Do you use satellite navigation or your cellphone GPS?

Roadtrek 1

A lot of people use cellphones for maps and navigation, but, when you are out of cellphone range good old satellite navigation is really hard to beat.

We've found a number of instances where we were glad to have the satellite navigation as a backup plan.

What system do you normally use?

I use copilot on a tablet.  Copilot downloads all of the maps and data to my tablet so it will work whether or not there is a cell signal.  I have been very happy with the program and the large screen provided by the tablet.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

We travel with the RV using a Garmin RV-660 and occasionally use Google Maps on the cell phone for very short duration trips. Like the larger screen, the split screen graphics feature, and the RV related data.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Have Garmin 660-LMT has main source when in truck. Google maps is always running for comparison too. I love the elevation profile the Garmin has for long grades and descents up a head. The 770 does this also, but the 760 does not. 

Just as an FYI, if you start Google Maps in an area you have service and as long as the route stays active, it's cashed in the phone/device. Even if you lose service somewhere, it will keep navigating you. However, if you close the maps or it tries a reroute and doesn't have service, then it will fail until you have service. You can manually download offline locations to google maps too. This is good if you'll be spending time in an area without reliable service. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

I still prefer the larger screen on my laptop computer.  I am running Streets and Trips (last updated in 2013) with a USB GPS.  We tried a Garmin Nuvi, but did not like it and sold it after a year.  If I ever find S&T to be so outdated that it is not usable,  I plan to switch to a mapping program on my 10" tablet.

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

I use the built in nav system that came with my RV.  The DW uses our old RV GPS on her side.  The only time we may use I-phone mapping is if there is a question about a CG entrance or fuel stop area, then she may pull it up on her phone with "satellite" view for a more defined closer look.

We actually don't follow none of our nav devices exactly.  I review our route in advance using my commercial atlas so I know what roads to stay on.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

I use my 660 when I want a good laugh at how ridiculous the routes are.   That thing will take me miles out of my way when perfectly good roads are right there in plain view on the map.  In Las Vegas it wants me to exit the I-15 for 2 blocks and get back on.

I use the Garmin 770 RV. I like the additional features it gives you like locations of  fuel, rest stops, restaurants, campgrounds etc, as well as the ability to program the stats of your RV, height, length, weight etc, to avoid roads with low underpasses etc. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

1. Paper maps to see the big picture. They always work.

2. Garmin dezl sumthin sumthin satnav. Has auto, RV, heavy truck settings. It doesn’t always accept the human pilot wants to take a different route. It protests and fusses.

3. Google maps. Great for location finding by name, or address, or zoom in and looking with the eyes. Traffic status. Why aren’t the roads “red” so you can see them? 

4. Benchmark state recreation maps loaded through Avenza app on mobile device. The roads are red. BLM, NF, State trust, treaty lands are marked.

5. State and provincial land maps on the simple to use (😀😀) guvmint websites.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

I use the free TruckerPath app on my old-old Motorola Zoom tablet w/built-in GPS. It's easy to see, easy to hear, and runs for  10-12 hrs on battery. We tried cell-phone but can't hear it speak directions, and screen is too small to see while driving.

I have a Rand McNally RV7730 but  cant' hear it either. I'm not deaf, just hard of hearing and old.:(

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

We normally use a Garmin Nuvi  GPS, but I also have CoPilot on my phone as well as Google Maps as backups. We also have a couple of atlases on board that we occasionally use for planning. I usually pre-plan the route I want to take to our next location using Google Maps on my laptop, and then adjust the Garmin entries as needed to follow my routing.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Archived