Going to start full time RVing

sholl3

My parents own 80 acres of land that they are building a home on to retire to.  A few of my other siblings are building homes on it as well and my parents have said we could make it so our RV can be on it if we want.

For the tub I am wanting to eventually put in a tankless hot water heater.  Until then when I was living at home on Sunday mornings when everyone was trying to shower and bathe my dad would boil water to use for the kids' baths so we could save the hot water for showers (he got the water the correct temperature before putting them in so they did not get burned when he dumped hot water in the tub).  If I had to I could do that.  Also, just for baths for my kids I do not fill up the tub much.

We could try to find a more stable job, but we are actually leaning towards going with a job that will have us moving more.  Some people in my husband's field are only in one place for a few weeks at a time.  If we had an RV we could get into that and we both think that would be great.  I grew up moving.  By the time I left for college at 21 I had moved between states I think 23 times, but I am starting to lose count honestly.  In conversations with my husband I will frequently say something like "There is this great restaurant in Denver called Casa Bonita and we are going to have to go there sometimes," "There is this great camp ground in Wyoming and we need to go there," "Did you know that in New Mexico there is a forest that only goes up to your knees?  You guys need to see it at some point," "Some time we need to go to Ichetucknee Springs in Florida, it is so cold but really amazing to raft down it."  Growing up I learned that every single place in the US was beautiful in its own way.  I would love to share with my family some of those amazing places and be able to discover new places with them.  My husband also says that he does not put down roots anywhere, that his only roots are his family, and that traveling the US with us full time sounds amazing to him.  We don't really want to be moving less, we just want to be packing and unpacking less.

12 minutes ago, sholl3 said:

We don't really want to be moving less, we just want to be packing and unpacking less.

To me, that says the RV lifestyle will be perfect for you. The biggest challenge may be finding places to park the 5er near each new job location. Once you find the right RV/truck combination, of course.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Just to toss out another thing or two to think about, and that is school. With your lifestyle, you would be perfect homeschoolers. Your kids will know FAR more than others just because they have actually been to various places.

Also, consider where you are domiciled. The big three are Florida, South Dakota, and Texas because all three have no income tax and let your mail forwarding address serve as your license address, with no requirement that you have any other sort of residential address. If health insurance is provided for you, regardless of where you are domiciled, you are fine there. You will just have to check on homeschooling laws. If you provide your own health insurance that will also be a factor in which State you domicile.

Consider starting a blog and keeping us updated on your adventures that way. You are about to do what we wish we could have done with our kids.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

I think we will be able to find places close enough to my husband's work.  He typically works outside of the city limits, and a lot of the people he works with also live in RVs, so it seems like his jobs are pretty close to RV parks.  Right now he has 4 RV parks that he knows us within 10 minutes of his work.  We also currently live an hour away from where he works because that is the closest we could find a decent apartment that allowed for a short term lease, so he is willing to commute some, but I think most of the time we will be able to find RV parks closer than we can find apartments.

I definitely plan to homeschool the kids.  I have actually always wanted to homeschool, even before I had kids.  This is just another excuse, and honestly makes homeschooling even better because of all the things we can see, like you said.

I do want to start blogging again.  I used to, but then I stopped.  I really love it, so maybe I will start a new blog.

4 hours ago, sholl3 said:

think most of the time we will be able to find RV parks closer than we can find apartments.

Excellent!

When your kids get a bit older, check out junior range programs at national parks. They are a fun way to learn about biology. They are free and the kids earn badges.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• 2 weeks later...

Archived