Where to go for pre-purchase inspection?

ABsavage

Hello there,

My husband and I are getting ready to purchase our first camper and we are buying it used from a private buyer. We have seen the vehicle and think it could be perfect for us, now the next thing to do is get it inspected by a third party. What we are unsure of is the difference/benefits of taking it to: 

1. A brand specific shop
2. A general auto shop
3. A private mechanic who will go to see it on site

Any insight about the pros and cons of these different methods for inspection would be much appreciated!!

Thank you.

I would not use any of those for most RVs, although if the one you are looking at is a motorized one then you may want to have your favorite auto mechanic check out the chassis for you but they are unlikely to be qualified to check the RV its self. For that, you want either a qualified RV inspector or you could use a mobile RV tech. You didn't say where in CA you are located so we can't give you any suggestions as to specific RV techs or inspectors to use but we may be able to help you if you will share your location. An RV has many things that are unique to RVs in appliances and in structural areas so most mechanics would not be familiar with. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Hi there, 
Thanks for the replies. What we are looking at is a 2000 Eurovan Camper, so not a full RV, but still with some RV appliances and tanks. I was referred to Lemon Squad by an RV blog, but upon reading Yelp reviews I am feeling pretty skeptical about them. Have also been referred to Your Mechanic, but it doesn't seem like they will look at the RV components of the vehicle and will just do a standard inspection of normal engine/structural parts. We are located in San Francisco. Thinking about trying for a VW shop, but it would be much more convenient for both ourselves and the seller if we could get a mechanic to go inspect on site. 

Archived