Coastline Camping in Winter So-Cal or Mexico

spottrouble

Hi folks, new here. I'm currently working on my escape plan from work, and cold winters. Native Texan, spent past 15 years splitting time between Tx and Nv, currently cleaning out the Tx home and shop so I can officially move to Nv. Spring, summer and Fall in Northern Nv is fabulous weather, but 3-4 months of winter, shoveling snow, and feeding Lucifer gets old quick. Something I really miss is spending time at the beach and fishing, and I don't want to drive all the way back to Tx to do that, yet know nothing about California beaches. Can you drive out on beach with an RV and camp? I certainly do not want to be in a major city, I like distance from people.

My other thought was maybe head down to Mexico (habla espanol) and find some little hideaway on the sea of cortez, although in Mexico I'd maybe want to be someplace closer to people, maybe there are parks setup for the American tourists? IDK

Either way I'd want to be within walking distance of the ocean, and preferably with a good view, I don't care if its sandy beach or rocks.I know I could do this on Tx coast, just not sure I can handle that drive too many more times.

Is this possible?

Thanks!

Kristin

Not sure about No California but I lived in So Cal most of my life. No where do I know of that you can drive on the beach and the only camping is in State Parks which have only a14 day stay limit. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

All of the California coastline is under the control of the Coastal Commission and they have pretty much locked down any access except daytime use, i.e. park your car along the road or in a parking lot and walk to the beach.

The only place that I know of in California where you can drive and/or camp on the beach is Oceano Dunes SRVA in Pismo Beach near San Luis Obispo.

http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1207

There are other beaches in Southern California where you can fish, but you can't drive your vehicle out on the sand.  Emma Woods State Beach along Hwy 101 west of Ventura has roadside RV campsites on the ocean side of the old road adjacent to the beach.

https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=604

In Northern California, there's Lawson's Landing in Dillon Beach near Tomales (north of San Francisco across Tomales Bay from Pt Reyes National Seashore).  Since 1957 the Lawson family offered freeform camping in the meadows and dunes on their 940 acres.  Then about 10 years ago Marin County and the Coastal Commission forced them to develop a specific use plan with defined campsites.  They still have sites within walking distance of the beach and a marina and bait shop where you can rent a boat if you want to fish or clam out on Tomales Bay.

http://www.lawsonslanding.com/

Edited by Lou Schneider

My DW loves the beach.  From living in SW Florida we know the closer things are kept to the beach the quicker they rust.  I wouldn't want my RV parked closer than 2 or 3 miles from any beach for an extended winter stay.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

Tow truck drivers at Ocean Shores, WA just love people who want to 'camp' on the beach with their trucks and RVs.  Pretty hefty charge for getting them off when they realize that (1) the beach "moves" and they are sinking and (2) there is going to be a VERY high tide that night! :D

There is a really nice CA state park at Half Moon Bay (South of SF) with RV sites (water and electric) where you can walk to the beach and hear the surf at night.  Winter temperatures there wouldn't be too bad.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

11 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Tow truck drivers at Ocean Shores, WA just love people who want to 'camp' on the beach with their trucks and RVs.  Pretty hefty charge for getting them off when they realize that (1) the beach "moves" and they are sinking and (2) there is going to be a VERY high tide that night! 

Yep, there's lots of hilarious videos on Youtube taken by the owner of a towing company that runs a custom 4WD tow truck on the beach:

https://www.youtube.com/user/HILLAUTOBODY/videos

Edited by Lou Schneider

Thanks for the replies! I had a feeling CA beaches would not be very open, I know TX beaches used to be open, have not been down to the coast for past 20 years so honestly not sure about today. Used to be you could just drive out on beach in Port A and if you wanted privacy just head a few miles south on beach. Being right on beach is not that important, but within view and walking distance would be nice.

Anyone know about Mexico? Yes I know news headlines, also know family still living down there and friends from Tx that go down there without problems (but they have homes down there, not RV's).

Investigated Salton Sea area last year, seemed kinda sketchy.

Tow rig is 4x4 Dmax, trailer is vintage Silver streak.

Edited by spottrouble

I don't think you will find anyplace in southern Ca along or close to the beach unless it's in a campground and that won't be cheap. On the Sea of Cortez we spent one month two years in a row in Puerto Penasco at Playa Bonita RV, there are a lot of US citizens that spend the winter there, it's on the beach with tons of sea food.

Denny 

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

Silver Strand in Coronado 

San Onofre State Park/beach n. San Diego county, dry camping

Rincon , between Ventura and Santa Barbara dry camping

Hobson Beach county park , Ventura county, full hook ups in some sites.

these are in the southern part of the state. Not particularly quiet as you have the constant roar of the surf, I-5 or rt 101 and train tracks

• 4 weeks later...

This is my investigation too. I live in Tucson and I am wondering about beaches. I have heard good things about Baha. I have much experience with Sea of Cortez. I'd like to talk to you about it if you want. 

Alison

Toyota Dolphin '89 Glamper

Edited by nilewaves
forgot contact info

• 3 months later...
On 3/4/2019 at 10:30 PM, spottrouble said:

Thanks for the replies! I had a feeling CA beaches would not be very open, I know TX beaches used to be open, have not been down to the coast for past 20 years so honestly not sure about today. Used to be you could just drive out on beach in Port A and if you wanted privacy just head a few miles south on beach. Being right on beach is not that important, but within view and walking distance would be nice.

Anyone know about Mexico? Yes I know news headlines, also know family still living down there and friends from Tx that go down there without problems (but they have homes down there, not RV's).

Investigated Salton Sea area last year, seemed kinda sketchy.

Tow rig is 4x4 Dmax, trailer is vintage Silver streak.

Check out keep your daydream on you tube they camped close to beach in a nice RV park

X2 on Peurto Penasco and Playa Bonita. We go there every year but you wont be alone. It's a zoo with a lot of partying and sites very close together. But you are right in the water.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5RL used for full-timing for several years. Sold

2114 Sunnbrook 25' RL pull trailer for summer camping and short trips.

2007 Chevy diesel