5th Wheel Tug

Bubblechaser

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a little late to the party but I was going to suggest you make a tow dolly out of a axle and use a electric winch to pull your trailer into place. Or turn a riding lawn mower into a tug. You would look cute tucked under the hitch while using it. DollyTrolly is correct about a front hitch one of those is the main reason I cant back a 4 wheel farm wagon like I should.

1 hour ago, Lance A Lott said:

I am a little late to the party but I was going to suggest you make a tow dolly out of a axle and use a electric winch to pull your trailer into place. Or turn a riding lawn mower into a tug. You would look cute tucked under the hitch while using it. DollyTrolly is correct about a front hitch one of those is the main reason I cant back a 4 wheel farm wagon like I should.

Thank you for your input but I already bought a motorized dolly/tug made especially for this purpose. They already have my money and it is on the way. You van watch You Tube for Parkit360 to see it in action. I don't think I have the skill set to make what you describe. Thanks again. Good luck

1 hour ago, Bubblechaser said:

Thank you for your input but I already bought a motorized dolly/tug made especially for this purpose. They already have my money and it is on the way. You van watch You Tube for Parkit360 to see it in action. I don't think I have the skill set to make what you describe. Thanks again. Good luck

That is what I was thinking of, just with a winch to pull it back to your parking spot. It looks well thought out. Does it have 2 moters so it stears? 

I read most of this post you will find very knowledgeable and helpful people on this site. Some of us are very handy some of us are not so handy but we're always willing to give advice and you know what they say about advice. Sorry I guess that's actually opinions and in some cases that amounts to to the same thing.

• 1 month later...
On 3/7/2019 at 8:05 AM, Bubblechaser said:

Thank you Al. I just spent $4100.00 on the Parkit 360 for 5th wheels. It is the Cadillac and will do the job. Thanks again for your help.

PM sent - another who would like to know how it has worked out for you - your opinions, comments, etc.

~

I too will be interested in hearing how this works for you.   The thought was that $4k+ would quickly be cheaper than paying for offsite storage ($150-250 per month in our area).

I investigated them briefly but determined that the pin weight limit was too low for our Arctic Fox.  We have a long, narrow uphill driveway with an “S” turn to park alongside our house.   There’s no practical way for us to negotiate that turn with our long bed crew cab truck.  In the end we chose to park it at an angle slightly in front of the house.  

Shannon,

It worked great for me. Limits are 15,000 lbs GVWR and 2200 lbs pin weight for the Parkit 360 dolly. Of all the dollies I researched this one looked to be the beefiest one I could find. Plus it had a good heavy duty stabilizer bar set up to keep everything in line. They say it can handle a 4% incline and can negotiate gravel, concrete would obviously be best. It would pay for itself rather quickly when offsite storage is 80 bucks a month and I can now put it outfront of the house where I can watch it 24/7. I too have a long bed truck which happens to be an F-350 dually and I had an experienced truck driver try to put the 5er where it needed to be and he couldn't do it either. He suggested a powered dolly like they use in some semi truck yards and it works. Learning to steer it using a separate button for each drive motor will take some getting used to but I like the idea of it having a remote control so I can watch from all angles. I hope it can handle your rig like it does mine. Assembly requires some metric tools and some mechanical ability along with a deep cycle marine battery to power it.

Bubblechaser 

Archived