Film on windows and mirrors

retired64

4 hours ago, SWharton said:

You also need ti to figure out what is causing the film on the windows. Do you always have a vent open and drawing air out when cooking? Vent over the range turned on? That is all I can think of that wou;d cause a film on the windows.

Smoking? We inherited a painting from Dave's Mom who smoked a lot. We had the painting cleaned and the siblings didn't recognize it even though it had hung in their living room all through their childhoods.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• 11 months later...

Glass cleaners don't cut some grime such as grease.  At times I have cleaned hard to clean windows by using a heavy duty cleaner such as Awesome and then followed up with glass cleaner.  We had a 5er with a window behind the stove and that was the only way to get it clean.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

My MIL, a heavy smoker, was known for trying things until she found what worked best. She taught me to use ammonia in water--apply with a rag then squeegee it off. 

Linda Sand

Edited by sandsys

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

7 hours ago, sandsys said:

My MIL, a heavy smoker, was known for trying things until she found what worked best. She taught me to use ammonia in water--apply with a rag then squeegee it off. 

Linda Sand

Sprayway takes all the work of mixing and such out of the equation . 

And , your MIL maybe didn't have the Sprayway option . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

7 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

Sprayway takes all the work of mixing and such out of the equation . 

And , your MIL maybe didn't have the Sprayway option . ;)

She probably didn't have the Sprayway option but since it says, "ammonia free" I doubt she would have used it, anyway. She didn't find most commercial products to work best. I'm not sure how much of that might have been because of allergies.

Linda Sand

1 hour ago, sandsys said:

She probably didn't have the Sprayway option but since it says, "ammonia free" I doubt she would have used it, anyway. She didn't find most commercial products to work best. I'm not sure how much of that might have been because of allergies.

Linda Sand

She sounds a lot like myself . I like home brews . They generally work as good or better than stuff we pay big bucks for . 

I guess that kind of shows my penny pinching side , too . :)

Goes around , comes around .

• 4 weeks later...

Actually, when it's reached this point you need a fine abrasive to cut through it. The Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is a very fine abrasive. Lubricate with a good window and glass cleaner and it'll cut through most films. I use it regularly to detail our cars. Generic erasers are just as good. Jay