5th Wheel Tug

Bubblechaser

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Bubblechaser said:

Granted I  am a rookie at this but a professional truck driver couldn't do it either.

Just because a truck driver gets paid , doesn't make them proficient at parking a 5th wheel . 

Goes around , comes around .

7 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

Just because a truck driver gets paid , doesn't make them proficient at parking a 5th wheel . 

Yep, go spend a hour at a busy truck stop and observe a few "professional" truck drivers trying to park. Many drivers jobs don't require backing so some drivers aren't proficient at it. Yes, I trucked for 20 years logging 3,000,000 miles and back my own equipment.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

1 hour ago, Bubblechaser said:

All I wanted was a little help. I'm not a professional truck driver, I'm a new camper and all I needed was some information. You two need to go have a beer and pat each other on the back. You could say "We sure showed that rookie".

Help is what you received . Maybe not exactly what you expected , but , for the price you paid , you got a deal .

And , then you denigrate . Marvelous .

1 hour ago, Bubblechaser said:

All I wanted was a little help. I'm not a professional truck driver, I'm a new camper and all I needed was some information. You two need to go have a beer and pat each other on the back. You could say "We sure showed that rookie".

10 minutes ago, Pat & Pete said:

Help is what you received . Maybe not exactly what you expected , but , for the price you paid , you got a deal .

And , then you denigrate . Marvelous .

I'm with Bubblechaser here.  Asked for help and got some snarky comments kind of like "go learn how to drive". 

It is entirely possible that there isn't room, in the front part of the place to park the 5th wheel, to maneuver a tow vehicle.   I seriously doubt he is planning on taking the dolly with him on his travels.  

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

3 minutes ago, Al F said:

I'm with Bubblechaser here.  Asked for help and got some snarky comments kind of like "go learn how to drive". 

It is entirely possible that there isn't room, in the front part of the place to park the 5th wheel, to maneuver a tow vehicle.   I seriously doubt he is planning on taking the dolly with him on his travels.  

Thank you. Outstanding comment.

If you are faced with a scenario at home, etc, then a tug is your answer. If you are planning to have to use a tug while on the road, I then second the answers above to practice. If you can't back it up in on-the-road or normal CG situations, you have no business driving it until you can.

OK, let er' rip!

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

3 minutes ago, Al F said:

Al , 

Maybe you should re-read my question . Obviously , you misunderstood . 

On 3/5/2019 at 9:34 AM, Bubblechaser said:

Does Anyone use a dolly or tug to park their 5th wheel in a tight spot? Who makes it and where can I find one?

By the way, welcome to the Forum.  We are usually friendly and helpful. 

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

1 minute ago, Pat & Pete said:

Al , 

Maybe you should re-read my question . Obviously , you misunderstood . 

Quoting your first reply:

That sounds like a royal pain . Why not learn how to handle your rig ? 

Obviously "I" misunderstood. 

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

I had to hold onto my dually just to park our 5th wheel because with the HDT there was not enough room to SAFLEY get into our storage spot and I yard jockeyed for 2 major shipping companies and know my limits. Do whatever works best for YOU. Good luck and enjoy

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

2 minutes ago, dblr said:

I had to hold onto my dually just to park our 5th wheel because with the HDT there was not enough room to SAFLEY get into our storage spot and I yard jockeyed for 2 major shipping companies and know my limits. Do whatever works best for YOU. Good luck and enjoy

Thank you sir. You nailed it.

I don't know what you tow with. But it may be a LOT cheaper to find someone locally with a short wheelbase truck to park it for you the few (?) times needed. Second option- go buy a commercial pup dolly like from double bottoms. Must be 1000 of them out there, yeah it's ugly But so is $2200..........................

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

10 minutes ago, ARGO said:

I don't know what you tow with. But it may be a LOT cheaper to find someone locally with a short wheelbase truck to park it for you the few (?) times needed. Second option- go buy a commercial pup dolly like from double bottoms. Must be 1000 of them out there, yeah it's ugly But so is $2200..........................

23 minutes ago, Pat & Pete said:

How are you wrong ? 

Because you are inebriated by the exuberance of your own verbosity which solves nothing.

12 minutes ago, ARGO said:

I tow with an F-350 Dually long bed. I have located a motorized tug/dolly I may buy but I appreciate your input and will look around for a cheaper solution. Parkit 360 has one for 5th wheels but it costs 4k I found others for around 2k but not as nice.

Archived