Talking myself out of this...

Alice

Not forever, I still want to full-time after we retire at least for a while, but I'm getting cold feet about the new TT we found.  It's a great TT.  Tons of storage, ticks all our "must haves", good price - which actually might even be lower than I originally got quoted.  Bank approved a loan at under 6%.  We DO need to get a TT and "get our feet wet" and learn the ins and outs of black tanks and living small and hauling even a little trailer.  We get it now, we'll have it almost paid off in 5 years when we retire.  It won't be our "forever" RV, but it will be fun for weekends and such.   

And then I start thinking of how much money it is.  Now, realistically, it isn't a bad price.  Even with a 6 year note, and paying for insurance and storage (because there's no room at our house and keeping it on our hunting property it would probably wind up heavily infested with rodents and bugs) we're talking about $300/mo.  But - here's the big BUT - I'm a very frugal (cheap) person by nature.  Not in practice, mind you...we have little in savings because we fritter it away - but the bills are always paid on time and the thought of a big debt makes me a little :wacko:...I don't like debt.  I don't like spending money on things that are unnecessary.  Heck, I've been known to mend underwear! 

I keep thinking of all the things we could and probably should spend $300/mo on.  We have SO MANY projects that we should spend money and time on, instead of $300 a month and however weekends we go camping. 

When you got your first ever TT - how did you all know it was time?  Did you have travel plans or extra money just laying around?  :rolleyes:  Was it just spur of the moment?  Did anyone else worry they might be spending money foolishly when they needed to spend it on other things...there are always other things after all.  I'm making myself absolutely crazy...and probably my husband too.  :(

Alice...

Weekender with a F-150 and Rockwood 2503S - until this happens:

event.png

Don’t worry. When you are ready to retire and buy an RV you will quickly learn the ins and outs of using it. There are plenty of folks here who will help you learn.  But if you do not buy one now you will loose out on the enjoyment of weekend trips and vacations for the next 6 years. It is good to be frugal and have no bills, I too pay off my credit cards in full every month, but look at the quality of life and the fun of RVing part time now. You must be comfortable with your financial status so don’t buy now if you won’t be able to sleep at night or buy now and sleep in a campground a couple of times a month. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

What are you going to pull this TT with?  When you retire in 5 years and want to upgrade to a bigger camper, are you going to have to also buy another vehicle?  Then you'll have 2 big payments a month.  We ran close to the same thought as you, what we did was buy a fairly new truck, bigger than what we needed but big enough when we buy a newer/bigger 5th wheel in a couple years.  Then we bought an older but great shape camper.  I put some sweat equation into it and now it works great.  Actually, I have it set up much nicer now than a lot of newer campers, we own it, not the bank.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

41 minutes ago, NDBirdman said:

What are you going to pull this TT with?  When you retire in 5 years and want to upgrade to a bigger camper, are you going to have to also buy another vehicle?  Then you'll have 2 big payments a month.  We ran close to the same thought as you, what we did was buy a fairly new truck, bigger than what we needed but big enough when we buy a newer/bigger 5th wheel in a couple years.  Then we bought an older but great shape camper.  I put some sweat equation into it and now it works great.  Actually, I have it set up much nicer now than a lot of newer campers, we own it, not the bank.

Actually, we won't have any payments.  We are eligible to retire this year.  But we're working another 5 years to get the "backdrop" as my state calls it...a lump sum-distribution.  Between the two of us, plenty of money to pay for a new(ish) truck and 5th wheel, pay off any still unpaid credit cards/loans, and finish a few projects we need done to our cabin...which will become "home base"...and still have a bit in the bank. Not a lot, but enough, given that we will have a life-time annuity from our retirement + Social Security when that time comes.  Our house note will be taken care of by selling it.  My only large worry is a student loan we may be still stuck with until we die.

As for pulling the TT now, we have a Chevy Colorado that we're upside down on.  It has a tow package and will handle a small TT.  Since we're upside down on it, we planned on keeping it for a few more years before we upgrade to a much bigger truck and keeping the TT until full retirement and we trade it in on the 5th wheel. 

Edited by Alice

Alice...

event.png

44 minutes ago, Twotoes said:

Don’t worry. When you are ready to retire and buy an RV you will quickly learn the ins and outs of using it. There are plenty of folks here who will help you learn.  But if you do not buy one now you will loose out on the enjoyment of weekend trips and vacations for the next 6 years. It is good to be frugal and have no bills, I too pay off my credit cards in full every month, but look at the quality of life and the fun of RVing part time now. You must be comfortable with your financial status so don’t buy now if you won’t be able to sleep at night or buy now and sleep in a campground a couple of times a month. 

Thank you.

But I really quoted you to get your attention...you need to make another post now!  Look at your post count.  :lol: 

Edit:  Looks like you were busy!  Up to 668!  :D

Edited by Alice

Alice...

event.png

2 hours ago, Alice said:

When you got your first ever TT - how did you all know it was time?  Did you have travel plans or extra money just laying around?  :rolleyes:  Was it just spur of the moment?  Did anyone else worry they might be spending money foolishly when they needed to spend it on other things...there are always other things after all.  I'm making myself absolutely crazy...and probably my husband too.  :(

Sounds like you have a firm grip on things, cool.  To answer the above, we have camped off and on most our lives.  We knew it would be time to spend time traveling when we retired, I did 9.5 yrs ago, my wife this fall.  This really is not something we spent our lives planning, we just knew when the time come, we would do it, having money laying around had nothing to do with it.  Definitely not spur of the moment as we have wanted to do this for 40 yrs, that is, spend time seeing things and areas we missed in life thus far.  The way it worked out, we saw a lot of the world, now it's time to see the US.  As far as crazy, there's a little bit of crazy in all of us, if there wasn't, it would be a boring world.  I would not worry about it, but yea, keep driving him crazy, keeps him on his toes.... LOL

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

1 hour ago, Alice said:

Actually, we won't have any payments.  We are eligible to retire this year.  But we're working another 5 years to get the "backdrop" as my state calls it...a lump sum-distribution.  Between the two of us, plenty of money to pay for a new(ish) truck and 5th wheel, pay off any still unpaid credit cards/loans, and finish a few projects we need done to our cabin...which will become "home base"...and still have a bit in the bank. Not a lot, but enough, given that we will have a life-time annuity from our retirement + Social Security when that time comes.  Our house note will be taken care of by selling it.  My only large worry is a student loan we may be still stuck with until we die.

As for pulling the TT now, we have a Chevy Colorado that we're upside down on.  It has a tow package and will handle a small TT.  Since we're upside down on it, we planned on keeping it for a few more years before we upgrade to a much bigger truck and keeping the TT until full retirement and we trade it in on the 5th wheel. 

It sounds to me like you have everything in place to buy that TT now and have some fun over the next 5 years. What if you wait 5 years then have some illness/injury that keeps you from being able to go then which would you regret most?

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

13 minutes ago, sandsys said:

It sounds to me like you have everything in place to buy that TT now and have some fun over the next 5 years. What if you wait 5 years then have some illness/injury that keeps you from being able to go then which would you regret most?

Linda

This forum really needs a like button!  Well put.

2 hours ago, Alice said:

When you got your first ever TT - how did you all know it was time?  Did you have travel plans or extra money just laying around?  :rolleyes:  Was it just spur of the moment?  Did anyone else worry they might be spending money foolishly when they needed to spend it on other things...there are always other things after all.  I'm making myself absolutely crazy...and probably my husband too.  

Unlike yourself, we began RV travels far before retirement. In our early years we went family camping with a small tent, then a bigger tent with a lot more equipment. Next, we bought a very used, very small popup for a total price of $250 from friends. The family really liked it so after 2 seasons we bought a new Starcraft popup that had two outboard beds, a furnace & stove, and even a small water tank! After 9 years we bought a used travel trailer. A few years later we got a 3-year-old class A of 25' and then 9 more years and we got our 36' class A that we lived in for 12 years. We have now downsized to a 20' travel trailer. None of the RVs were bought spur of the moment. It is more difficult to make the decision as you are. How do you know that you will enjoy RV travel? I believe that someone with the doubts that you have would be much wiser to buy a smaller, older RV that you can get for less money and use for a year or two just to make sure. The fact that you have doubts means that you could be making a major mistake. It may seem that everyone else loves RV life but that is only because you are visiting a website for those of us who do. Believe me that I have seen many people visit these forums to address our lifestyle who are only around for a short period because it just didn't work for them. You need to be sure. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

36 minutes ago, sandsys said:

There is that.  The fact that it's pretty much exactly what we want, at a good price, is the biggest "pro".  What if we wait and can't find anything we like next year as much as this.  What if something happens and we can't use it?  Not like there's a good resale. 

20 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

In our early years we went family camping with a small tent, then a bigger tent with a lot more equipment.

Our son hated the outdoors.  He didn't do sports.  He didn't like camping.  He liked our medieval reenactment events only because there was stuff to buy and he was pretty good at archery.  But he hated fishing, he couldn't care less about nature, hiking, sunshine, etc.  And now he lives in beautiful Colorado and still doesn't do any of that stuff. So sad.

22 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

I believe that someone with the doubts that you have would be much wiser to buy a smaller, older RV that you can get for less money and use for a year or two just to make sure. The fact that you have doubts means that you could be making a major mistake. It may seem that everyone else loves RV life but that is only because you are visiting a website for those of us who do. Believe me that I have seen many people visit these forums to address our lifestyle who are only around for a short period because it just didn't work for them.

I don't have doubts about the travel, or even really the RV full-time in a few years, though I might make my husband insane as I'm a nervous passenger in a car, much less a truck hauling a large trailer. 

We've been looking for a while now and haven't found anything smaller or older that we think is "livable"...but that doesn't mean they aren't out there.  Well, there is one that is cheaper we found, but it has a "spongy floor" and I know that means water damage and we're not going there!  We're not that handy! 

It's really doing it NOW - when we have other things to spend the money on.  I've considered saving a year or two and we'd have enough to pay cash.  But then if we spend it on the projects, we aren't saving it and that's the same issue.  :(  I'm not good at this.

Alice...

event.png

9 minutes ago, Alice said:

I've considered saving a year or two and we'd have enough to pay cash.  But then if we spend it on the projects, we aren't saving it and that's the same issue. 

It is all about money management and priorities. Good luck!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

6 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

It is all about money management and priorities. Good luck!

Yeah...Husband and I have already decided we have to sit down and have a serious discussion about this - in the next 3 days!  We're supposed to go buy this thing on Saturday - assuming they still have one.

Sorry for all the whining folks!  I'm really not good at letting go of money.  That is such an understatement.  It took me like 7 years to let myself buy a Kitchenaid mixer that I'd wanted for even longer than that and then I stressed over it - and it was under $400! :blink:

I appreciate the input. 

Alice...

event.png

If I didn't have a place to park my 5th wheel I would think hard about even having one. I have a small ranch in SE Texas where I had a gravel driveway installed and I ran the 50 AMP service for the fiver. Total cost was low but if I had to pay a monthly fee just to park it I would consider it wasted money.

I suggest you focus on the tow vehicle first. A Colorado is low on the scale for towing capacity IMO;   if you tow at its maximum capacity it will be stressful for both of you and harder on the vehicle, which means you may expect parts to wear out or break sooner. This travel trailer towing calculator will accurately and safely match your Colorado to what it will safely tow. It even offers the option of selecting a 20% safety factor, to which many full-timers subscribe. Do not accept the word of a salesman on towing capacity or ratings, do your own homework; after all it''s YOUR money being discussed.

You may discover your Colorado is inadequate to tow any trailer that satisfies you both. This of course would mean you need to change priorities from trailer to truck.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

So you worry more about money than you do whether or not you are enjoying your life? Do you enjoy worrying? You must get something out of it or you wouldn't do so much of it.

Linda, another worrier who is trying to quit.

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

9 hours ago, sandsys said:

So you worry more about money than you do whether or not you are enjoying your life? Do you enjoy worrying? You must get something out of it or you wouldn't do so much of it.

Cisco Kid: Our worries are over, Pancho.

Pancho: That’s what I worry about, Cisco.

Cisco: Why

Pancho: If my worries are over, I won’t have anything to worry about.

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2011 Ford F350 CC SRW

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."       Will Rogers        

10 hours ago, sandsys said:

1 hour ago, dzwiss said:

Pancho: If my worries are over, I won’t have anything to worry about.

Yeah.  I'm a Pancho.

It's not just money.  I am a worrier as a general rule.  I guess the other worry is:  Will we use this enough at this point in time, to be worth the money.  I think we need to do a cost/benefit analysis.  Objectively, I know the TT is a good price.  With the options on it, it's below "Low Retail" on the NADA site.  For some reason, I'm calmer about the whole thing today. 

12 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

I suggest you focus on the tow vehicle first. A Colorado is low on the scale for towing capacity IMO;   if you tow at its maximum capacity it will be stressful for both of you and harder on the vehicle, which means you may expect parts to wear out or break sooner. This travel trailer towing calculator will accurately and safely match your Colorado to what it will safely tow. It even offers the option of selecting a 20% safety factor, to which many full-timers subscribe. Do not accept the word of a salesman on towing capacity or ratings, do your own homework; after all it''s YOUR money being discussed.

You may discover your Colorado is inadequate to tow any trailer that satisfies you both. This of course would mean you need to change priorities from trailer to truck.

I'm going to double check with the calculator you've linked, but we're pretty sure the Colorado can handle this particular trailer.  We have a tow package, etc.  Short of being a diesel, our truck is as good as a Colorado gets for towing.  We can't trade it in yet, so yeah...that would change everything. 

Thanks again folks.

Alice...

event.png

7 minutes ago, Alice said:

Yeah.  I'm a Pancho.

It's not just money.  I am a worrier as a general rule.

3 hours ago, NDBirdman said:

Dude!  That is SO not Bob Marley!  That's Bobby McFerrin!  I know my reggae!  My son says the only people he knows who listens to it are stoners and his mom.  LOL! 

Edited by Alice

Alice...

event.png

13 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

This travel trailer towing calculator will accurately and safely match your Colorado to what it will safely tow.

Thanks again for that link.  Dry weight is well within the max trailer weight even with the 20% margin.  This TT has a cargo capacity almost equal to its dry weight, be we are never going to put 3,300 lbs of stuff in it...this is a weekender.  Maybe a week at most.  We've got 1,400 lbs before we hit the max with the 20% margin.  We're talking a few pots and pans and paper plates, food, bedding, a change of clothes and fishing poles.  I think we're good. 

Of course, we'd get a weight distributing hitch.  Not from the dealer though.  The only one they sell is $800.  I'm sure it's awesome...but geeze! 

Anyone care to chime in with a recommendation for a good hitch for a small trailer - it won't be exceeding 5,000 lbs I'm 100% sure, and about 23 feet long?  I want a good one, but not necessarily one that costs that much! 

Alice...

event.png

18 hours ago, Alice said:

Yeah...Husband and I have already decided we have to sit down and have a serious discussion about this - in the next 3 days!  We're supposed to go buy this thing on Saturday - assuming they still have one.

You have imposed an unnecessary time limit on yourselves. If you aren't ready, don't buy it. I assure you that in 6 months, or a year, or whatever you'll be able to find a perfectly good RV for the price you want to spend. There is no perfect RV, and folks very seldom get it right (whatever that means...) the first time anyway. When you get caught up in the "this is the one and it's only available for the next few days" mentality you are more likely to make a bad decision. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

1 hour ago, Alice said:

Dude!  That is SO not Bob Marley!  That's Bobby McFerrin!  I know my reggae!  My son says the only people he knows who listens to it is stoners and his mom.  LOL! 

Bob Marley, amongst others have done versions of the song well before Bobby MFerrin.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

18 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Bob Marley, amongst others have done versions of the song well before Bobby MFerrin.

Bobby McFerrin wrote that song in 1988. :)  Marley was, sadly, dead by then. 

Maybe you're thinking of: 

SOOO many good Marley songs.  :wub:

Edited by Alice

Alice...

event.png

I wondered about that!  I know bobby also sung it but youtube has it posted alot as bob marley.  Hmm, I love the song either way!  Thanks for the help.

Alrighty then.  All these years I thought that he sung that... had to go searching, found this:

http://songs-tube.net/artist.php?id=2283

I guess I've been:

bitchslap.jpg