Do you park your RV on your property or rent space?

Roadtrek 1

A lot of people might not have a good place to park their RV and wind up renting space; inside or out? 

What do you do and does this have an impact on how much you use the RV on an occasional basis?  Obviously, it would be much easier to just walk outside and drive away. 

What do you pay for the rental of space?  Does your insurance company give you a discount for having it parked in a secure location?

I am fortunate to have the property to park my RV at my home.  A few years ago, I even built a large shop to keep the RV and tow vehicle in when not in use.  It is nice to walk the 50 feet or so from the house to the shop to get the RV ready and head out.  We also use the RV as guest quarters as needed when we have company.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

My RV is inside the structure that houses our living quarters. Just walk out the side door of the house into the enclosed garage that houses it. Very nice for packing for a trip when weather is bad, like currently as we leave tomorrow for Tucson & Escapade.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We live in a manufactured home community where we cannot keep our RV on our property (wouldn't have the room for it, anyway, even if we could).  The community has 2 secure RV storage areas that cost $25 per month.  We're fortunate that the storage area where our RV is located is maybe a couple hundred feet from our home.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

We own an RV site at an "ownership" park where we have a Casita and storage shed. We continue to live in the MH when we are there. 

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

I am full time now so I never store mine, I live in it. Before I went full time I lived in San Diego and was not able to park at my sticks and bricks. I paid $250 a month to store my RV outdoors. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

I have an RV space next to my workshop with water nd 30 amp electric. MY oxidation pond is 75 feet from it and I have a macerator pump and 100 foot 3/4" hose to pump the black water to the pond. So I am selling it as we are downsizing from 5 acres to a house in a subdivision. It's what we want for now. We can always rent one or buy another, they made millions of them.;)

Safe Travels.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

When I was snowbirding we lived in an apartment where I just parked it in the parking lot for the summer. I tried to rent off-site inside storage but they lied about the height of the garage door so my rig didn't fit.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We have full hookup facilities at our S&B. 

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

We have a full hookup site next our lakeside cottage in Upstate NY. We normally continue to live in our motorhome when we're there.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

We live in a HOA where we can't keep the R V. We pay $40 a month for outside storage.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5RL used for full-timing for several years. Sold

2114 Sunnbrook 25' RL pull trailer for summer camping and short trips.

2007 Chevy diesel 

Our co-op has a secure storage area for those who do not want to keep an RV on their lot.

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

We bought our house 2 years ago and it had a nice concrete pad 50 Feet long on the side behind double gates. (I have since changed them to rolling gates)  They used to have a hot tub in the backyard so we were able to run 50 amp to the side as well. We used to store it before that on an army base for $70 a month complete with MICE. So glad we were able to move it. We were going to have to store it farther away.

2024 GMC 3500HD DRW Denali Diesel

2019 Keystone Avalanche 396BH

USN Retired

On 3/6/2019 at 9:30 AM, LindaH said:

We live in a manufactured home community where we cannot keep our RV on our property (wouldn't have the room for it, anyway, even if we could).  The community has 2 secure RV storage areas that cost $25 per month.  We're fortunate that the storage area where our RV is located is maybe a couple hundred feet from our home.

Until my DW departed for Heaven I had a barn for inside storage with E&W hook-up. I sold the property and full timed for a period od time.  I remarried, Marcie still has her manufactured home and there is community storage about 150 yards out the back door at no cost. A little Round-Up and Ant spray and no problems. I generally park the FW with enough water for a wash job and any cleaning needed.

Off site, short term rental runs $30-50 a month and you may not have room to your put slides out.

Clay 2016 DRV MS 38PS3 with Generator

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 11:53 PM, Roadtrek 1 said:

A lot of people might not have a good place to park their RV and wind up renting space; inside or out? 

What do you do and does this have an impact on how much you use the RV on an occasional basis?  Obviously, it would be much easier to just walk outside and drive away. 

What do you pay for the rental of space?  Does your insurance company give you a discount for having it parked in a secure location?

1.  True.  Some rent inside, some outside.  Some park on their own property.

2. Not always "obvious".  Depends on the difficulty of removing a "conveniently parked" (as in, next to your home) RV.  "Normally" it would be easier next to your home....but what is "Normal"?  However sometimes a nice RV storage facility is VERY convenient.  Have had both.

3. Not a practical question! Storage in urban areas can be expensive.  Storage in rural areas - cheap!   How far must you go even to *find* available storage?  Never heard of an insurance company giving a discount for where you parked it.  (I had a RV stored at a lot owned & operated by an LEO & his wife - with night-time security guard & patrol.....and still had incidents of theft & damage!)

BTW - Maybe you should make a LIST of your questions -vs- individual posts for each?

From the reports I've read, the incidence of RV theft/vandalism seems to be quite a bit higher in storage and dealer facilities than parked at a residence. I'm sure the insurance companies know that, so discounts would be unlikely.

Dutch

4 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

From the reports I've read, the incidence of RV theft/vandalism seems to be quite a bit higher in storage and dealer facilities than parked at a residence. I'm sure the insurance companies know that, so discounts would be unlikely.

Dutch, thanks for this....We park our RV right outside our house with live security cameras... and we have neighbors keeping an eye on the rig when we're gone. 

5 hours ago, Pappy Yokum said:

Not always "obvious".  Depends on the difficulty of removing a "conveniently parked" (as in, next to your home) RV.  "Normally" it would be easier next to your home....but what is "Normal"?  However sometimes a nice RV storage facility is VERY convenient.  Have had both

What is normal?  Perfectly reasonable question. 

Yes, for me it's that easy to park outside the front door with the two cars. 

4 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Years ago some cruisemates parked their RV in a secure lot in the Miami area while on the cruise. They were not at all happy with what they found when they returned.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

6 hours ago, sandsys said:

Years ago some cruisemates parked their RV in a secure lot in the Miami area while on the cruise. They were not at all happy with what they found when they returned.

Linda

Another relatively common storage lot issue seems to be unintentional damage caused by other units being moved around. Even if someone else's insurance pays for the damage, the owner still has to deal with the hassles of getting it fixed.

Dutch

Archived