Choosing a 5th wheel for full time living

If you haven't done so already, spend some time looking at everything you can - no matter the price or condition. In a fairly short period of time you will know what floor plans will and won't work for you. Then you can start looking for something to buy.

Since you are leaning toward a fifth wheel you will need a truck. If you already have a truck you can take the VIN to the dealer and find out the actual axle weight ratings and the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating. Then load the kids, dog, beer, and everything else that will be in the truck when towing (don't forget full fuel) and weigh both axles. That will give you the information you need to figure out what trailer you can tow. If you are going to get the truck later, just use the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating for the heaviest trailer. Figure 25% of that number will be what's riding on the rear axle of the truck.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

3 hours ago, missourijan said:

Look at the Facebook page for Fulltime Families, they are living it and can give you some good advice

Everyone doesn't use Facebook. Simply too much drama on there.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

15 hours ago, sholl3 said:

I think we have decided to go with a used one as kind of a starter RV.  Once we save up a bit more money and have lived in an RV for a little while we will either start remodeling the one we bought or we will trade in for a new one.  We have found a couple of used ones here to look at.  I cannot find any with the floor plan that we love, but we have found some that have a second bedroom in the back instead of the middle.  

Dblr, I would love either of those RVs, they we exactly what we have been looking at.  I will save those for when/if we decide to buy a new one.

What is a good carrying capacity for full time living?

I think that is a wise decision. It will cost much less than new and you'll get to know what you like and don't like. A lot of experienced owners started out just like you plan to do. Best wishes.

TT - 1996 Coachmen Catalina 24' bunkhouse

TV - 2004 Durango 4.7L V8

Archived