Texas non comericial class A license.

Randy.ferguson

For an RV used only for the RV and no commercial use, you get the Class A or B Exempt.  There is a thread on here that details the Class A and Class B requirements.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

2 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Ask for a class A Driving License. No such critter as a non commercial Class A. There is a CDL and a driving license. DL comes in ClassA, B, C and maybe more.

It's not quite that simple Glenn.  The Class A is a commercial license, unless you ask for and sign an affidavit for an exemption.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

23 hours ago, chirakawa said:

It's not quite that simple Glenn.  The Class A is a commercial license

Nope. There is a Class A, B, C and M "Drivers License" and a Class A, B and C "COMMERCIAL Drivers License". In Texas the licenses all come in 2 flavors. Just because its a "Class A" does not make it a commercial license. Now, you may need to sign an affidavit saying that you are using it for non commercial purposes but that would be to protect DPS from the idiots that would say "but THEY told me this is what I needed". 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

2 hours ago, Big5er said:

Nope. There is a Class A, B, C and M "Drivers License" and a Class A, B and C "COMMERCIAL Drivers License". In Texas the licenses all come in 2 flavors. Just because its a "Class A" does not make it a commercial license. Now, you may need to sign an affidavit saying that you are using it for non commercial purposes but that would be to protect DPS from the idiots that would say "but THEY told me this is what I needed". 

I agree.  My point was that you have to ask for the license to be exempt and you have to sign an affidavit that you are exempt from a CDL.  Otherwise, you will get a CDL.  Glenn said you can just go in and ask for a Class A license and you will get a non-commercial one.  You must apply for the exemption, it is not automatic.

Here's the way the DPS words it............

Class A, B, C, and M driver licenses are issued to individuals who are exempt from obtaining a commercial driver license (CDL) or who are not required to obtain a CDL.

Individuals who are exempt from obtaining a CDL but may need a Class A or Class B driver license are:

• Operators of recreational vehicles driven for personal use
  • Some farmers who meet certain criteria
  • Operators of cotton-seed modules or cotton burrs
  • A fire-fighting or emergency vehicle operator
  • Military vehicle operators
  • Vehicles owned, leased or controlled by an air carrier

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

And I point is it was very simple. I did not sign a affidavit. Word commercial never came. This was in Walker county. Maybe some could make it difficult by saying commercial. And I had forgot about class M.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

2 hours ago, GlennWest said:

And I point is it was very simple. I did not sign a affidavit. Word commercial never came. This was in Walker county. Maybe some could make it difficult by saying commercial. And I had forgot about class M.

I stand corrected Glenn.  I was basing my statement on my own experience.  I had a commercial license for 30 years.  When Texas changed over to the Class A, B, C, system, I told DPS I no longer wanted to have a CDL because of the new costs and requirements.

They told me they would issue me a Class C.  I told them I had to have a Class A.  They told me the only way I could keep a Class A was either to remain CDL or to qualify for an exemption, which I did.  Each time I have renewed my license, I have been required to sign the exemption form.

I suppose my local office has it wrong.

I walked in and asked for a Class A Drivers license.They never asked me about the CDL either...but maybe I said I needed to drive my RV also or something so they knew what I was asking for. I can understand them wanting to clarify the issue so you get the right type of license. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Archived