black out curtains

Lets see your home made black out curtains! I am tired of the stupid curtains that don't keep light out and the stupid little tabs that slide in the stupid plastic track that keep getting stuck. I hate the stupid shades. And I'm tired of the stupid ugly valance. I am ready to rip it out and start over.

Xq8hxdFl.jpg

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

If there is enough room behind your valance I would consider a double roller shade, probably in black.  Day shade still allows you to see out but folks can't see in plus it block a lot of UV.  Pull both down and you won't know if it is day or night out.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

Since Pam once had a custom drapery business, she has replaced the window coverings or modified them in all of the RVs that we have owned going back quite a long time. Our motorhome had blackout drapes over the windshield and in the bedroom but both were products of my talented wife. Short of custom draperies, I am not aware of any source for them to install into an RV. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Any pleated shade company can make you blackout ones but in colors.  We had a wood valance on top that extended down the side to top it off.  Looked very nice.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

We went to Wal-Mart yesterday and picked up some black out curtains. I just got the biggest size they had. $12 a piece or something like that. My Mother-in-law is going to help cut them down to size and custom make one for each window. How I am going to hang them I don't know yet.

1 hour ago, jenandjon said:

How I am going to hang them I don't know yet.

We've had curtains on our windows for years; my wife makes them.  Years ago I discovered that there are high quality, miniature curtain rods and tracks with all the necessary hardware made for the marine (boating) industry.  We have them throughout our MH.  We have the rods mounted in the valences above the windows; we've removed the "casings" on the sides of the windows. 

Here's a vendor we've bought much of the stuff from; the link takes you to an example of one of the rods we've used: https://www.sailrite.com/RECMAR-4108-Bendable-I-Beam-Curtain-Track-Aluminum-72-Long

If you have any questions, feel free to ask; I can give you a list of the full "set" of accessories we've purchased with the rods, stuff like, tape to sew to the curtains, hooks for the tape, "rollers" for the rod, etc. 

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

• 1 month later...

We have had these done for a while now. Just have not had a chance to update you all. We bought a curtain rod that sits close to the wall. In the kitchen area Jen picked out a brighter design.

zMn2NyDl.jpg

IZtXXgsl.jpg

MCD shades are expensive, but they are very well made and last forever.  The fit  under the valences and the ones I have are double--one set of black mesh that lets daylight in and the others that are heavy vinyl and keep all light out.  I wish I had had them installed when I first bought my motorhome.