a private truck most will ask how much. I usually tell them $100 they will swipe the card, go fuel. 

Pull forward to the line making sure a semi can pull in and fuel. Return to the cashier and get a credit/ receipt 

Nows the time for a quick restroom break but if you plan to be a while park it and go in. 

Enjoy your travels ! 

9 hours ago, Friz said:

I have a 2004 F250 diesel.

My 2003 Dodge 2500 does not accept the large truck lane nozzles. But I find life much less complicated with my little travel trailer if we just use the RV lane when available and the car island with diesel if it isn't.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

My limiting factor for my dually was the vent hose size; liquid in- air out, to slowly. My MH has a 90°  bend 4" from the inlet, foaming is the problem there.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Our 08 F-350 has the large fill we knew that.We normally use pilot  /FJ. We normally use the RV lanes. We will use the truck lanes if necessary. We have never had a problem of any kind.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

We rarely use the big truck stops as they are usually along the Interstates.  We have used smaller ones along US routes and never had a problem filling our 2016 RAM 2500 at any pump.  Much more room to maneuver at the truck pumps when we have the RV hooked up.  One of us is usually pumping the fuel while the other one does the windshield and walks the fuzzy kids.  As previously stated pull up out of the way when done pumping to allow the next in line to move up, even if there is no one behind you.

On 3/7/2019 at 11:43 AM, Second Chance said:

Friz,

What make and year is your truck? Both my 2012 Ford and previous 2013 GMC can/could handle the larger truck nozzles without a problem.

Rob

2004 F250. A response on another forum said that Fords after 2003 can take the larger nozzle. Will see if it is true next time I fuel up. 

4 hours ago, Don_T said:

We have a Pilot/Flying J CC so we drive up to the truck pumps and fill up with the card and get out of the way. We have had no issues doing this.

The only problem I have heard of with this is when a motorhome manufacturer put the DEF tank on the wrong side so the owner had to drive up the wrong way to fill the DEF tank. Fortunately the truck driver approaching that island was kind.

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• 2 months later...