RV Health

• 1 month later...

I'm a year away from retirement, I'll have no medical coverage from 57 to 62. I am very interested in learning more about who and how to obtain healthcare coverage. I know we all have different needs, but there isn't hardly anything that I have found that's helpful.

Edited by mreid99
Mia typed info

1 hour ago, mreid99 said:

I'm a year away from retirement, I'll have no medical coverage from 57 to 62. I am very interested in learning more about who and how to obtain healthcare coverage. I know we all have different needs, but there isn't hardly anything that I have found that's helpful.

What happens at age 62 to get you health insurance?   Medicare starts at 65.   You can start social security at 62 with reduced income. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

On 4/6/2019 at 4:15 AM, Al F said:

Here is a link to some very good info about health insurance (as well as other insurance):  https://www.rv-dreams.com/insurance.html

Actually, not a good site for current health insurance information because Howard & Linda (of www.rv-dreams.com) had a grandfathered Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO health insurance plan. Basically, they ended up paying very little (in today's terms) for great nationwide health insurance.

While there are folks with these types of health plans, plus others with government/corporate/military plans, most of us have to make other plans for health insurance prior to Medicare.

Edited by Zulu

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

On 4/6/2019 at 7:54 AM, Kirk W said:

A good place to get some solid information on health care is the RVer Insurance Exchange, a commercial member of Escapees.

Remember, this is for-profit site and the options presented serve that purpose. For example, one option not mentioned is just moving to a new state (besides FL, SD, or TX) that has nationwide health plans.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

On 4/6/2019 at 2:34 AM, mreid99 said:

It's either a FL ACA health plan or a Christian Healthshare plan.

For an ACA plan, use www.healthsherpa.com. If you're thinking about using FL, then use ZIP Code 33597. This is for Sumter County, the Escapees Mail Service county. Using Health Sherpa, you'll be able to check health plans & price + see if you're eligible for a subsidy.

www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

1 hour ago, Zulu said:

Remember, this is for-profit site and the options presented serve that purpose. For example, one option not mentioned is just moving to a new state (besides FL, SD, or TX) that has nationwide health plans.

Respectfully, are “for profit” and helpful, useful, “solid information” mutually exclusive? Not unless you live with a ‘victim or viking’ mentality. 

There are people in the world who’s primary motivation is not financial profit; but because they create enough value for enough people by solving a problem that they eventually can become profitable (though not always). 

Ironically, you link to healthsherpa (a for-profit) and tell someone that it’s “FL ACA [also for-profit] or Christian Healthshare [which many are actually for-profit]” only. However, there are other arguably better options in FL such as Short Term Medical, non-religious Healthshare plans, and Fixed Benefit plans that might be more suitable to some RVers. 

We too promote using healthsherpa in our guide, regardless of the fact that we very rarely profit from enrollments through them (only when someone enrolls in BCBS of TX do we make a small 1% profit—all other companies and in all other states we financially profit nothing. In fact, for 3 years we paid a $5-$10 fee for each of these enrollments). 

It’s also worth noting that in health insurance the customer’s premium is the same regardless of whether or not an agent is getting paid.

Most importantly, there are other forms of profit far more rewarding than financial. Many of our conversations with RVers end with us making a recommendation where we do not make a financial profit and we perfectly okay with that. 

“Profit” is not a bad word unless you think ‘profit’ necessarily means there is a victim at the other end of it. But that thought does not make it reality but for the thinker. 

Kyle Henson, Fulltime RVer since 2011

Founder/Former Owner of  RVer Insurance Exchange

10 hours ago, Zulu said:

Actually, not a good site for current health insurance information because Howard & Linda (of www.rv-dreams.com) had a grandfathered Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO health insurance plan. Basically, they ended up paying very little (in today's terms) for great nationwide health insurance.

While there are folks with these types of health plans, plus others with government/corporate/military plans, most of us have to make other plans for health insurance prior to Medicare.

I guess you felt that none of the other information in that section of Howard & Linda's website:  https://www.rv-dreams.com/insurance.html is worth reading since a small part covered a grandfathered insurance plan.
There sure were lots more words and advice there than their specific insurance plan.  Whether or not every bit of the info provided is useful to a person, the info is worth reading through. 
I always feel the more places I can go to, to read and gather information, the better I can make decisions for things I need. 

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

I am always frustrated and sadly amused when someone says "but that is a for profit" company or place.  As if "for profit" is always bad and only supplies false, incorrect info, or something that is ONLY useful to the person selling it. 

Even when we work for someone for pay as the vast majority of people do, we are working for something that can be considered "for profit".

That is, when I go to work for some one, I am selling my labor to them for a profit to benefit me.  Otherwise I would just go to work for them and not want or need to be paid.  

Sadly there are some "non profit" companies that raise money where that money goes 80% to 90% to pay the salary (which is profit to the people collecting the salary) of the people working for the non profit and only 10% to 20% goes to benefit the reason for the non profit.  There is nothing that says that a non profit gives more accurate or better info or service than a for profit.  

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

On 4/6/2019 at 2:34 AM, mreid99 said:

What health insurance are you going to get at 62?   Medicare doesn't kick in until you are 65.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

7 hours ago, Zulu said:

Why don't you tell people about nationwide ACA plans in other states?

Most fulltimers pick from the 3 RV friendly states (FL, SD, TX).   What other states offer ACA plans that are nationwide?

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

4 hours ago, Al F said:
I guess you felt that none of the other information in that section of Howard & Linda's website:  https://www.rv-dreams.com/insurance.html is worth reading . . .

Never said that. I said it wasn't a good site for current information -- and it's not. For example, on their ACA Info page  the list of states with health exchanges is out of date.

4 hours ago, Al F said:
I guess you felt that none of the other information in that section of Howard & Linda's website:  https://www.rv-dreams.com/insurance.html is worth reading since a small part covered a grandfathered insurance plan.

"A small part"? Not hardly.

I emailed Howard & Linda three years ago to find out more details of their health insurance coverage, and they provided great specifics:

As it stands, we would have to get a plan on the exchange that is over double our current premium EVEN if it is a high deductible plan. Low deductible plans are three times the cost of our current plan.  As a couple, our household income would have to be under $64,000 to be eligible for any type of premium subsidy or tax credit.  Our income fluctuates, so some years we would be eligible and some years we wouldn't.

Edited by Zulu

www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

3 hours ago, Al F said:

I am always frustrated and sadly amused when someone says "but that is a for profit" company or place.  As if "for profit" is always bad and only supplies false, incorrect info, or something that is ONLY useful to the person selling it.

These are your words, not mine. If you don't think the content of a web site is affected by what it sells, then I have a bridge to sell you.

www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

1 hour ago, Barbaraok said:

Most fulltimers pick from the 3 RV friendly states (FL, SD, TX).   What other states offer ACA plans that are nationwide?

I think I found BCBS nationwide PPO plans in AK, AL, CA, AR, FL, ND, and NV. However, this was only a cursory check. I have been hoping that an RV support organization like Escapees would do a much better job at researching ACA plans.

BTW, if BCBS stop selling nationwide EPO plans in FL, then the Big Three states would really not be "RV friendly" anymore.

www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Escapees is centered in Texas.  Most of the states you listed aren’t RV friendly for full timers.    You do realize that a huge number of full timers are retired and on Medicare, right?     

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

3 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Escapees is centered in Texas.  Most of the states you listed aren’t RV friendly for full timers.    You do realize that a huge number of full timers are retired and on Medicare, right?     

So what about those under 65 who are not on Medicare (or government/military/corporate-supplied health insurance)?

As I recall you had health insurance through your former employer before Medicare, right? If so, then I see why you don't understand the situation of those who have to buy their own individual health insurance. For these folks, TX and SD are currently not "RV friendly" in terms of heath care.

www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

On 3/3/2019 at 11:05 PM, Wizards&OZ said:

Anybody using RVHealth.com? What's your opinion on the services provided? Have you used Telemedicine before and what are your thoughts on it? 

I'd like to apologize to Wizard&Oz, I thought this forum was for helping one another. This thread went a pissing/bicker match. 

Quite frankly I am here to learn and I am disappointed to see this thread heading down the toilet, if I wanted that I would have  gone to another website.

Edited by mreid99

3 hours ago, Zulu said:

So what about those under 65 who are not on Medicare (or government/military/corporate-supplied health insurance)?

As I recall you had health insurance through your former employer before Medicare, right? If so, then I see why you don't understand the situation of those who have to buy their own individual health insurance. For these folks, TX and SD are currently not "RV friendly" in terms of heath care.

Individual policies are not controlled by the state like DL, vehicle registration, taxes, voting, ease of establishing residency, etc.  that’s what makes a state friendly for full timers.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834