New shoes

Av8r3400

I think I’m going to get some new shoes for the Arctic Fox before we leave for the ECR.  I have Michelins on the steers and recaps on the drives now. 

I don’t think I can justify the $$ for Michelin steers, so I may just go with a less premium tire there, but my real question is for the drives  

Has anyone put “traction” oriented tires on your drives?  I’d like to do this unless someone can dissuade me from the idea.  I don’t have a locker in the rear and do get off pavement on occasion and would like a little better grip than what I have now. 

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

I have open shoulder Dayton tires on my drive axle.  They are a fairly aggressive tread and have served me well for the last six years.  I would buy them again.  I wanted a fairly aggressive tread because I used to have to back my trailer up hill on a gravel driveway to put it away.  This is no longer the case, but I still like the aggressive tread for those occasional issues with wet grass or dirt when towing.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

I replaced my recaps with open shoulder Sailun drives.  I was concerned that I my get more road noise, but really don't notice any difference.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

1 hour ago, dennisvr said:

I replaced my recaps with open shoulder Sailun drives.  I was concerned that I my get more road noise, but really don't notice any difference.

That is the main concerning question.  Will open shouldered tires be objectionably noisy.  Thank you for addressing this, Dennis.

Av8r3400

TEq81qV.jpg

1 minute ago, Moresmoke said:

Cons of traction tires on the drives are a little less fuel mileage, and shorter tread life. Neither really matter for your use.

I totally agree, Moresmoke.  I will NEVER wear out a set of tires on this truck.  They will age away first.  And the slight decrease in fuel mileage will not make any difference.

My main concern was and still is the noise factor.  Having had big "mud" trucks in my younger years I know what listening to droning tires sounds like and confirm to not wanting that in my old(er) age.

Av8r3400

TEq81qV.jpg

3 hours ago, Av8r3400 said:

I totally agree, Moresmoke.  I will NEVER wear out a set of tires on this truck.  They will age away first.  And the slight decrease in fuel mileage will not make any difference.

My main concern was and still is the noise factor.  Having had big "mud" trucks in my younger years I know what listening to droning tires sounds like and confirm to not wanting that in my old(er) age.

I have never noticed a difference between normal traction tires and ribbed noise wise. Really aggressive traction, aka logger tires yes, but not what you would be looking at. There is enough other noise around...

Our truck came with a Yokohama open shoulder drive and then a Yoko steer.  They were 14 years old.....

We replaced with Hercules on the drive, an all-position closed shoulder tread and stayed with the Yoko brand for steers.  DUe to an alignment issue, the steers only lasted about 140k miles (yea I know).  They were replaced with a set of Firestone something or another for a great friendship price!  Thanks, Roger!

Changing from open shoulder to closed on the drives didn't make any sound reduction.  

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

1 hour ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Our truck came with a Yokohama open shoulder drive and then a Yoko steer.  They were 14 years old.....

We replaced with Hercules on the drive, an all-position closed shoulder tread and stayed with the Yoko brand for steers.  DUe to an alignment issue, the steers only lasted about 140k miles (yea I know).  They were replaced with a set of Firestone something or another for a great friendship price!  Thanks, Roger!

Changing from open shoulder to closed on the drives didn't make any sound reduction.  

Your too kind, but your welcome.

GCTaaehl.jpg

I have a set of the Sailun open shoulder shown above on a work truck.  I'm happy with them, and they aren't noisy.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Moresmoke - Those were the exact tires I was looking at on that website, too.

I do want to try to find something locally though, for installation purposes...

Av8r3400

TEq81qV.jpg

I took off Toyo M657 closed shoulder that were 10 years old and replaced with the more aggressive open shoulder M650s. We go off road nearly every trip and felt the positives outweighed the negatives. When new the handling was a bit sketch, but after about 2K miles felt normal again. I can hear them with the windows open, but not like these trucks are quiet anyway.

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

I put new tires on my HDT last year after the old ones were 14 years old from the previous owner. I wanted to run the Saliuns mentioned above as I had enjoyed the S637 trailer tires but the tire shop talked me into the Sumitomo's. They claimed they were better tires  for not that much more money. He said he had a much better time balancing the Sumotimo tires. I'm not sure how much of that was true, but I've been happy with them over the past 15k+ miles. 

I'm running the ST709SE Regional steer / all position tire on the front - http://www.sumitomotrucktires.com/Tires?linename=ST709 SE

I'm running the ST908 open shoulder drive on the rear. http://www.sumitomotrucktires.com/Tires?linename=ST908

It has a continuous center section for highway driving and was a compromise to say the ST909 which is all blocks. I know my open shoulder has definitely helped me in a couple off road places. If I was doing it again I would have gone with the more aggressive ST909 and a buddy of mine did on his truck. 

The more aggressive ST909. http://www.sumitomotrucktires.com/Tires?linename=ST909

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

Sumitomo makes a great tire for the money! I run that ST709 on my Pete's steer, ST727 on my Dodge's steer, and the ST908 I have run on the Dodge's drive axle.

I have Sailun on the trailer too as there is no better value and not a single failure that I can find anywhere on the net or that I have sold to clients.

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

Archived