bigredhdt

Tire Size

Going to replace steer tires.  I have 275/80R22.5 now, but it seems 295/75R22.5 are more common.  The 295 is same height, about .8" wider.  Any recommendations or advise?

I have run both. As long as they match, you're good.  I seem to remember that Michelin is the only mfr making 275's or something like that.

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 7:11 AM, ARGO said:

I seem to remember that Michelin is the only mfr making 275's or something like that.

Michelin isn't the only one, but in my experience, there does seem to be a pattern.

European manufacturers (Michelin, Continental, etc.) and their second and third tier brands tend to go with the narrower width/taller sidewall sizes, i.e. 275/80R22.5, while North American and Asian manufacturers (Goodyear, Bridgestone, etc.) and their subordinates go with the wider/shorter sidewall variants, like 295/75R22.5.  Both are equivalent as far as load capacity, etc.

When I worked in the tire industry we treated those two sizes as basically interchangeable. As you said they are the same OD and that is all most people care about. Depending on the type of road conditions you drive on there could be a SLIGHT advantage to the wider tire but most people never cared much.