Why full time?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, mptjelgin said:

I cannot for the life of me imagine spending two full months on PEI.  It is a beautiful area, but quite small with relatively little to do. We'll return this summer while in Maine, but again for only a week or so. 

It's an island with a rich musical culture.  One can go to a ceilidh nearly every night if one wishes.  We kick back and enjoy ourselves with friends at our campground.  One doesn't always have to have lots to things to do or see.. JMO

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

1 minute ago, docj said:

It's an island with a rich musical culture.  One can go to a ceilidh nearly every night if one wishes.  We kick back and enjoy ourselves with friends at our campground.  One doesn't always have to have lots to things to do or see.. JMO

Agree. That wouldn't interest us at all, but different strokes for different folks...

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

1 hour ago, rynosback said:

Good point Linda.  Makes sense to me.

Earlier you brought this point up.... I find it interesting.

I have no yearly taxes and maintenance as a whole is less then a house.  When a big storm comes, I can pack up and move out of the way.  You can not do that in a house.  And if you notice, storms have been getting more powerful and frequent over the last couple of years.

Actually,  I was just curious as to what your thinking is about the desire to full time RV... that's all, and what your reasons were for doing it?   I see that most of you do not to save money ( I'm not sure it really saves money if you don't do work camp or something like this or boondock),  some of you actually don't care about saving money.   OK.... I understand. 

There's two points in the paragraph above;.  yes, we do certainly pay property taxes on the house, we also pay expensive registration taxes on the cars and the RV.... although our property taxes are extremely low since we've been in our house so long and they are capped ...The RV registration went up dramatically last year as well as our cars.....So, we're paying over $1,000 yearly for the registrations....that's an annual tax..

i imagine that you have to pay something for registration on your RV?    That essentially is a property tax. ?    And there's always yearly maintenance? 

Plus, because my Sprinter is a diesel, it has to be serviced every year for an oil, and filters change, that's another $400 per year minimum. 

Regarding storms; we don't really get storms of this magnitude, but, we could have an earthquake....no way to predict that in the future.....it just can happen...The RV is our mobile domincle and in case of an emergency/ Earthquake...yes, we could use that ...In 1994, we had a powerful Earthquake, and having the RV would have been helpful....

After that 90 day trip, which was quite an adventure for us, and we saw some fantastic places and traveled to many states.....We realized that living on the road was definitely not for us... maybe it works for some people... 

To answer you, Linda and anyone else who is wondering, my wife is not pushing me nor is anyone else suggesting that we try full time..,. In fact, my wife doesn't really drive the RV...has driven once or twice....   

The whole reason I brought this question up was I was interested in hearing what motivated people to full time RV... money, life style,or what?   I think it's pretty safe to say that all of you have various reasons and someone confirmed that the largest majority of RV people just do it part time....  

This has been a great discussion, but, has probably run it's course.  Thank you all for your contributions. 

5 hours ago, mptjelgin said:

As far as the drive from Texas to Maine, this will be our third round trip. There is a huge variety of places to see and experience. Last year we went north into the midwest and then across. 

This will be our fourth trip to Maritime Canada. Having lived on the East Cost for more than 30 years we've seen plenty of the things between Texas and there.  In addition, after 65,000 miles of full-timing we have seen quite a bit in our 8 years.   

But I don't have to justify our approach to full-timing to anyone.  We do what works for us.  What I dislike about this thread (and others like it) are comments along the lines of "I guess this is a form of full-timing" as if some "purist" is judging whether or not our lifestyle is sufficiently conformist enough to claim the right to use the full-timer label.   When we were new at this (full-timing) we actually paid attention to such people; now we simply ignore them.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

19 minutes ago, docj said:

What I dislike about this thread (and others like it) are comments along the lines of "I guess this is a form of full-timing" as if some "purist" is judging whether or not our lifestyle is sufficiently conformist enough to claim the right to use the full-timer label.   When we were new at this (full-timing) we actually paid attention to such people; now we simply ignore them.

No offense intended. Just noting that there are many different types of full-timing and it is not a one-definition fits all term.  Probably about time for me to wrap this one up...

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

1 hour ago, Roadtrek 1 said:

Earlier you brought this point up.... I find it interesting.

I have no yearly taxes and maintenance as a whole is less then a house.  When a big storm comes, I can pack up and move out of the way.  You can not do that in a house.  And if you notice, storms have been getting more powerful and frequent over the last couple of years.

Actually,  I was just curious as to what your thinking is about the desire to full time RV... that's all, and what your reasons were for doing it?

Posted on the first page.

I see that most of you do not to save money ( I'm not sure it really saves money if you don't do work camp or something like this or boondock),  some of you actually don't care about saving money.   OK.... I understand. 

Don’t save money? It is not about the money, it is about the adventure.  We do not work camp, boondock, park at Wolly World.  We are at a campground 365.

There's two points in the paragraph above;.  yes, we do certainly pay property taxes on the house, we also pay expensive registration taxes on the cars and the RV.... although our property taxes are extremely low since we've been in our house so long and they are capped ...The RV registration went up dramatically last year as well as our cars.....So, we're paying over $1,000 yearly for the registrations....that's an annual tax..

i imagine that you have to pay something for registration on your RV? 

We pay $400-$500 and year for tags for our truck, 5ver and car.  

That essentially is a property tax. ?   

We own my Mothers house and property insurance was raised 30%.  That was a HUGE shocker.  I am guessing it has gone up so much because of all the bad storms causing BILLIONS in damage that have been claimed.

And there's always yearly maintenance? 

Lube certain things, clean certain things and keep air pressures proper on the rig.

oil changes, tire rotations on the 2 vehicles.  Maintenance anyone with a vehicle has.

Plus, because my Sprinter is a diesel, it has to be serviced every year for an oil, and filters change, that's another $400 per year minimum. 

I service my Ram 3500 yearly for $60. And fuel filter about every 2 years.  Maintenance on all vehicles are needed if you want them to last.

Regarding storms; we don't really get storms of this magnitude, but, we could have an earthquake....no way to predict that in the future.....it just can happen...The RV is our mobile domincle and in case of an emergency/ Earthquake...yes, we could use that ...In 1994, we had a powerful Earthquake, and having the RV would have been helpful....

storms are happening in places that they have not happened in decades.  Look at Vegas just getting snow.  Wild fires in CA are getting worse and eating up more  acreage. Then comes the rain causing mudslides.  I believe Mother Earth is PISSED on how we treat her and showing us. As you said, no one can predict the future.  A lot of people say that fracking is causing more earthquakes.

After that 90 day trip, which was quite an adventure for us, and we saw some fantastic places and traveled to many states.....We realized that living on the road was definitely not for us... maybe it works for some people... 

To answer you, Linda and anyone else who is wondering, my wife is not pushing me nor is anyone else suggesting that we try full time..,. In fact, my wife doesn't really drive the RV...has driven once or twice....   

my wife has not or does not have any interest in driving our rig but LOVES the lifestyle of full timing. She says when I die, she will sell the rig where I parked it.

The whole reason I brought this question up was I was interested in hearing what motivated people to full time RV... money, life style,or what?   I think it's pretty safe to say that all of you have various reasons and someone confirmed that the largest majority of RV people just do it part time....  

This has been a great discussion, but, has probably run it's course.  Thank you all for your contributions. 

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Just now, rm.w/aview said:

scene ends: Everyone waves goodnight and walks back to their RV and stick and bricks home as someone is heard saying "That was some weekend ya?"... fade to black 

Sorry had to edit your post.  

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 4:53 PM, Roadtrek 1 said:

Is it really less expensive than a home?   What about health care and your regular doctors? 

There are too many variables to that question.  It would depend on amount owed, taxes, upkeep, etc.  As far as health care, nothing changed for us.  During the winter while back in Florida we schedule our annual visits with our regular doctors.  If we need to see someone while on the road then it is no big deal, our insurance covers.

I love the part time thing, but, full time?  I don't see the benefits.... especially as I get older. 

The were two benefits for us.  Money and peace of mind.  We were traveling 8 months in a gas coach and maintaining a Florida pool home.  We wanted to travel in a DP coach so we could take a car and motorcycle along.  We could not afford both home and DP coach.  Plus I was tired of getting calls in the summer that a pool pump had failed, or our lawn service had missed mowing, etc.

Plus, the rig just depreciates so fast and then there's the issues of repairs... where do you go when your home is in the shop getting fixed? 

There is nothing you can do about depreciation.  It can be limited by buying as cheap as possible and maintaining correctly, but you will pay for those RV miles.  

All of this seems very complicated to me.... maybe you have a better plan? 

We enjoy traveling and exploring new places.  If there was one thing we have learned soon after retirement it is that the "clock is ticking".  Our health is very good but we have had some very close friends in the last three years that haven't experienced our luck.  We are enjoying each and every day as full timers.  None of it is complicated and we don't really have a plan.   

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

13 hours ago, rynosback said:

There is nothing to over complicate here.  As they have no interest in full timing.

So , 4 pages to figure out that everyone is different isn't an over complication ?

I guess we didn't have anything else to do .

Meh .

Goes around , comes around .

On 2/22/2019 at 2:53 PM, Roadtrek 1 said:

Is it really less expensive than a home?   What about health care and your regular doctors? 

I love the part time thing, but, full time?  I don't see the benefits.... especially as I get older. 

Plus, the rig just depreciates so fast and then there's the issues of repairs... where do you go when your home is in the shop getting fixed?  

You're thinking this out right! Those are legitimate concerns that must be addressed at some point. But Thousands have have worked it out so there is a way if you want to try.

It takes time and comes with its fair share of anxiety in my experience. I still don't have all bases covered but enough so I sleep soundly! I stumbled into full time completely unprepared! 

I'm lucky in that most of your concerns are a wash for me.

Cheaper... depends on current lifestyle. If you're home in California I'd say YES! If New Mexico... maybe not.

If you're happy; stay put! If you're stuck in a rut give it a shot! On top of maintaining a home it could be expensive but I don't see it as break the bank more expensive if you sell home. Even the best RV resorts are "only" ~$1000 month (with great ones $500-600).  Figure an RV financed payment of $300-$1000 (mines only $300)  and you're looking at an $800-$2000 month minimal nut to crack. LOTS of ways to cut down on that number! Insurance etc comes no matter where you are. 

Some folks are better off with a new big screen tv and a La-Z-Boy. Some of us are too restless to sit still for long! That's the advantage for me! For the past 3 years I was on the verge of 30 day notice and move to ???? I had no clue where I wanted to be! Bought my Airstream so I can travel around till I find a place... or not!

Final thought... IME no matter how well I planned I was still not ready for the emotional trip out of the neighborhood into the "unknown". I was and am still amped for the challenge but If I coulda turned the clock back and NOT decided on the RV life I would have at that moment! I considered moving back but now ~12 weeks in I'm just looking for new horizons!

Best wishes in your decisions!

Az Tex

I would prefer part-time cause I can't able to manage my pets inside the RV and for my husband, it's more comfortable than living in an RV. It's up to you if you love to be full-timers just go with it or else leave. But some people enjoying to be full-timer there is nothing complicated. If you like something just do it. Thank you!

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 4:53 PM, Roadtrek 1 said:

You started a thread with a question about full timing.  After 4 pages of discussion it soon became obvious that you would never consider such a lifestyle and you just wanted to have a platform to argue your point of view.  

This is what I think it boils down to after everyone has voiced their opinions.  There are two types of senior citizens in this country.  

Senior Citizen A:  this person worked at a career all their life.  They traveled a little but never "wasted" money and continued to try to accumulate money until the end.  On the last day of their life when they knew the end was near their thoughts were "I am so thankful my quarterly dividend check just went into my account" and "I sure wish I would have traveled more and experienced more things during my last 10 years".  At this person's funeral there will be numerous family members paying their respects mainly due to their expectations of forthcoming money from his/her estate.  There will only be a handful of friends attending, most of which live in his immediate neighborhood.

Senior Citizen B:  this person also worked at a career all their life.  They decided early on during retirement that they were not going to sit around a house but instead they were going to travel this great country in an RV with the time they had left.  On the last day of their life when they knew the end was near their thoughts were "I hate leaving so many friends behind" and "wow, the last 10 years just flew by and were some of the best of my life".  At this person's funeral there will also be numerous family members paying their respects.  The family will be shocked and amazed at how many rows are filled with dozens of close friends.

RV part time, RV full time, or save all your money and don't RV at all.  It is up to each and every one of us how we want to spend the last couple innings of this ballgame.  Just remember, there are no do-overs.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

1 hour ago, FL-JOE said:

RV part time, RV full time, or save all your money and don't RV at all.  It is up to each and every one of us how we want to spend the last couple innings of this ballgame.  Just remember, there are no do-overs.

Now ain't that the truth ;)     There's doers and talkers and each and everyone's individual personality/comfort levels will dictate exactly how we spend our lives at all stages.   We all pay our money and make our choices, which typically have been moulded by our upbringing, those we've associated with, experiences along the passage of time, various connections of family/friends and those have impacted greatly on our own individual personalities.

Do WHAT YOU want, WHEN YOU want and don't worry about what everybody else is doing, thinking or saying about YOUR CHOICE.

Happy Travels.  

6 hours ago, FULLTIMEWANABE said:

Now ain't that the truth ;)     There's doers and talkers and each and everyone's individual personality/comfort levels will dictate exactly how we spend our lives at all stages.   We all pay our money and make our choices, which typically have been moulded by our upbringing, those we've associated with, experiences along the passage of time, various connections of family/friends and those have impacted greatly on our own individual personalities.

Do WHAT YOU want, WHEN YOU want and don't worry about what everybody else is doing, thinking or saying about YOUR CHOICE.

Happy Travels.  

X2 Joe and F!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived